Question

WiFi Calling not working with Samsung Galaxy S7

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I recently ported my number to iD Mobile. All ok, except that WiFi Calling is not working on my Galaxy S7 (Android ver. 8.0.0).

And under Phone/Settings there is no option to enable it.

However, on the iD website the Galaxy S7 is listed as compatible with WiFi Calling.

I really need it since mobile coverage is terrible at home, in fact I moved to iD specifically because of this feature, which works fine on my other phone (Galaxy S9, also with iD).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @gs1956_2000,

Welcome to the Community!

You’ll need to ensure that the software is up to date on your handset.

Please can you try the below to see if it forces Wi-Fi Calling.

1. Enable Wi-Fi Calling
  2. Place the handset into Airplane mode
  3. Enable Wi-Fi only

This should force the handset to show Wi-Fi calling.

If the option still doesn’t show, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @gs1956_2000,

Welcome to the Community!

You’ll need to ensure that the software is up to date on your handset.

Please can you try the below to see if it forces Wi-Fi Calling.

1. Enable Wi-Fi Calling
  2. Place the handset into Airplane mode
  3. Enable Wi-Fi only

This should force the handset to show Wi-Fi calling.

If the option still doesn’t show, please let us know.

Kash

Thanks Kash, but unfortunately this didn’t work.

The software is up to date, including the Phone app.

As I said, under Phone/Settings there is no option to enable WIFI Calling. And toggling Airplane mode (even with a restart) doesn’t do anything.

By the way, I checked to see whether by any chance Wi-Fi Calling was working even without the option showing in Settings; but unfortunately it doesn’t.

What I would like to know, is whether anyone out there is using Wi-Fi Calling with a Galaxy 7 and an iD SIM; if (in spite of what iD say) the handset is just not compatible, at least I will not waste my time (and yours) trying to make it work…

But I’m grateful for any suggestion.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Was the device purchased SIM free or via a network? Where Android is concerned, networks like to customise the firmware and this often restricts access to some features or services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@gs1956_2000,

Please let us know the answer to what @WelshPaul advised and we can advise further.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Was the device purchased SIM free or via a network? Where Android is concerned, networks like to customise the firmware and this often restricts access to some features or services.

Thanks.

It was purchased refurbished, SIM-free.

And I have a vague recollection that the feature worked with one of my previous providers (which I abandoned in search of a better deal - I’ve been through quite a few over the past years).

If it is down to the provider, though, couldn’t iD enable the feature at their end? Or does anyone know of a viable work-around?

In the end I could buy another handset, or change network once more; but I wouldn’t want to do so, only to find myself in the same position…. 🙄

Userlevel 1

By the way: how do you get beyond the chatbot (which simply doesn’t understand the question) to a real person? I tried, but no joy.

Userlevel 1

Stop press. 

I did manage to chat to an agent, but the answer was that there’s nothing they can do at their end.

They said I need to speak to Samsung or go to Curry’s.  Not very satisfactory….

I will explore Samsung discussion boards, perhaps go to Curry’s. Has anyone had (and perhaps solved) the same problem?

Userlevel 1

Spoke to Samsung, here is their answer:

“I'm still checking from our end to confirm if S7's compatible with S7 as the option is also not showing on our sample device Settings here. 
But, if your Network provider is claiming that it should be compatible and still not showing on your Phone app Settings, then this is still within your Network provider. They should be the one to enable this on their system for this be available as your option 
Just to set your proper expectation, this feature may require activation by sending an appropriate software or your network provider may need to install an application to use it. With that being said, I am highly recommending to contact your network provider so for them to be able to maximize its usage.”

So, this is a bit confusing… or rather, perfectly clear.  Passing the buck, I think this is called.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

By the way: how do you get beyond the chatbot (which simply doesn’t understand the question) to a real person? I tried, but no joy.

Just type “talk to a person” and select “Customer Service” option.

🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Spoke to Samsung, here is their answer:

“I'm still checking from our end to confirm if S7's compatible with S7 as the option is also not showing on our sample device Settings here. 
But, if your Network provider is claiming that it should be compatible and still not showing on your Phone app Settings, then this is still within your Network provider. They should be the one to enable this on their system for this be available as your option 
Just to set your proper expectation, this feature may require activation by sending an appropriate software or your network provider may need to install an application to use it. With that being said, I am highly recommending to contact your network provider so for them to be able to maximize its usage.”

So, this is a bit confusing… or rather, perfectly clear.  Passing the buck, I think this is called.

To be fair, the S7 is 8 years old. That’s ancient when it comes to mobile technology, so you can’t blame Samsung or iD Mobile for not wanting to waste too much time on your query. It’s possible that Wi-Fi calling has changed considerably since it was added to the list of supported devices all those years ago. Maybe time to think of upgrading? You could switch networks but risk paying more per month for the privilege and even then, Wi-Fi calling may still not work on that handset.

Why iD Mobile?