Question

Your Network Coverage is abysmal in Central London

• 15 February 2023
  • 13 replies

Having only praised ID Mobile for the speed and ease of porting my mobile number from EE to ID, today I’m having serious concerns about what I’ve done.

I work in the entertainment industry and need my phone to work in and around Central London. Today is the first day I have been in London since changing to ID and I have to say I have serious concerns about the effectiveness of your service.

In Covent Garden I was unable to access any apps or services simply because the signal strength was so poor. At best I was getting 1 and at a push 2 bars of signal strength and only on a 4G signal. Being unable to access apps or data and even receive phone calls in this area is a big no no.

I have a 5G enabled phone and whilst the signal is strong where I live, being mobile means that such a service should be consistent across the board. Also when I’m in doors I use my home wi fi service so signal strength isn’t an issue and nor should it be an issue when I am in the capital City!

At best I managed a 4G service and even this would revert to 3G, where is the 5G service promised?

If this happens again I strongly suspect that that I will need to leave you whilst I’m still within my 14 day period.

Are there any guarntees offered as to consistency of service in central London, if not - goodbye?!

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello Spotlight61, welcome to the community.

I am very sorry to hear this, and it is quite strange in Central London. Had you tried a reboot at all? Often if the network is busy, especially in a built up area, a reboot will refresh your connection. 

Rebooted - twice and still an embarrassing failure.

To be standing in a queue and trying and waiting to load an app and then having to leave the store to see if you could gain any signal strength but realsiing the whole area is a dead zone is not a good look and especially so early on in my contract.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question. If only the ID mobile signal was as quick as your reply!! 

So I have just done an in doors test. I turned Wi-Fi off and waited to see what would happen. Apparently where I live is covered by 5G and is decribed as a good service area! I am getting 1 to 3 bars of signal strength in a good area. Soerthing isn’t right here! Also just to say on EE I was getting a 5G service in the area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Spotlight61 

Have you checked the postcode you’re having issues in on the iD Mobile coverage checker and the Three UK outage checker?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes. All done. 

There was no outage.

And your own checker confirms that areas in and around London have no signal or poor quality signal.

Regrettably this is in areas where I work and so not having a mobile signal is not acceptable nor practicable.

Th check and check again does seem to be ID Mobiles go to. Check the checker, check the Three checker and then what?

There is a problem. Checking the checker isn’t going to solve the problem. ID Mobile and I’m sure other mobile providers have issues in and around London. Not issues I encountered with EE!

It would seem that this problem isn’t going to be rectified any time soon, if at all. The problem is soley Three’s coverage and, therefore, because you use Three on a piggy back service it reflects on ID Mobile too.

I think it best that I leave ID Mobile and give another operator a go before sheepishly returning to EE.

I did send an email explaining all of this and await a reply.

Thank you for replying to my initial message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Tom,

Yes. All done. 

There was no outage.

And your own checker confirms that areas in and around London have no signal or poor quality signal.

Regrettably this is in areas where I work and so not having a mobile signal is not acceptable nor practicable.

Th check and check again does seem to be ID Mobiles go to. Check the checker, check the Three checker and then what?

There is a problem. Checking the checker isn’t going to solve the problem. ID Mobile and I’m sure other mobile providers have issues in and around London. Not issues I encountered with EE!

It would seem that this problem isn’t going to be rectified any time soon, if at all. The problem is soley Three’s coverage and, therefore, because you use Three on a piggy back service it reflects on ID Mobile too.

I think it best that I leave ID Mobile and give another operator a go before sheepishly returning to EE.

I did send an email explaining all of this and await a reply.

Thank you for replying to my initial message.

Hey @Spotlight61,

The email you send to is managed by our Team also so would just be duplicating the contact as we manage both that inbox and the Community inbox.

Can you confirm your full postcode so I can take a look into this further for you?

EE and Three UK have different masts so whilst you may have had 5G with EE you may not with iD Mobile.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed,

I was contacted yesterday by Kashif in your socials team and we were communicating via email and then it all stopped.

Kashif appeared happy to create a return for the SIM card and close the account, if this is an option then I need to know and put in place an alternative mobile operator and port my number.

Also as I am within the cooling off period I should not be charged beyond what I have used.

I accept that EE and Three masts are different and this will impact the signal I receive and therein lays the problem both at work and at home the signal strength is poor despite all of the checks telling me otherwise. I have yet to see any evidence of 5G.

To answer your question; IG8 7AX

I look forward to hearing from you.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There appears to be a network fault or reduced capability at your postcode @Spotlight61.

This does not explain the consistent failure of your network since 10th February when the SIM was first used in the iPhone.

Also focussing on my immediate area does not address the failure of your network in and around where I work in central London.

Whilst at home my phone is connected to my Wi-Fi and so accessing the internet is not an issue.

It is an issue when out of the home and not being able to have a signal that enables calls or access to the internet is a failure of ID Mobile to meet the promises it makes.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Spotlight61, I don’t work for iD but none of the UK mobile networks guarantee 100% signal reception all the time in every location.

Sounds like you got the mobile data service you wanted with the EE network, so what prompted the switch to iD Mobile? Maybe the best thing to do is cancel in your cooling-off period, and switch back to EE.

Good luck whatever you decide @Spotlight61.

Thank you.

I truly get confused as to who I’m talking to on here at times. I thought I was responding to Mohammed from ID Mobile, who contacted me earlier via the Community Message Board.

I left EE as their charges became a luxury, which given the other demands upon our finances isn’t one I could justify. You hope that other mobile providers will offer a similar level of service but I’m now realising that is the case.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply and apologies if I appeared direct!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

No worries @Spotlight61, the iD community is supposed to be a place where users help one another, but because iD support can be difficult to contact people post to the community out of frustration. iD Mobile also (in my opinion) disingenuously suggest 24/7 support by using the iD community.

In addition, iD’s moderators only check-in once a day, sometimes less frequently, to catch-up with user posts. For more time critical support the live chat service, or the social media support team on Facebook or Twitter work better.

For me there’s a reason why iD Mobile tariffs are lower than competitors - good luck @Spotlight61.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Spotlight61,

Our email contact is responded to witihn 72-hours so if you have responded accepting @Kash’s offer then please await a response and we’ll get back to you to sort this.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?