Skip to main content
Solved

4G signal poor

Been a 3/ID customer for 7 years or so. Recently 4G signal so poor as to unworkable at times. ID say there’s nothing wrong, fault must be at my end. It isn’t. Newish contract phone works just fine. No changes in the local environment. I have line of site with the mast. Issues affecting wife’s ID phone and our 4G (Smarty/Three) router.

Ombudsman case rejected as ‘out of their remit’, I’m in a low speed 4G area, and ‘I’ve still been able to use data’. Will be forced to reinstall home broadband. See no reason why I should continue paying £40 a month for unlimited data, when for large parts of the day I can hardly use it. The low speed 4G always used to be decent enough. I’m not using massive amounts of data, but I can’t do a fair bit of what I used to be able to.

Any ideas? Short of cancelling and seeing ID in court, I’m stuck!

Cheers, Jon

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @XSPCSJH10, welcome to Community!

We're very sorry to hear you're having issues with coverage.

Please take a look at our coverage checker, which will show you what your signal strength should be like in your area, for all of 3G/4G/5G, for both indoors and outdoors.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage#coverage-info

Furthermore, please take a look at our network partner Three's network status checker, which will show if there is any maintenance or performance upgrades going on in your area. If the website states that's the case, then it's likely that this is disrupting your coverage, and we hope that this is resolved soon for you.

https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

Please take a look at both of these. If you believe you should be experiencing better signal than you are, or if the networks status checker on Three's website isn't showing any upgrades or maintenance, then please let us know, and we’ll PM you to investigate further.

Kind regards,

Tyler

Userlevel 1

Thanks Tyler. Yes both status checkers are not reporting any issues, and both report and excellent LTE 4G service.

Best wishes, Jon

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @XSPCSJH10 

Sorry to hear this, please could you let us know the postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

Have you also tested in other areas?

Does the issue extend everywhere?

In reference to your ombudsman case, have you been deadlocked?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hello Tom

Yes,.phone fine elsewhere. Bandwidth issues locally. Too many users for the amount of signal coming from the mast. Affects our 4G router and my wife's phone. Always at peak usage time.

Case gone through the Ombudsman. No minimum standards, so no case apparently. But I'm stuck with a £40 contract phone with unlimited data, that I cannot use properly at home.

Just had to reinstall broadband,.so now paying.a further £26 a month that I shouldn't have to.

Been a Three / ID customer for 7 years or more. This will be the last time.

Jonathan 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @XSPCSJH10, we’re sorry to hear that.

Has there been any improvement at all over the past few weeks, or same issues persisting?

Thanks,

Tyler

Userlevel 1

Hi

Largely the same.

Now have broadband installed and largely using that to be fair.

Vaguely weather related, but potentially more people inside using the 4G signal, rather than a fault at the mast per se. Worse at peak times, and all points to bandwidth issues.

My main concern now, is how to reduce the cost of my 24 month contract, or recover the cost.of.my new broadband replacement. ID say nothing doing, and Ombudsman supports that position due to no.miminum 4G standards. My case is I D aren't honouring their side of the contract by providing a workable 4G signal, when I'm paying for it on an unlimited data contract.

Short of stopping my direct debit and / or going to court, I'm stuck.

Jonathan 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @XSPCSJH10, we’re really sorry to hear that.

In this case, please can you contact our live-chat ASAP to raise this further to our technical team to investigate for yourself please?

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Thanks,

Tyler

Userlevel 1

Spoken to Live Chat months ago. Not very helpful. From a desktop in wherever in the world, they tell me there are no issues. If they were sat in my living room with little bandwidth and signal speed, they might come to a different conclusion.

Jonathan

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @XSPCSJH10 ,

I would advise that you get back to the team and they can raise a ticket if required.

Alternatively please get back to us here and we can PM you.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thanks, but no thanks. Been there, done that. No fault on the line so to speak. Nothing to do with us.

No liability, no acceptance of fault.

Direct debit canceled. See you in court!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @XSPCSJH10 

Please note cancelled direct debits don’t stop payments being owed, only stop payments being paid, you’ll still owe them and this may affect your credit file.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Breach of contract Tom, as far as I'm concerned. I took out an unlimited data contract on the basis of ID providing a reasonable 4G signal and usable data speed. It has for the past 7 years or so, so why would I not expect something similar.

I am now paying an addition £28 a month for a broadband connection, because ID are no longer providing what I signed up for. I am not receiving the service from ID, so why should. I pay for it?

Jonathan

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @XSPCSJH10,

We can send you a PM and raise a ticket if you would like?

The team can check for any issues.

Kash

Userlevel 1

The team have confirmed that there are no issues Kash, but that is rubbish. At times the data speed is almost non existent. You think a ticket and another look at it is going to make a difference? You think ID are going to knock the extra £28 I'm now paying for broadband off my tariff?

If you can answer Yes to either of the 2 questions posed, then game on. If not, then it's pointless, and the courts it is.

Cheers, Jonathan 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @XSPCSJH10 

Okay, if you don’t wish us to take a look into that’s totally up to you.

Tom