Solved

Calls switching to 3G

Userlevel 1

Hi

Im new to iD, I use to be on EE who have lately become expensive and I tried the dreadful Lyca mobile anyway after realising the 3 network is the only network with 5G around my small town I used their PAYG sim to test out the speeds I now thought I’d try one of their MVNO’s - the speeds seem similar, however I’ve noticed when making a call through 3 I’m on the 4G band but when I make a call through iD it always switches to the 3G band everytime, I tried asking customer service through live chat and they insist they no longer use the 3G band, can’t find much online - I also don’t have a VoLTE toggle switch but I didn’t with 3 either I’ve only ever seen that with the short spell I was with Lyca Mobile - I only joined today and have an ESIM installed on my iPhone 13 Pro - any help or suggestions welcome - Thanks

icon

Best answer by Scotchydog 15 May 2024, 11:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Do you live in the Midlands area where Three UK have turned-off their 3G network, @Scotchydog?

Userlevel 1

I’m just outside the red area near Manchester - I find it strange how both 3 and ID sims both don’t have VoLTE option and use same network but 3 calls over 4G and ID calls over 3G - What happens if I leave it and 3G gets switched off would be unable to make calls?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m just outside the red area near Manchester - I find it strange how both 3 and ID sims both don’t have VoLTE option and use same network but 3 calls over 4G and ID calls over 3G - What happens if I leave it and 3G gets switched off would be unable to make calls?

What happens if you use your iPhone for calling from somewhere inside the red area, @Scotchydog?

If you can’t call out after 3G switch-off, you might need to find a new service provider.

An iPhone 13 Pro is shown as being iD Mobile APPROVED, supported for iD 4G Calling and iD WiFi Calling services on their virtual network. 

However, I suspect iD Mobile have NOT tested the iPhone 13 Pro on their network using their recently launched eSIM device.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite - I think I found the problem or the solution however you want to look at it - I had been running both SIM cards - 3 physical has my original number the one every knows has of me and now I’m the process of moving to my Id eSIM - so have both installed and switch between the 2 until I worked out this problem

Since resetting network settings and selecting my iD as primary it seems to have forced 4G calling over I’m now confident I can switch my number and start using it on iD- was wondering why nobody else seemed to have this problem but all sorted now

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Scotchydog 

Glad to hear you’ve found a solution to this one, welcome to iD Mobile.

Tom