Question

Connection to Non-Web Services and servers

• 10 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello. I am a frequent user of atypical internet services (e.g.: communications outside of typical ports for web 80, 443 or email IMAP 993,143 and SMTP 465,587,25)

I connect regularly to servers (computers used to serve web and other internet services) and i often make remote connections to individual’s desktops to provide on-the-spot assistance

I have found that since using iD mobile, those connections are repeatedly disconnected making them painful to use. No such interruptions exist during web-based audio/video streaming, although it’s possible a sizeable buffer would cover for any interruptions

I cannot completely rule out my PC or hardware are at fault, or that my location relative to nearest 3-network transmitter is the cause, but the evidence i have suggests otherwise:

1. a Lebara SIM (Vodaphone) using the exact same set-up does not exhibit these issues
  2. my signal strength is at maximum, as the coverage here is excellent
  3. speed tests such as netmeter.co.uk indicate very good PING and transmission speeds in both directions but the tests do not complete; they are interrupted a few seconds into the measurements and so only give partial results

I was not able to find any information relating to iD policy with regard to internet connectivity and filtration thereof (aside from a default adult content filter)

Many thanks in advance for anyone with knowledge on these matters

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @plants,

Has this happened since joining?

It could be an issue with the coverage that’s causing this or it could be an issue with the connection to the server/VPN.

I’m not a networking expert so I really can’t comment in depth on this but I can’t find anything in the T&Cs that prevent or dissallow connections to a server.

We just don’t allow Artificially inflated Traffic or GSM Gateaways. 

Mohammed

Hello Mohammed. Thanks for your input.

Yes, this has been consistent since i began using the service less than one month ago. I used the remote assistance app “Anydesk” yesterday for an hour and was being disconnected every 5 minutes or so. Luckily there is a feature that automatically resumes the previous connection, or it would have been very difficult to proceed

Can you point me in the direction of an explanation of those two terms you mentioned, just in case there is any overlap in how i am using the service and how these terms are interpreted

Many thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

From the iD Mobile terms & conditions: 

"Artificially Inflated Traffic" means any situation where the flow of calls, SMS, MMS and/or data to any particular revenue share service and/or GSM Gateway is, as a result of any activity on or on behalf of the party operating that revenue share service or GSM Gateway, disproportionate to the flow of calls which would be expected from good faith commercial practice and usage of the Network;

"GSM Gateway" means a single point of access to a GSM network capable of using multiple SIM Cards;

Good luck @plants

Thanks for the clarification, i won’t be indulging in those practices!

After a busy day’s work using my Lebara SIM, there’s clear difference in how the 3 network and Vodaphone implement their connectivity policies. No problems with disconnection via Vodaphone, and today via 3, constant timeouts / disconnects...

Does anyone know how / if i can contact who would be responsible for overseeing network policy directly, rather that going through live chat?

Many thanks for your assistance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @plants 

I’ll feed this back to the teams responsible.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?