Skip to main content

Lost 5G since switch to ID

Yesterday I was with THREE and had full 5G coverage. Today I completed the switch to ID Mobile. Same phone, same network, same location. But in my phone settings under Preferred network type, the 5G option has disappeared. It is nothing to do with the network coverage - I checked and there is no 5G outage in the THREE network in my area. Even if there was, it wouldn’t change my phone’s settings. The only difference is I now have an ID Mobile SIM rather than a THREE SIM. I now wonder whether ID Mobile have only enabled 5G coverage on esim’s (mine is a physical one). Or perhaps they are still rolling out 5G coverage, but they should make this clear. For my own use, 4G is sufficient, but not for everyone. And I don’t buy the idea the fault is with the network or the phone. Forgive me if I am wrong.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Morning @Orthodox David,

Sounds like a strange issue, as our network uses the Three infrastructure. Which Make and Model are you using, and is it one of our 5G approved handsets? You can double check here:

Thanks.

Mine is a Nokia X10 running on Android 13. It works fine with 5G on a THREE direct contract, which is why I was surprised it didn't work with ID, though you use the same network. No Nokia phone is on your list of "5G approved handsets". Has ID somehow barred "non-approved" handsets from receiving 5G?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We don’t bar ‘non-approved’ handsets’. The list above are devices we’ve tested and know to work with iD 5G. Thanks.

Thanks Matthew. You say ID don’t bar non-approved handsets, but see the response by Tom of ID Mobile to a thread of 11 months ago:  “Unfortunately we can only officially support the devices on our supported devices list, our SIMs may work in devices not on that list, however could be feature restricts, such as 5G not being available.” The person who started the thread switched to another network, so you lost a customer over it. I tried to send the link but it doesn’t work here. The title is “Nokia 5g phones not in supported phones list”. 

Can this be escalated to someone in ID Mobile who can  fix the problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @Orthodox David. It’s not something that can be ‘fixed’ unfortunately. Our supported device list are ones we can guarantee 5G coverage on, as we’ve tested them on our network (more often than not these are models we have sold through our various channels). There are 1000s of other devices that may work with 5G, but we cannot guarantee this. Thanks.

Thanks Matthew. I still wonder why 5G doesn’t work on the Nokia X10 with ID Mobile but does work with THREE, even though they use the same network. There must be some difference in the protocols (far above my pay grade!) For the time being, I’ll just have to use 4G.

My situation is exactly the same..5G on Three, only 4G when transferred to ID Mobile. My phone is on the supported list, the Pixel 7 Pro and nothing changed apart from the SIM card..

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mrjengo - have you tried loading iD’s APN settings?

Thanks.

Yeah, I've tried that. Still no 5G.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

In that case @Mrjengo, I’d recommend speaking to our Live Chat team, who can escalate with Three UK. Thanks.