Solved

No signal .. even with a new SIM card

• 13 September 2022
  • 16 replies

I have been using iD Mobile without problems for 3 or 4 years, then a couple of weeks ago i noticed that there was no signal and an error kept cropping up if I tried to make a call.

i left it for a couple of days then decided to investigate.

i don’t know how ..but I eventually got to a chat line on the iD Mobile site and was told i had an old SIM. A replacement would be sent to me. This arrived on Sunday. I installed it but a message stated that it can take up to 24 hours until it  will work.

A few hours later I get a text from iD Mobile saying all is OK.

Great, i assumed that would be that .. i made a couple of calls to check .. all fine

Yesterday I note the same  .. somebody said he tried to ring me without any luck. A text was sent which i received over 2 hours later

Again now, not signal is showing. Under settings (Nokia 7+) mobile network has message ‘Emergency calls only’

I look for networks and O2 and Vodafone only, indicated as forbidden. I tried 10 minutes ago, iD was there, i clicked on it but that froze the phone.

As  say, I have had this iD account for m3 or 4 years, in the same house without problems.

HELP !

icon

Best answer by andewhite 13 September 2022, 14:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Update !

Sorry, forgot to mention, I can’t find the chat line option now on the website to ask directly

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @wbmkk, pop your postcode into the status checker for Three UK network faults, which is online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.

The (Three UK) network status is updated every 30 minutes.

In my experience, the best way of contacting iD Mobile is through their social media customer support team via facebook (with Messenger), or Twitter (by DM (direct message)).

Out-of-hours messages left on facebook or Twitter are handled when the iD social media team next start work - anyway, good luck.

Okay @wbmkk, pop your postcode into the status checker for Three UK network faults, which is online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.

Thank you. 

I actually checked that this morning and it was saying all is fine.

However I have just been to the centre of town (Whitley Bay) and the signal was great. Back home again now and once again .. nothing !

Tried outside and still no signal .. maybe time to try a different network

A pity, as I’ve been with ID for 3 or 4 years without any problems at all

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems a little odd after 3 or 4 years without an issue. 
Perhaps Three UK have turned OFF their 3G network in your area, which they’ll be doing nationwide between now and end of 2024 (see here).

Maybe try some PAYG SIM cards with different networks to check the coverage before you switch.

While you’re at home, you could use Wi-Fi Calling, if your handset support this service from iD.

You can check this online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling - scroll down to the “How do I get Wi-Fi Calling?” section.

Anyway, good luck @wbmkk

Yes, it’s strange.

My phone (Nokia 7+) isn’t compatible.

I can use Wattsapp to call out, but no everybody uses Wattsap to call me .. why would they even think about it, if they were calling me form the first time.

I’m awaiting another new SIM, so I’ll try that but if it’s the same I’ll just have to join another network.

Shame, but just how it goes .. can';t be having a no signal phone :(

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @wbmkk, yes unfortunately your Nokia handset isn’t an approved handset. The iD list of approved devices is online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

Also, with Three UK turning OFF their 3G network, you may find it difficult to continue using your handset on the iD network.
All UK mobile network operators are turning OFF their 3G networks, some sooner than others.

I’m guessing WhatApp uses your home’s Wi-Fi network for calling; I’m not sure a replacement SIM will help - worth trying though.

Good luck.

Yes, thanks for your help.

Funnily enough there is a signal now inside the house, but no doubt that’ll soon vanish

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @wbmkk, not sure what network mode you’re using with your Nokia, but following might be worth checking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, thanks for your help.

Funnily enough there is a signal now inside the house, but no doubt that’ll soon vanish

Glad to hear you have signal again now. If you still need help let us know here.

Mohammed

22 September 2022  16:26

Zero signal now while sitting in the house ..just you try and phone me ..REMOVED

One of your colleagues raised a complaint a few days ago .. what was the outcome of that please ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Wbmkk...…

The feedback, advice I got from ID having called the phone number.

I was told various things relating to same problem as you and many other people;

1) that home broadband wifi signals can affect mobile phone signal reception indoors at home

2) sim card could be faulty

3) mobile phone could be faulty

4) three network having problems, knock on effect to id customers

5) id network itself in your neighbourhood, the reception, limited transmission masts 

I use a mobile app called Speedtest by ookla to test 4G and 3G connectivity speeds.

There is a way for early disconnection if your in a contract if your not happy, you have to call and log the complaint. As I have done. If your paying for something and it's not as advertised and delivered. ID can't ignore the issues. 

Hope this helps you out

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

22 September 2022  16:26

Zero signal now while sitting in the house ..just you try and phone me ..REMOVED

One of your colleagues raised a complaint a few days ago .. what was the outcome of that please ?

​​​​@wbmkk,

Have you since had an update to your complaint or do you still need help here?

Mohammed

Wbmkk...…

The feedback, advice I got from ID having called the phone number.

I was told various things relating to same problem as you and many other people;

1) that home broadband wifi signals can affect mobile phone signal reception indoors at home

2) sim card could be faulty

3) mobile phone could be faulty

4) three network having problems, knock on effect to id customers

5) id network itself in your neighbourhood, the reception, limited transmission masts 

I use a mobile app called Speedtest by ookla to test 4G and 3G connectivity speeds.

There is a way for early disconnection if your in a contract if your not happy, you have to call and log the complaint. As I have done. If your paying for something and it's not as advertised and delivered. ID can't ignore the issues. 

Hope this helps you out

Hello @bcuplover,

If you’ve raised a complaint, we’d investigate the issues of coverage and provide a resolution or final response if we’re unable to reach an agreed resolution.

Did you need help with anything?

Mohammed

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have been using iD Mobile without problems for 3 or 4 years, then a couple of weeks ago i noticed that there was no signal and an error kept cropping up if I tried to make a call.

i left it for a couple of days then decided to investigate.

i don’t know how ..but I eventually got to a chat line on the iD Mobile site and was told i had an old SIM. A replacement would be sent to me. This arrived on Sunday. I installed it but a message stated that it can take up to 24 hours until it  will work.

A few hours later I get a text from iD Mobile saying all is OK.

Great, i assumed that would be that .. i made a couple of calls to check .. all fine

Yesterday I note the same  .. somebody said he tried to ring me without any luck. A text was sent which i received over 2 hours later

Again now, not signal is showing. Under settings (Nokia 7+) mobile network has message ‘Emergency calls only’

I look for networks and O2 and Vodafone only, indicated as forbidden. I tried 10 minutes ago, iD was there, i clicked on it but that froze the phone.

As  say, I have had this iD account for m3 or 4 years, in the same house without problems.

HELP !

@wbmkk , you can't always, if any, rely on these network coverage web site tools. If you've got a handset in your hand and theres no signal, they why check a coverage website? 

I too, had a new sim card which proved useless , further to my advice I'd got from ID mobile complaints. 

I was told yesterday;

"if you or any customer signs up for a 4G/5G network sim deal from ID mobile. You shouldn't expect it. It's in your contract. The mobile phone network company put a disclaimer , small print in to say. The, all customers will get at least 3G signal. 

However, If your using a non 3G phone handset. And the 4G/5G signal is out in your area, you won't get a signal....."​​

I sought my own help.

Contact for help;

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/home

Next step after ofcom, is the Ombudsman route. Which ID mobile have to pay for if you the customer want it to go that route if no resolution has been found.

It may be of use to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@wbmkk,

Please do let us know if you require further assistance and we would be happy to help.

Kash

I was promised £20 after the complaint was made .. what happened that £20 .. i never received it

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @wbmkk 

We’d recommend mentioning the £20 gesture of goodwill to the same channel you proceeded with your complaint, be aware these can take 3-5 working days to reach you so please allow this time.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?