Solved

Phone wont connect to mobile network

• 8 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

I have an iphone x with ios16.2 (latest).

There is a poor mobile signal at my house so I use wifi calling, which is shaky, but better than the network.

The problem is that when I leave the house, the phone does not automatically find the mobile network, so i end up disconnected from everything. Once I realise what has happened i can restart the phone and it immedialtly connects to the 4g. Clearly this should not happen. Any ideas??

icon

Best answer by andewhite 8 January 2023, 22:10

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You could use airplane mode with Wi-Fi Calling at home, then turn off airplane mode when you leave home. That might be faster than restarting, to get a mobile network connection.

Good luck @Rayw

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have an iphone x with ios16.2 (latest).

There is a poor mobile signal at my house so I use wifi calling, which is shaky, but better than the network.

The problem is that when I leave the house, the phone does not automatically find the mobile network, so i end up disconnected from everything. Once I realise what has happened i can restart the phone and it immedialtly connects to the 4g. Clearly this should not happen. Any ideas??

Hey @Rayw,

@andewhite  should help speed things up, but you can also manually connect to a network via the Mobile NEtwork Settings page.

This is just down to the device not automatically picking up a new network and either this, or the above step should be quicker than restarting.

You can also toggle on and off Airplane mode.

Mohammed

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the responses, and your time. The trouble with both answers is a manual one, and it seems unreasonable to expect that manual intervention. The switch between networks should be automatic and seamless. I am happy to accept I may need to do a one off manual adjustment, or indeed that there is a fault with my phone, but to accept a manual switch every time I go out is not reasonable. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Did your issue happen before upgrading to iOS 16.2 @Rayw?

Have you checked (online) for network faults at your home postcode @Rayw?

Userlevel 2

hi @andewhite Many thanks for the reply.

Yes the problem does predate ios16.2, its been going on a while, hence my frustration.

i had not checked for network issues, but have done so and apparently Three are working locally, but as I have said,  this is a longstanding issue, so I doubt this is the problem, however I will check back when the local works are sorted.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Potentially, network performance could be below par for another two years while Three UK shutdown their 3G network (by end of 2024), upgrade their 4G network, and deploy their 5G network.

Three UK have been working in my area for over 6 months now, and I also rely on Wi-Fi Calling for mobile service at home.

Good luck @Rayw.

I installed new sim. Won’t connect to network. Tried manual connection. Reinstalled sim. Turned off and on. But nada. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Stevester57,

Is this a replacement SIM?

Replaceent SIMs first need to be activated: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/your-sim-card before you can use them.

If you can activate it then allow up to an hour and restart to advise.

Mohammed

It seems like your iPhone X with iOS 16.2 is encountering difficulties automatically switching from Wi-Fi calling or convert sim to the mobile network when leaving your house, resulting in disconnection from services. To troubleshoot this issue, start by ensuring your device is up to date with the latest iOS version and resetting its network settings. Additionally, toggling Airplane Mode on and off or checking for carrier updates could help. If the problem persists, contacting your mobile carrier for further assistance or considering a reset of all settings might be necessary. If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be advisable to seek support from Apple to address any potential software or hardware issues.

Why iD Mobile?