Question

wifi stopped working

• 1 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Today, Thursday 1st December 2022, WiFi calling suddenly wasn't available.

I have reset my phone and reset my router, but WiFi calling isn't available.

I have seen that 3 have been having network issues today where users couldn't make calls.

Is WiFi calling not being available related to this issue? If I turn off airplane mode I can make and receive calls. So perhaps not?

I have tried the SIM in 2 different phones, which before today WiFi calling worked flawlessly.

The fact that 2 different phones exhibit the same issue, doesn't suggest phone network issues, but ID mobile network issues

I believe WiFi calling not being available is a network issue or something  changed in my user configuration  at ID Mobile.

Also today I noticed that both phones reported 4G+ for the first time. This I noticed after WiFi calling stopped. Maybe a coincidence but has ID Mobile introduced network changes or upgrade today?

Anybody else experienced similar issues with WiFi calling today?

How do I get ID Mobile to check my network settings, as that or 3 network settings are the most likely cause of WiFi calling not be available?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @dhj49er 

Are you still having issues with this? There was an outage on this date however this shouldn’t have affected WiFi Calling but it’s not impossible that is did, let us know if you’re still having issues with this so we can advise further.

We haven’t made any changes to our offers or access for WiFi Calling.

Tom

Unfortunately WiFi calling isn't working all the time.

It now doesn't show the WiFi calling icon in the morning. I have tried turning it off and on, making call and resetting the phone. Sometimes WiFi calling icon appears but doesn't stay for long. Occasionally I've had WiFi calling on all day - I turn on airplane mode at home as the mobile signal is 1 bar at best - but  not for most of the time.

I am at a lost what to try. I don't want to factory reset my phone, but can't understand why WiFi calling was working flawlessly until the 1st Dec. Since then it's intermittent at best. 

The phone had its last software update around 23rd November, so don't think it's that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @dhj49er,

When in Airplane mode, is WiFi Calling coming and going? Or is this on all the time but fluctuating only when you’re out of Airplane mode?

WiFi Calling only kicks in when the signal drops low enough and the device is connected to a strong enough WiFi signal.

Mohammed

Hi,

WiFi Calling comes and goes when the phone is in airplane mode. This shouldn't happen and WiFi calling should be available all the time, as it was until the 1st Dec.

I know that with airplane mode off, the phone will determine when to enable WiFi calling, usually around 1 signal bar. Some phone have a setting that prioritises WiFi calling over the mobile signal. However, my current phone doesn't have this setting.

I no longer have a other phone to try and compare, but when I did both phones behaviour was the same. I think it's very unlikely that 2 different phones could cause WiFi calling issue.

I'm still trying different things.

When WiFi calling isn't available in airplane mode. I turn off WiFi calling, turn off airplane mode and make a phone call. I then wait 30 seconds or more, turn on WiFi calling and turn on airplane mode. Sometimes WiFi calling icon appears, but disappears after a minute or so, other times WiFi calling icon stays for hours and I can make and receive calls. Occasionally WiFi calling icon does not appear.

So inconsistent.

However, what is consistent is that having WiFi calling work the previous night, the icon never shows the following morning. The phone is in airplane mode with WiFi off overnight. Again it used to, but hasn't since the 1st Dec and I haven't changed the overnight/ morning setup.

I will try a different internet router next week and see if the issues are present or not 

​​​​​

​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @dhj49er 

Please let us know how you get on with a different internet router.

Tom

I tried a different router over Christmas and had the same problem.

What I have found is that WiFi calling icon disappears as soon as an app used VPN 

I have 2 apps that use VPN which suggests it's not a rouge app.

It could be an OS issue....but WiFi calling was working with VPN until suddenly not working. The phone hasn't had an update.

Does anybody know what could be causing it and what to do to resolve it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@dhj49er,

Sorry if I misunderstood the Wi-Fi calling option works when not connected to VPN?

It would suggest that the VPN is the issue and may not be supported whilst using Wi-Fi Calling on the iD Mobile network.

Kash

It would suggest that....except it worked fine with VPN for several months (I joined ID Mobile in July 22) and suddenly stopped working. At that time  the phone hasn't been updated, so I would like to rule out  a change at ID Mobile.

How do I get ID mobile to check my profile and reset the WiFi calling setting? I'm assuming other users don't have the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @dhj49er,

I don’t believe there are such settings to reset at a network level.

It’s done from your handset settings so try resetting network settings and setting this up again via the device.

WiFi Calling changes can also come from Software Updates.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?