Solved

iphone imessage activation unsuccessful

• 13 November 2023
  • 38 replies

iMessage activation unsuccessful. Been receiving this message now since porting my sim from EE. Number transferred over on the 9th November but has not resolved the issue. I have toggled iMessage off multiple times, reset network settings multiple times and also updated and restarted my phone multiple times to no prevail. Please point me in the right direction otherwise I will have to cancel my contract as still within the 30 days. 

Many thanks 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 13 November 2023, 22:32

View original

38 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The following steps might fix this issue @Joe Barlow:

1. Sign-out from Apple ID on your iPhone.
  2. Shutdown / turn OFF your iPhone.
  3. With a browser, sign-in with your Apple ID at https://appleid.apple.com.
  4. Remove your iPhone device from your Apple ID account and sign-out.
  5. Sign-in at https://www.icloud.com and check your iPhone device is not listed.
  6. Turn ON your iPhone, sign-in using your Apple ID (on your iPhone) and re-check all the Settings.

Otherwise, you might need a replacement iD SIM card @Joe Barlow, which some forum members have found resolves problems activating iMessage and FaceTime, after porting to iD.

Okay thank you for this, I will try it now . If I do need a new SIM card how do I get hold of someone to ask for one? Struggling not talking to anyone at the moment 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thank you for this, I will try it now . If I do need a new SIM card how do I get hold of someone to ask for one? Struggling not talking to anyone at the moment 

iD don’t have a telephone help & support option - everything is online. 

A replacement iD SIM card can be collected from any Currys store, otherwise you’ll need to use the iD online Live Chat to ask for a replacement, then wait for Royal Mail to deliver the replacement.

iD say to allow 3-5 working days from the date of dispatch for postal delivery.

Just done all you e mentioned above but unfortunately still not working. Looking like a new sim is needed. This is hassle that is just not needed. Can I just walk into a curry’s and ask for one? Is it the carphone warehouse desk? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just done all you e mentioned above but unfortunately still not working. Looking like a new sim is needed. This is hassle that is just not needed. Can I just walk into a curry’s and ask for one? Is it the carphone warehouse desk? 

Good question - don’t know. Often there are SIM card packs on the counter displays in-store.
I think Currys only sell plans for iD Mobile and Vodafone. 

Are you in a location where you’re able to send and receive text messages? 
Apple’s activation process sends an SMS from your iPhone device to Apple, to verify your device and mobile number. 

Perhaps the Apple online support article at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422 might help. 

Otherwise, the following post details how @ncl698 solved this issue: 

Yes I’m getting texts through and have turned that on and off. I will go and get a new SIM card I think. 
Thanks for the help

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

A replacement iD SIM card needs to be activated online before you can connect to the network - either from your iD online account, or at https://my.idmobile.co.uk/ja/web/cpw/sim-swap. 

🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Joe Barlow,

Welcome to the Community!

Please let us know how you get on and we would be happy to help.

Kash

Having the same issue, since recieveing my SIM and having ported the number facetime and i-message not working! Tried all the comments in the forum and still no resolve. This is terrible, surely a simple SIM swap and provider transfer should not experience such issues! Please help urgently before I cancel my contract 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jamie Clarke 

I’m sorry to hear this, has your number transfer completed and you’ve had the text confirming it?

Have you tried resetting your network settings?

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I had the same issue.

I went to Currys on Wednesday, activates the account and the sim on Friday. 
Only by restarting the network settings did my old number appear but i still cant use imessage or facetime with my phone number. 
I went back to Currys who were stumped and after trying all of the above recommend a factory reset on the phone.

I did the reset and still the same issue. Spoken to Apple twice who couldn’t help either and who’s only advice was to wait a couple more days so it might resolve itself other wise I’d have to take it to the shop. 

Does anyone have a way to talk directly with ID? 

Thanks 

Dafydd

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, 

I had the same issue.

…

Does anyone have a way to talk directly with ID? 

Thanks 

Dafydd

Unfortunately iD Mobile don’t have a telephone helpline - their help & support options are all online by using Live Chat, or social media (Facebook or X (formerly Twitter)). 

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays. 

The iMessage and FaceTime services are 100% Apple applications, which require a network data connection in order to function.

Hi Dafydd, I have been onto apple support and their trouble shooting steps prove beyond doubt it is an IDmobile/sim issue. I too have had a sim swap and still the issue persists. I have logged ticket and complaint with IDmobile and await an email from their tech support team to attempt resolution. Apple during their trouble shooting steps stated that the SMS configuration/international SMS isn’t working correctly as for the I-message and FaceTime to activate correctly the handset needs to send a stealth request to the Apple servers and this is the part that is failing. Until apple gain a response from the stealth message it won’t activate!  The tech support guys simulated from my handset whilst on a remote session to

prove the issue. I can’t believe IDmobile don’t have a simple fix for this or at least some finite troubleshooting steps to resolve easily. If it can’t be resolved in 48hrs to our satisfaction then it’s a cancelled contract and back to someone who can provide the services and functions needed. I will obviously update this thread as and when I get any up updates.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems like Apple blame iD, and iD blame Apple - hard to know who to believe.

In addition, there are numerous member posts in this community forum about this activation issue, but sadly very few where members go on to post how their issue was resolved.

Hopefully you’ll post again @Jamie Clarke, with the details of your solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jamie Clarke,

Welcome to the Community!

Did you receive an update from the Complaints Team or the Technical Team for a fix?

If you would like us to check for any updates, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Having the same issue, since receiving my SIM and having ported the number FaceTime and iMessage not working! Tried all the comments in the forum and still no resolve. This is terrible, surely a simple SIM swap and provider transfer should not experience such issues! Please help urgently before I cancel my contract 

Does the Apple UK online support article https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422 provide any help, @Jamie Clarke? 

It appears waiting for activation to happen in its own time can be the least stressful course of action, although this may take several days or longer.
🤔 

Kash, just received a text stating the issue is resolved? It is not resolved! The same issue persists. I was told/informed I would receive an e-mail from the tech support team. Nothing received. Still no reply from the complaints team either! Customer service is shocking, especially as this seems a common issue. Kash please re-open the escalaltion and complaint!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Jamie Clarke, perhaps unsurprisingly the Apple services activation issue is not unique to iD Mobile. Other UK mobile operators with an online community have similar posts from customers with Apple activation issues, which often appear to magically fix themselves. 

The iD Mobile Complaints team have 8-weeks to resolve your complaint, or issue a deadlock letter - thereafter you are able to take your issue/s the Communications Ombudsman. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve spoken again to Apple after they asked me to wait 24hrs. 
They got me to send a text saying HELP to 48369 which was not delivered. 
They then told me it could be an issue with ID and their SMS service and international calling/texting. 

As it seems near impossible to get a hold of ID for a quick resolution I think I might just switch providers and walk away. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Dafydd Powell, odd Apple appear to have asked you to use a US short-code.
Not much chance of being able to use the 48369 code for messaging from a UK mobile operator - perhaps the Apple support staff didn’t have localised procedures, specific to customers on UK mobile networks.

There’s more about UK short-codes online at https://www.short-codes.com.

The local number Apple uses here in the UK for iMessage/FaceTime activation process appears to be 07786205094, or +447786205094 - it will appear in some Google search results. 
Can you send an SMS to this UK number @Dafydd Powell? 

Your iPhone’s iOS should choose a number within the same region as the device, to avoid international charges. Best to ensure the iOS device region is setup correctly.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’m with SMARTY and Vodafone and the activation number used to activate iMessage/Facetime on both networks was +447786205094. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve just texted the number you have and it did go through

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

What device and iOS version are you using?

Settings > Mobile Services 

Is the correct mobile number shown? It should be in an international format starting +44.

Userlevel 1

IOS 17.2.1. Up to date. 
And the number is shown as +447XXXXXXXXX

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Have you tried signing out of iCloud on your device and signing back in? Timezone is correct, yes?

Why iD Mobile?