Question

Just had android update and SIM locked - need PUK

• 1 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

After an android update tonight, the phone refused to accept my pin (although it accepts the phone on the restart or shut down option) and after three attempts has locked my phone. Can you provide a PUK? Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Which is locked @steveTu - the phone or the SIM card?

A PUK will unlock the SIM card, but not the phone. 

If you remove the SIM card, can you access your phone? 

Userlevel 2

It was the sim - sorry about the confusion.

I found you have to use Chat to get a PUK - which I’ve now done and I can get into the phone again - but isn’t this a bit insane? We’re now in a 24hr society where secure apps send codes to your phone via whatever apps, so when something like this happens ‘outside of hours’ , what are you supposed to do? Surely there should be a secure automated way of getting a PUK 24 hours a day?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Not many service providers appear to provide 24/7 customer support nowadays. 

Though, at least your SIM is unlocked now.

Userlevel 2

I don’t think I want a 24/7 customer service - just an automated PUK provision. I can log into my account 24x7, why can’t I get a PUK?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps not many people use the SIM lock feature nowadays, so iD haven’t invested in this area. 
Hopefully someone from team iD will read this topic in a few days, and might explain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @steveTu 

A PUK code would indeed need to be provided by us directly for security verifying you are the account holder.

I’ll feedback a want for a PUK code request feature in the app/website while logged in.

Tom

Userlevel 2

@Tom 

Thanks - the stupidity is that I got a PUK from the chat, but all the questions they asked to verify me are available on my account anyway - so if someone had access to my account, they would have got a PUK to unlock the phone’s sim.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @steveTu,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please get back to us if you require further assistance.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?