Solved

No connection following port

• 20 August 2023
  • 55 replies

Userlevel 1

I had a rolling 1 month iD contract, and decided to get a new phone with a 24 month iD contract.

I thought I would be able to switch my existing number to the new contract but was told this wasn’t directly possible and I would have to port out and back in.

I ported out on my 1 month sim, closing down that account.  I then ported this number back to my new 24 month contract.  The port was “successful” in so far as my new iD account now shows my number in the profile, however since the port I am not able to make or receive calls/data/text.   The mobile connects to the network but all I get is 3G with no symbol to suggest data is being received…

I suspect this may be somehow linked to the port out and then back in, but its been 3 days and customer support have not yet been able to provide a resolution.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 24 August 2023, 17:07

View original

55 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you tried a replacement SIM card @Ro-me-ro

Sometimes these types of issue can be due to a damaged or faulty SIM card. 

Pick-up a free replacement from any Currys store, or ask for one using the iD online live chat service.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite well, the sim card was working just fine prior to the port in - I had a call from id and I had a spare upgrade sim which we tried this on but that’s not working for some reason… however when raising this to live chat an hour later I have had an update on my technical ticket…

...on querying with Three my outbound calls had been barred…

I unbarred using the code, and I am now able to make outbound calls again.

However, I am still unable to receiving incoming calls, send SMS or send/receive data.

It seems fairly plausible given the above revelations that something has gone awry during my port… I’ve checked my APN settings and they seem fine.

Any further help gratefully appreciated.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Ahh… I guess it’s plausible that iD Mobile’s network partner (Three UK) might have misconfigured your new iD account during the number transfer.

However, very hard to understand why iD take a long time to sort out some technical and account issues, with their network partner.

Userlevel 1

I still can’t help but think this might have something to do with my port-out and port-back-in.

For example my whilst I can call outbound right now, when someone tries to call me it is saying that my phone is switched off… which patently is not correct!  I’m wondering if there is some crossed wires with my other now closed account which had the same number only a few days ago…

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I agree @Ro-me-ro - sounds like after the number transfer (port-back-in) to your new iD account, something has gone wrong. 

Unfortunately, you’re reliant on iD Mobile getting this fixed, because OFCOM rules make iD 100% responsible for getting the number transferred successfully.

Might be quicker to communicate with iD Mobile via the online iD live chat, Facebook Messenger, or X (Twitter) DM - the agents work until 8pm on weekdays.

Userlevel 1

I agree @Ro-me-ro - sounds like after the number transfer (port-back-in) to your new iD account, something has gone wrong. 

Unfortunately, you’re reliant on iD Mobile getting this fixed, because OFCOM rules make iD 100% responsible for getting the number transferred successfully.

Might be quicker to communicate with iD Mobile via the online iD live chat, Facebook Messenger, or X (Twitter) DM - the agents work until 8pm on weekdays.

I am using live chat as there doesn’t appear to be any alternatives… I am currently on technical ticket number 2, with each one advising of 48 hour turn arounds… frustrating when my phone number is linked to lots of banks OTPs etc...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I am using live chat as there doesn’t appear to be any alternatives… I am currently on technical ticket number 2, with each one advising of 48 hour turn arounds… frustrating when my phone number is linked to lots of banks OTPs etc…

Yeah, the iD live chat is often frustrating. 
Perhaps it might be easier - if possible - to use Facebook Messenger or X (Twitter) DM to communicate privately with the iD support team. In my experience I’ve found these a more effective way of getting assistance.

No doubt properly functioning mobile phone services would be better, but unfortunately @Ro-me-ro I suspect your only ‘stick’ is compensation for iD delay in getting your ported-in number working properly with the new iD account.

Userlevel 1

Until resolved I don’t even want to talk compensation etc but yeah I am currently paying for a service I am not receiving.   I don’t even “mind” the 24-48 hours wait to get assistance, it’s after you have already waited 48 hours to get an outcome that still doesn’t fix the problem and to be put back in another 24-48 hour wait… once you have waited once, you should “jump the queue” and have a direct contact until resolved.   My frustrated 2c’s anyway.  I’ll perhaps give twitter DM a try if there isn’t actually any customer support agents that work on these boards...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iD staff usually only read the forum posts once-a-day, sometimes less frequently. 

This forum isn’t for real time live chat with iD staff - using X (Twitter) to DM iD will be quicker, and perhaps easier to keep track of things than multiple live chats. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

I tried twitter.  They went over a bunch of the stuff I already did the day before, before “escalating” and leaving me hanging once more.  I continue to live in hope of a resolution...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think iD live chat are based offshore/overseas, whereas social media personnel are UK based. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to avoid going over the same stuff, especially when a different agent is looking at your iD account. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

I think iD live chat are based offshore/overseas, whereas social media personnel are UK based. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to avoid going over the same stuff, especially when a different agent is looking at your iD account. 
🤞

This was my 48 hour update:

I can see on the account that this ticket has been updated and they have requested to kindly confirm if you are unable to receive calls from all your contacts or it is specific numbers.

So yeah now I wait for another 48 hours for my next revelation.   Given the fact that it’s already been determined that something went wrong with my port, that level of attention in the next response is quite frankly appalling.

If there are any members of staff out there reading these boards (which are recommended via email as the place to go for support) then I’d really appreciate some help.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I can see on the account that this ticket has been updated and they have requested to kindly confirm if you are unable to receive calls from all your contacts or it is specific numbers.

If there are any members of staff out there reading these boards (which are recommended via email as the place to go for support) then I’d really appreciate some help.

Sounds like iD are time wasting - I assume they’ve already been told you can’t receive any incoming calls.

IMO the email recommendation about the iD Community is disingenuous - iD staff typically read these boards once-a-day, sometimes less frequently.

The iD online live chat service, Facebook Messenger, or X (Twitter) DM are available for more immediate assistance from iD support. This forum doesn’t provide real time live chat with iD support. 

The iD Mobile website even provides the following optimistic advice: 

Userlevel 1

Sounds like iD are time wasting - I assume they’ve already been told you can’t receive any incoming calls.

IMO the email recommendation about the iD Community is disingenuous - iD staff typically read these boards once-a-day, sometimes less frequently.

The iD online live chat service, Facebook Messenger, or X (Twitter) DM are available for more immediate assistance from iD support. This forum doesn’t provide real time live chat with iD support. 

The iD Mobile website even provides the following optimistic advice: 

Yeah, the thing is the “switch” has happened as far as they are concerned.   I mean, the number on my account has changed to the ported number, and I have a sim card and phone that is dialing OUT with that number.

Something else is clearly very wrong in the back end and based on that response they are not even taking it seriously… as if my contacts would be unable to call me but non-contacts would or vice versa (Outside of a software block on specific numbers of course)…

As mentioned twitter proved no better than live chat in being able to get this matter escalated - I am at the mercy of the technical escalation process that came up with the last revelation...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Before your number was transferred to iD, I’m assuming you used your mobile for calls, texts and data without any issues?

After switching to iD that’s not possible - maybe your switch hasn’t been completed?

Perhaps another escalation option could be to make a complaint.
Thus far @Ro-me-ro, seems rather shabby treatment of a new customer by iD Mobile. 

Userlevel 1

Before your number was transferred to iD, I’m assuming you used your mobile for calls, texts and data without any issues?

After switching to iD that’s not possible - maybe your switch hasn’t been completed?

Perhaps another escalation option could be to make a complaint.
Thus far @Ro-me-ro, seems rather shabby treatment of a new customer by iD Mobile. 

Before the port I had 2 x fully functioning id mobile contracts.  Calls, data, texts (1 x 30 day rolling, 1 x 24 m contract).

I ported out the rolling sim to another network.   On that network it was fine.  Receiving calls & texts briefly before being ported back across to my other sim.

On the day of the port the remaining sim was fine, after the port happened in the middle of the day I am left with a brick (well a smart device that can make outbound calls only...)

Yes, I would say it is both the shabby treatment of a new customer and a previously very satisfied customer (had my rolling 30 for about 18 months)…

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps there’s an element of risk with port-out, port-in process @Ro-me-ro
Maybe obtaining, and then using a PAC, too soon after a number transfer might lead to ongoing issues.

After switching your 30-day rolling SIM only to another party, what time period was there between getting the transfer completed message, and then using the other party’s PAC to switch back to iD (for your 24-month minimum term handset contract)?

Has the old iD account, linked to 30-day rolling SIM only contract, definitely been closed?
There should be limited online access to the old iD account, for 6-months after closure.

You’ve got to wonder if the 48-hours response time is because iD rely on Three UK for aspects of account setup & management, and technical support?

Userlevel 1

Maybe obtaining, and then using a PAC, too soon after a number transfer might lead to ongoing issues.

It’s possible of course.  I mentioned this in my very first exchange with iD (and continue to mention it) but they don’t seem particularly perturbed by it...

After switching your 30-day rolling SIM only to another party, what time period was there between getting the transfer completed message, and then using the other party’s PAC to switch back to iD (for your 24-month minimum term handset contract)?

I ported out on 15th August. The new network (Smarty) was unable to issue me a PAC code until 24 hours had elapsed.  Thus I got my PAC on 16th August and put 17th as the date for my port.  The Smarty sim went dead relatively early on 17th, and the iD mobile followed suit around the afternoon of 17th.  Once it came back “alive” the problems existed.

Has the old iD account, linked to 30-day rolling SIM only contract, definitely been closed?
There should be limited online access to the old iD account, for 6-months after closure.

Yes it’s closed.  I can still log into it and view my final bill (credit).

You’ve got to wonder if the 48-hours response time is because iD rely on Three UK for aspects of account setup & management, and technical support?

I’d just like someone to take ownership, call me on the alternative number I’ve provided and work with me from here on to resolution.  It’s quite clearly an issue on their side, even if it comes to fruition that I have inadvertently caused it by my porting shenanigans…

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @Ro-me-ro, seems it can be hard getting iD customer service to take ownership of a service issue.

You’d really hope they’d be all over an issue like this, but my suspicion is iD Mobile don’t have enough second-level technical support resources. 

Wonder if port-out/port-in to/from a non-Three UK network might’ve gone better.

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately @Ro-me-ro, seems it can be hard getting iD customer service to take ownership of a service issue.

You’d really hope they’d be all over an issue like this, but my suspicion is iD Mobile don’t have enough second-level technical support resources. 

Wonder if port-out/port-in to/from a non-Three UK network might’ve gone better.

Yeah, I didn’t consider this clearly!   I now have a nice shiny non-three PAYG number whilst this is being resolved though…  sadly another port out would terminate my 24 month contract early which I am certainly not going to do unless they direct me to do so!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Aren’t you still within cooling off period of the new 24-month minimum term iD contract @Ro-me-ro

Online purchases from iD Mobile have a 30-day cooling off period, from the delivery date.
Within this time period, you can return your order to iD without incurring an early termination charge.

Once return has been processed your mobile number is assigned to an iD PAYG account, which allows you to obtain a PAC and port-out.

Userlevel 1

Aren’t you still within cooling off period of the new 24-month minimum term iD contract @Ro-me-ro

Online purchases from iD Mobile have a 30-day cooling off period, from the delivery date.
Within this time period, you can return your order to iD without incurring an early termination charge.

Well, I thought it was only a 14 day cooling off period which I am now over, but if you are right then this is a most helpful bit of info indeed.   An ace up my sleeve...

Once return has been processed your mobile number is assigned to an iD PAYG account, which allows you to obtain a PAC and port-out.

Is there any documentation for this online that you can point me towards.   My number is the number one concern if I did take this route. Doesn’t make sense to me that it would automatically become PAYG/rolling 30 account but I certainly hear what you are saying.

Tomorrow if there is no further update from iD, I will put them on notice that I will look into taking this course of action if they do not get it resolved.

A secondary “issue” is that the phone upgrade was in part a gift for my wife's birthday in 3 days time… I’m happy with the phone, I am happy with the contract, I am happy with the price that I have paid.  I just want the service that I have paid for :)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Not sure there’s anything online about the PAYG SIM plan in order to get a PAC after returning your order @Ro-me-ro - but I think @Mohammed mentioned this process in this forum, when replying to a user post. 

Clearly iD need some way of handling an returned order when the customer has ported their number to iD, before deciding to return the item(s) within the cooling off period.

Userlevel 1

Clearly iD need some way of handling an returned order when the customer has ported their number to iD, before deciding to return the item(s) within the cooling off period.

Makes sense.  I’ve had this number longer than some of my adult children so needless to say it’s quite important here!!  I’ll do some digging.  It’s rather sad that at this stage the “solution” to my problem may be to leave…

Edit, think I found the post:

Good to know this.  According to my online account my contract started on 10th August meaning a return would have to be with them before 9th September.   The clock is now ticking...

Userlevel 1

Day 9.

Switch on phone, we have a data connection… and data works.

Still unable to receive calls, make and receive texts.  Update from iD - “it's been passed to Three UK to look into further as it may be something that needs to be corrected on their end.”

I’ve told them that I may be forced to give notice to terminate in my cooling off period if its not fully resolved...

Progress.  Slow...

Why iD Mobile?