Question

No data roaming

Userlevel 2

Hi everyone. 

I’m having an issue with data roaming abroad. I’ve tried multiple times with live chat to get it resolved, been promised a ticket raised and a response within 24hrs. That hasn’t happened. 

I have an iPhone 14 pro max running the latest apple software. My calls, text and data work fine in the UK. When abroad I can call and text but no data. I have removed the sim and cleaned it, I’ve reset the network settings on my phone. Nothing has worked. As I travel around Europe a lot for work this is extremely disruptive for me. 

Data roaming is switched on in the ID app and on the iphone. When I’m abroad I get a message saying could not active cellular data network. I normally have full signal bars and 4G showing available. 

I also have plenty of data in my allowance. So far I’ve been to Greece and Italy with the same issues. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Best

35 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @andewhite - still no option to view APN on my phone…

Just as I’d expected. With iD Mobile, their iPhone network profile doesn’t provide access to the APN settings. Normally this wouldn’t matter because the device gets the correct APN settings after connecting the mobile network. 

The issue appears to be some iD Mobile roaming partners sometimes recognise the iD SIM as a Three UK SIM, and provide the Three UK APN settings instead. 

A NETWORK RESET can sometimes fix this, but if not you’re stuck for roaming mobile data. Unfortunately, it seems you need to a service provider that allows iPhone customers to change their APN settings.

I had the same issue in France yesterday, I am beginning to regret moving to ID, I did it because of the included EU roaming, but if it wont let me roam, maybe I’m better off switching back to Voxi. How can an ID sim stop me accessing settings in my unlocked iPhone?

I did a reset all network settings, it didn’t make a difference, both my kids phones also in ID worked.

Does anyone have a solution?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I had the same issue in France yesterday, I am beginning to regret moving to ID, I did it because of the included EU roaming, but if it wont let me roam, maybe I’m better off switching back to Voxi. How can an ID sim stop me accessing settings in my unlocked iPhone?

I did a reset all network settings, it didn’t make a difference, both my kids phones also in ID worked.

Does anyone have a solution?

Switch to SMARTY @pbutterworth - get included EU roaming, and you are free to edit the APN settings in iOS on your iPhone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Angela HP,

Are you able to restart the handset and check if the option appears?

Is your data working now that you are in the UK?

Kash

Userlevel 1

I have had the same problem with roaming not working when I arrived in Tenerife. My wife and sons phones were fine on ID mobile as well, 4 or 5 attempts with live chat to try to resolve it & naff all, I’m still waiting for them to let me know if they have fixed it. Anyway, I left Tenerife after a couple of days and was at sea with no phone signal anyway. Arrived off Gibraltar today & same issue. I found this thread and tried the link for the APN settings, but when I went to install it, I got a message to say my Lebara profile was still installed (as I have had the phone (iPhone 12 pro) 3 years & was on Lebara until a month or so ago when I stupidly switched to ID).

so i removed the profile for the Lebara settings and without installing the new profile created from the link, I rebooted by phone & phone picked up 3G signal, and showed it as 4 bars. No webpages open using the mobile data, but can receive texts ok. As someone else mentioned, I received email on the mail app, but no webpages open. I am having to use ships WiFi again now to log in here. 
to say I am frustrated with ID mobile is an understatement! As soon as I can when I get back to the UK I am going to be changing unless it works ok when I get to Rotterdam next week. I work at sea and travel around the world, so not to be able to use my data roaming is not an option for me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have had the same problem with roaming not working when I arrived in Tenerife. My wife and sons phones were fine on ID mobile as well, 4 or 5 attempts with live chat to try to resolve it & naff all, I’m still waiting for them to let me know if they have fixed it. Anyway, I left Tenerife after a couple of days and was at sea with no phone signal anyway. Arrived off Gibraltar today & same issue. I found this thread and tried the link for the APN settings, but when I went to install it, I got a message to say my Lebara profile was still installed (as I have had the phone (iPhone 12 pro) 3 years & was on Lebara until a month or so ago when I stupidly switched to ID).

so i removed the profile for the Lebara settings and without installing the new profile created from the link, I rebooted by phone & phone picked up 3G signal, and showed it as 4 bars. No webpages open using the mobile data, but can receive texts ok. As someone else mentioned, I received email on the mail app, but no webpages open. I am having to use ships WiFi again now to log in here. 
to say I am frustrated with ID mobile is an understatement! As soon as I can when I get back to the UK I am going to be changing unless it works ok when I get to Rotterdam next week. I work at sea and travel around the world, so not to be able to use my data roaming is not an option for me.

Are you all using iPhones @Ian Gray?

Unfortunately, iD Mobile seem under resourced in the technical support, so whenever something goes wrong it can be incredibly frustrating.

Userlevel 1

Yes, wife and I have iPhone 12 Pro & son had normal iPhone 12.

They both went from Vodafone to ID mobile. I went to Lebara first and then to ID

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Ian Gray - luckily your wife’s and son’s iPhones picked-up correct APN details while roaming. 

A couple of things might fix this:

• Performing NETWORK RESET, might force your iPhone to load the correct APN settings, while you’re roaming. The iOS user guide explains how to do this.
  • Power OFF your iPhone, remove the SIM card and check it’s not broken or damaged, reinsert the SIM card, and finally power ON your device.

Calls and texts don’t rely on the MOBILE DATA options specifying APN settings, so these services should work while roaming.

Unfortunately, it seems the network profile iD provide for iPhone devices doesn’t allow the user to edit the APN settings. Maybe because iD appear to be a no-frills operator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Ian Gray 

I’d recommend the above with @andewhite and attempting a network settings reset while abroad and having issues.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I will give it a try when I am back in phone range, currently transiting from Gibraltar to Rotterdam, to far off the coast to get phone signal.

Why iD Mobile?