Question

No data roaming

Userlevel 2

Hi everyone. 

I’m having an issue with data roaming abroad. I’ve tried multiple times with live chat to get it resolved, been promised a ticket raised and a response within 24hrs. That hasn’t happened. 

I have an iPhone 14 pro max running the latest apple software. My calls, text and data work fine in the UK. When abroad I can call and text but no data. I have removed the sim and cleaned it, I’ve reset the network settings on my phone. Nothing has worked. As I travel around Europe a lot for work this is extremely disruptive for me. 

Data roaming is switched on in the ID app and on the iphone. When I’m abroad I get a message saying could not active cellular data network. I normally have full signal bars and 4G showing available. 

I also have plenty of data in my allowance. So far I’ve been to Greece and Italy with the same issues. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Best

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Peroni93,

Welcome to the Community.

You’ll need to ensure that data roaming is enabled on your iD Mobile account and your handset.

Whilst in Greece please connect to Cosmote or Wind Hellas

In Italy you can connect to 3 ITA or Wind.

You can also check your APN settings HERE

Kash

Userlevel 2

Hi Kash,

Thanks for your quick response. For some reason I have no ability to edit the APN settings on my phone. The option just doesnt come up. The live chat agent also tried to help with this but couldnt. 

Ive been in touch with apple and they said the issue lies with the carrier/provider. Hence why I’m reaching out for help on this forum. 

I can confirm that without doubt roaming is enabled on my account. I have checked the app and logged in to my account via web browser which confirms this. Roaming is also turned on my iPhone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Peroni93 

You should be able to access and edit APN settings on your iPhone, please could you try the following?

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201699

Our APN settings are as follows;

Name: iD
APN: id
Username: 
Password: 
MMSC: http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc\nMMS Proxy: mms.idmobile.co.uk\nMMS APN 
Username: 
MMS APN 
Password: 
MMS Port: 8799

*anything blank should be left blank

It may also be worth trying the following;

Connect the phone to WiFi and then open Safari and head to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

Tap Create APN
Change the Country to UK
Find iD in the list
Scroll down and tap Create APN
Tap  Allow on the pop-up then Install in the top right corner.

Then restart and make sure Data Roaming is turned on and test.

Tom

Userlevel 2

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. The above options are not available to me. There is nowhere on the iphone that allows APN information to be inserted. 

The apple link you provided says that APN settings may not be available and to contact network provider for further assistance. 

Still no luck. Currently in the canaries and nothing. Although calls and text work. I even get the welcome to spain text from ID. But no data. 

best

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Settings > Mobile Data > SIMs Primary > Data Roaming On

Can you screenshot Settings > Mobile Data > SIMs Primary > Mobile Data Network and post them here. You don’t click any ‘Edit’ or ‘Add’ option here, you simply edit the displayed fields and exit the menu.

Userlevel 2

Please see screen shots below. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Interesting, you are missing many of the options that I have, including ‘Mobile Data Network’, which is where my APN settings are located. Who supplied you with the handset? FYI - I’m with Smarty, which uses the Three network just like iD Mobile. It’s possible that iD Mobile has chosen to hide certain options, but why they would hide the ability to alter the APN settings is beyond me! Have you tried a network reset?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Peroni93 

Where did you get the handset? Was the handset supplied by ourselves?

Tom

Userlevel 2

Hi again. 

Handset was bought directly from apple, unlocked. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Peroni93,

I do have a method that seems to work for manually accesing the APNs.

Please try connecting the phone to WiFi and then open Safari and head to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

(this website allows you to manually update APNs where the APN settings can’t automatically be updated or done via the phone settings).

Tap Create APN (on the website)
Change the Country to UK
Find iD in the list
Scroll down and tap Create APN
Tap  Allow on the pop-up then Install in the top right corner.

Then restart and make sure Data Roaming is turned on and test.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hello all, I am  experiencing exactly the same problem as outlined above - namely I’ve landed in the USA and Roaming doesn’t work.

My handset indicates I’m connected to AT&T 4G, but there is no connectivity unless I’m on wifi.

I can’t change my APN settings, as they are not accessible on iPhone handsets by all accounts.

And, to cap it all off, unlockit.co.nz doesn’t seem to exist anymore - in any case, I get a ‘server not found’ message when I try to open it.

ID live chat are behaving as if this isn’t a known problem and saying they will refer to the technical team, but I’ll be back in the uk before this is resolved, if it ever is.

Any other smart ideas out there? Is there an alternative site to unlockit.co.nz where I can manually reconfigure my APN settings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @StepsA,

Welcome to the Community!

Please can you try and manually connect to the T-Mobile network and see if that improves things?

Let us know how you get on and we would be happy to help.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I tried T-Mobile too. That doesn’t work either unfortunately.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I tried T-Mobile too. That doesn’t work either unfortunately.

Being unable to change the APN on your iPhone won’t affect your ability to call and text in the USA @StepsA.  

If your iD account bill cap is £0, you won’t be able to call, text or use mobile data while roaming. iD charge £0.30/MB for roaming mobile data in the USA, so using 100MB would cost £3.00.

When I visited the USA earlier this year, I used a data only eSIM in my iPhone, cheaper than using iD roaming mobile data - and possibility more reliable.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite, good suggestion.

I can call and text fine, albeit with high charges. The problem is with data and roaming, which simply doesn’t work, irrespective of spending g caps etc.

It appears to be a common issue with ID, hence why I’m surprised they haven’t taking some proactive steps to fix it. 

hopefully they will fix the underlying problem so customers don’t land a road to find they have no mobile data connection, due to a bug on IDs side.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @andewhite, good suggestion.

I can call and text fine, albeit with high charges. The problem is with data and roaming, which simply doesn’t work, irrespective of spending g caps etc.

It appears to be a common issue with ID, hence why I’m surprised they haven’t taking some proactive steps to fix it. 

hopefully they will fix the underlying problem so customers don’t land a road to find they have no mobile data connection, due to a bug on IDs side.

I suspect the ability to manually adjust the MOBILE DATA settings (including APN value) is a configuration option in the network profile (carrier settings) for iPhone devices - however, iD Mobile currently don’t provide this option.

Normally this wouldn’t matter because your device should get the correct settings from the network. Unfortunately, sometimes the iD Mobile roaming partners don’t always recognise iD (perhaps because there’re an MVNO), and instead use the APN settings for Three UK (the iD network partner).

Anyway, nowadays, using a data only eSIM for roaming mobile data seems a good option, whenever you’re roaming outside the destinations where inclusive use of your iD plan UK allowances is permitted.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite, I will def try this next time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @StepsA,

Please let us know if you require further assistance with this and we would be happy to help.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @Kash - I am back in the UK now, so can’t check, but right up until I left, the issue was in no way resolved.

There is a technical problem with ID roaming in the US (and other places) that many appear to have encountered. ID need to recognise this and get it sorted. While it is left, as it has been, more and more customers are posting about it and expressing their frustration. I, for one, can tell you that it made life very difficult for me while I was abroad.

Please outline the steps ID are taking to permanently solve this issue. It’s unacceptable that so many customers are experiencing the issue, yet it’s being treated by ID as if it’s a one off problem.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Kash - I am back in the UK now, so can’t check, but right up until I left, the issue was in no way resolved.

There is a technical problem with ID roaming in the US (and other places) that many appear to have encountered. ID need to recognise this and get it sorted. While it is left, as it has been, more and more customers are posting about it and expressing their frustration. I, for one, can tell you that it made life very difficult for me while I was abroad.

Please outline the steps ID are taking to permanently solve this issue. It’s unacceptable that so many customers are experiencing the issue, yet it’s being treated by ID as if it’s a one off problem.

Thanks

Okay @StepsA, now you’re back in the UK can you access to the APN value in the MOBILE DATA section of the Settings app on your iPhone?

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately not. I’m on an iPhone and ID doesn’t allow me to access the APN settings. Is there a workaround for this?

Unlockit.co.nz wasn’t accessible while I was anroad but seems to be now. Is that a potential way to fix this?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps the best way to fix is switch to a service provider that provides a comprehensive set of MOBILE DATA options in the iOS Settings app. 

The chances of iD doing so are slim IMO.

Otherwise, use a data only eSIM for roaming mobile data at reasonable rates.

Hi - did anyone get their issues resolved? I had the same problem in Spain and tried all the above suggestions. I have an iPhone 12 mini and also cannot access the APN settings. Wondering whether to cancel my contract as I’m worried I’ll have the same issue next time I travel…

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi - did anyone get their issues resolved? I had the same problem in Spain and tried all the above suggestions. I have an iPhone 12 mini and also cannot access the APN settings. Wondering whether to cancel my contract as I’m worried I’ll have the same issue next time I travel…

Okay @Angela HP, now you’re back in the UK, can you access the APN value in the MOBILE DATA section of the Settings app on your iPhone?

Hi @andewhite - still no option to view APN on my phone…

Why iD Mobile?