Question

Unable to activate iMessage or Facetime

I’ve seen this issue numerous times and followed guidance but nothing is working.
I’ve ported my number and all settings are correct but neither iMessage or FaceTime will activate and I just keep getting error messages. I’ve turned them off, I’ve turned the phone off, I’ve taken the sim out, I’ve signed out of my Apple ID. I’ve been through live chat 3 times and just get the same advice which doesn’t work. Nothing has got this to work. Never had a problem like this before. What is causing this issue?

56 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iMessage and Facetime are Apple services - have you contacted Apple support @GCvin?

iD Mobile don’t have anything to do with Apple services.

Have you tried the following?

1. Sign-out of your Apple ID on your iPhone.
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone.
  3. Login to iCloud and delete your iPhone from iCloud devices.
  4. Login to your Apple ID online account (https://appleid.apple.com/), and check there are no devices listed.
  5. Turn ON your iPhone and sign-in with your Apple ID.

Might solve the issue - good luck @GCvin

Still getting the same issue. Never had this before and switched providers plenty of times. Last one was only a coupe of months ago and had absolutely no issue with that. Are you saying this is categorically not an issue in the side of ID?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iMessage & FaceTime are Apple services that require an Internet connection, either via a Wi-Fi network, or your service provider’s mobile data network.

If you turn OFF mobile data on your iPhone, and use a Wi-Fi connection and iMessage & FaceTime don’t activate, I would say that is 100% an Apple problem.

Good luck @GCvin.

Userlevel 1

I’m having this same issue, and nothing I do will fix it. I’ve reset my phone numerous times, logged out and in, etc…but I cannot select my number for iMessage or FaceTime, it’s just saying it’s inactive!

Userlevel 1

I called Apple and they said it’s the international feature sms not being configured correctly. I need to contact ID to fix it, but seems impossible since it’s all a bit and no phone number 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I can confirm that iMessage & FaceTime are Apple services that require an Internet connection, either via a Wi-Fi network, or your service provider’s mobile data network.

Now, when activating either service, an activation SMS is sent to your UK +44 number by Apple which contains a short code that is read by iMessage & FaceTime and sent back to Apple over a data connection to confirm that you are the legitimate user/owner of that UK +44 number. If that activation SMS isn’t received, then neither service will activate.

I called Apple and they said it’s the international feature sms not being configured correctly.

This makes no sense at all! 

1. Apple have absolutely no way of knowing what restrictions are being imposed on your account.
  2. Said activation SMS is received at no charge here in the UK.

It’s worth noting that activation can take up to 24 hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I called Apple and they said it’s the international feature sms not being configured correctly. I need to contact ID to fix it, but seems impossible since it’s all a bit and no phone number 

Hey @LysMoore, we’ve also replied on a separate topic. Please keep all replies relating to the same issue in one place to avoid conflicting information being provided.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Apologies, I have just started using this, and just typed in the box at the bottom of the screen…I didn’t know there was somewhere specific I should type. 
A friend at work is also having the same issue with her iPhone 13 (same as mine). I have reported this issue to ID, and they said the technical team will look into this, but nothing has been resolved. There should be not “activation” needed as it’s the same sim, and same number, but I was going off what Apple had told me. I am going to call them again, as it seems strange that someone else with the same phone is having the same issue, and I’ve never had this problem before. I’m thinking it may be an issue with the actual phone, if it can’t be easily fixed. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apologies, I have just started using this, and just typed in the box at the bottom of the screen…I didn’t know there was somewhere specific I should type. 
A friend at work is also having the same issue with her iPhone 13 (same as mine). I have reported this issue to ID, and they said the technical team will look into this, but nothing has been resolved. There should be not “activation” needed as it’s the same sim, and same number, but I was going off what Apple had told me. I am going to call them again, as it seems strange that someone else with the same phone is having the same issue, and I’ve never had this problem before. I’m thinking it may be an issue with the actual phone, if it can’t be easily fixed. 

More often than not, when I was told the iD tech team would investigate an issue, I never heard anything further @LysMoore but hope you have better luck.

Anyway, by changing to an iPhone 13, you’ve changed the device ID that Apple use to link you with their iMessage service. Hence the need for activation of the iMessage service with your new iPhone @LysMoore

Have you tried to the Apple “Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online” process @LysMoore?

See online help article at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203042.

To deregister online visit https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/.

🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The number Apple uses here in the UK to Send/Receive the iMessage/Facetime activation SMS is: 07786205094 or +447786205094. Can you send a random text to this number @LysMoore? Do you get any errors?

This number is free to text from LycaMobile and SMARTY. I have no idea if iD Mobile charge to text this number and if they do, you might have to increase your spend cap to allow the text to go through. 👍

Userlevel 1

The text to the number above has gone through. I’m currently on the phone to Apple again, they have tried a few different reset methods, but still they same issue. They have said I need to be able to send international texts as this is a requirement for iMessage, and the configuration to allow me to send international tests, is with the carrier (ID Mobile). On my ID app, the international texts/calls is on, so I really don’t know what else to do. iD are saying it’s apple, and apple saying it’s ID, but no one is able to resolve the issue. I’m on a time crunch as I’m going on holiday at the weekend, so really need this resolved before hand. I wasn’t having any issues until I switched to the new phone, and a friend at work is also having the same issue with her iPhone 13, and she’s had the issue since December. I shouldn’t have to pay for a contract and phone, which I cannot fully use the services on. I’m so frustrated! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Your iD contract doesn’t cover iMessage - this is an Apple service provided on their hardware, using Apple infrastructure. 

An iPhone will send text messages using SMS if unable to use iMessage, or the receiving device isn’t registered for iMessage services.

Have you set the bill cap for your iD account to £5 for example, in order to allow sending text messages overseas @LysMoore?

How old is your iD SIM card @LysMoore
If you’ve had the SIM card for several years, then it might be worth getting a replacement. 

Userlevel 1

An Apple senior technician has said my carrier need to configure “international short SMS messaging”, and iMessage needs this to work. 
I told them I only swapped the sim to a new phone, had no issues before, and haven’t changed any settings with ID, but they’ve said it is with the carrier. I’ve had this same number for 10+ years, and the sim was a new sim when I got my first iPhone with ID which was about 24 months ago. 
I previously switched providers to ID, and didn’t have this issue, so I really don’t understand what the issue is now. I’m frustrated that no one is taking ownership and able to resolve this. Someone has to fix this, and it has to be someone’s responsibility. 

Userlevel 1

I can use my email for imessage, just not my phone number. When trying to select my number it says “an error has occurred during activation”. 
I have a cap set of £5 so I can tho over my bill, but this isn’t restricted to international calls or texts, it’s an overall cap. I am trying to speak on the online chat, but it’s not too busy. I really need this resolved! I’m now worried it’s a dodgy phone which I will be stuck with for my 24months contract, and I a belt to use iMessage or FaceTime from my phone number 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @LysMoore, I don’t work for iD Mobile - I use an iPhone and I’m just trying to help you, because I’ve had problems activating iMessage and FaceTime in the past. 

Have you deregistered your mobile number as per https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/?

Have you deleted your old iPhone from the devices listed in your AppleID?

Have you got any screenshots of Settings > AppleID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email from your new iPhone? (redact the email address and phone numbers before posting in this public forum).

Userlevel 1

I need to speak to someone who works at Id mobile, they need to configure the Sms, as Apple have told me.

I have tried everything, Apple has told me it is a problem the carrier needs to fix, so I appreciate your help, but I need to speak to someone who works for ID so they can re-configure the settings as Apple has said.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @LysMoore, the best ways of speaking to iD Mobile are through their online live chat, or by using Facebook Messenger, or by sending them a Twitter DM.

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays. 

Personally, I wouldn’t be confident Apple have given a correct analysis of the issue.
I’ve spoken to Apple support before, and they haven’t always appeared to know what’s what. 

You might want to ask Apple for a US mobile phone you can send a text message - if that works the Apple International SMS theory maybe incorrect.

Anyway, I hope you’re successful one way or another.

Userlevel 1

I’m in the live chat now, just waiting for a reply. 
I have to trust Apple because there’s nothing else I can do. If they can’t fix the issue after trying everything I’ve already tried and more, then I have to try something else. If I’d can’t do what Apple say, and can’t fix the issue, then I’ll have to go back to Apple but don’t really know what kore I can do, then go back and forth. I need it resolved, and nothing so far has fixed the issue. 
the text they have told me to send, won’t send, so that’s the proof I have to what they say right now. 
again I appreciate your help, but anything google says to do, or other forums have said…I have already tried mulitple times. I need to take the advise of actual technicians on the matter 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You might want to ask Apple for a US mobile phone you can send a text message - if that works the Apple International SMS theory maybe incorrect.

Hopefully you’re successful one way or another.

Userlevel 1

It’s not just international messaging. It’s “short sms messaging” as I’ve said, they’ve given me a number to try, which I can’t text…I appreciate your help, but if you aren’t an employee of Apple or ID, or a technician. So appreciate your help, but you’re just frustrating me more. Trust me, I’ve tried everything I possible can !

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry @LysMoore, you said in an earlier post that you could send an SMS to the number @WelshPaul provided - i.e. +44 7786 205 094?

If you’ve sent an SMS to this number, then SMS messaging is working on your new iPhone 13. 

Userlevel 1

INTETNATIONAL SHORT SMS MESSAGING needs to be configured. The welsh number provided isn’t a short sms number. 
you don’t work for ID, Apple, or are a technician, so again. I don’t need your help, thank you. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s not just international messaging. It’s “short sms messaging” as I’ve said, they’ve given me a number to try, which I can’t text…I appreciate your help, but if you aren’t an employee of Apple or ID, or a technician. So appreciate your help, but you’re just frustrating me more. Trust me, I’ve tried everything I possible can !

You can argue with us all you want @LysMoore, but it’s not a short sms or international number that activates iMessage or Facetime, it’s the number I posted above. Apple are fobbing you off because they have exhausted all avenues! So, they just assume that your carrier is blocking the number that they use to activate the service (this is sometimes the case) and thus, here you are.

As @andewhite  has mentioned several times, this is an Apple service and not a carrier service. So, you are not paying iD mobile anything to use such services. iD Mobile allows one up to 30 days to test the service and if you are unhappy with it, you are free to leave penalty free under said cooling off period and switch networks.

Userlevel 1

Neither of you work for Apple, ID or are technicians, so AGAIN, I don’t need your help. There is nothing either of you have said, that will work, as I have already tried everything. The Welsh number was not mentioned by Apple, so I highly doubt this is used by Apple to verify anything. I am talking to ID  and should I need to, I will speak to Apple again.

I have tried everything online that says to resolve the issue. I don’t plan to cancel my contract with ID, and I don’t need you to suggest it either, but I am contracted to an iPhone…I am paying ID for an iPhone, so they should help me resolve the issue 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Neither of you work for Apple

I spent 6 years working for Apple. Instead of attacking people who are trying to assist you, try Google, which will provide you with links back to Apple that confirm the number I posted above is the number used for iMessage and Facetime activation. I have just deactivated and reactivated iMessage/Facetime on an iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.5.1(c) and the number used to activate the service is 07786205094. I would normally provide screenshots to backup my claims but it seems you have made your mind up as to what the cause is and so I will leave you to it. Good luck

Why iD Mobile?