Question

Unable to activate iMessage or Facetime

Show first post

56 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve not attacked anyone. I said mulitple times that I have tried everything. When I say everything, I mean everything. 
the number you suggested to text, went through, but nothing further has happened, and I am still having the same issue. Apple also tried a few things, and still nothing! 
M Apple have said ID need to do something their end…which none of you can do. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

the number you suggested to text, went through, but nothing further has happened

Manually, texting the number won’t activate either iMessage or FaceTime and that is not why I asked you to try. I just wanted to know if you encountered an error message when sending an SMS directly to it. Had you encountered an error message upon sending the SMS, then yes, iD Mobile is definitely the cause of your problem because they are preventing the SMS from being sent. However, if the message is successfully sent, then you’re half way there! It could still be an iD Mobile issue because although the activation text is being sent successfully, you might not be receiving the configuration files that are sent via SMS to your phone number in response to the activation text I mention above (it’s done in the background).

1. Did you setup Screen Time? If so, turn it off!

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Turn it off

2. What do the error messages that you see when activating iMessage/FaceTime say exactly?

3. Are you receiving short code texts from your bank, credit card company or online accounts that require two factor authentication?
  4. Did you port your number over to iD Mobile? It’s possible that you can’t receive some SMS or calls from certain number ranges/networks which is known in the industry as a split port. If this is the case, only iD Mobile can fix it.
Userlevel 1

I can text. I have said this before. I can send and receive text messages and calls, my number does work. I can also use iMessage and FaceTime from my email address, the only thing I can’t do, is receive or send iMessages/FaceTime from my mobile phone number. When I try to tick my phone number it says “verifying” next to it, and then I get a pop up that says “error occurred during activation”. My phone number does work, so texting a full number wouldn’t be an issue. The issue is the short sms messaging, as this is a requirement for iMessage, which Apple explained. 
Apple provided the number 48369, which I tried to text, but I get a red cuticle with an explanation mark in it..meaning the text won’t send to this short number. That is the issue, which ID need to fix. I don’t what caused this issue, but that’s what needs to be resolved in order for iMessage to work… apparently and hopefully! Texting any full phone number isn’t an issue. 

Userlevel 1

I did not change my contact number. I used the same sim with same phone under. Verification texts are working, as I needed This for iCloud. But again, it is the short number that isn’t working. I have tried everything that the forums, and Google say about this issue, nothing works. I have tried signing in and out of iCloud, restarting the phone, resetting the network, turning iMessage and FaceTime On and off, removing my phone number and re adding it…Apple also suggested some of these things and did it with me whilst on the phone. Again the issue is this short number, which they have said is needed for iMessage to work from my number 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Apple provided the number 48369

That is not used for iMessage or FaceTime activation. That is the shortcode used by Apple to verify services such as AppleCare in Canada and the US. See: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202725

FYI - I can’t text that short code number either using my iPhone 14 Pro using the SMARTY (Uses Three network like iD Mobile) network. In fact, SMARTY do not allow or support the sending of short codes at all! Yet both FaceTime and iMessages activate just fine on my device. That is because it is using the number I posted above to complete activation. I know this because I worked for Apple and I just accessed an engineering menu on my device and read the logs to confirm it hadn’t changed since I left them.

Anyway, I will leave you in the capable hands of iD Mobile whom will be able to access your account and hopefully help get your iMessage and FactTime services up and running.

Userlevel 1

So if Apple couldn’t fix the issue, or didn’t know how to, and didn’t suggest this number. How can this number fix my issue? Texting it does nothing. 
I have removed my phone number from my Apple ID, and iPhone, and re-added it, and this doesn’t help. As above I have tried everything Google has suggested, and the number you suggested was never mentioned. Google says that number is a Vodafone number. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apple provided the number 48369

FYI - I can’t text that short code number either using my iPhone 14 Pro using the SMARTY (Uses Three network like iD Mobile) network. 

Anyway, I will leave you in the capable hands of iD Mobile whom will be able to access your account and hopefully help get your iMessage and FaceTime services up and running.

I wouldn’t expect to be able use a US short code from a UK network in the UK.
Likewise I’d be surprised if you could send from a US network to a UK short code, given UK short codes are managed and run by the Shortcode Management Group (SCMG), which comprises of Hutchison 3G UK Ltd. (Three), Telefonica UK Ltd (O2), Vodafone UK Ltd and EE.

The number ranges for UK short codes are approved for mobile network operator (MNO) use by Ofcom, the UK telecoms regulator.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I have tried everything Google has suggested, and the number you suggested was never mentioned. Google says that number is a Vodafone number. 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple/Receiving-Texts-from-07786205094/td-p/530020

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5055132

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251374547

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7316331

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5025268

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254763893

https://www.google.com/search?q=07786205094+site:discussions.apple.com&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=AB5stBhj5osZYhcRqVYL8DqSz4_tPcHD1g:1689795059012&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiFgfGRwZuAAxW4QEEAHeyiBsIQrQIoBHoECBEQBQ&biw=1441&bih=795&dpr=2

I could post more? Anyway, this is all irrelevant as it does not appear to be the cause of your issue.

Userlevel 1

@WelshPaul none of those links tell me how to do anything. These are all very old forums, and don’t actually help at all. 
there is no way to use that number to activate anything, and as I have said mulitple times, I am using the same number so therefore don’t need to deactivate anything.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess if Apple have decided it’s an iD Mobile problem, it must be. 
As iD can access your iD account, no doubt they’ll get to the root cause, even though iMessage & FaceTime are Apple services, not iD Mobile services.
A text with “INFO” to 85075 would probably rule out issues with “short sms messaging”.

Userlevel 1

I think everyone is real so sing without reading my messages in full! I know iMessage is a service of Apple. However, my phone number is with my SIM card, and therefore I’d mobile. The issue is with someone to resolve. Apple have said it’s not them, so I’ve contacted Id with what Apple have said, and now I need to wait for ID to get back to me. 
I again have tried literally everything possible! I have been trying since I first swapped my sim to get this sorted. It has nothing to do with a new number or new sim, and sending me things I’ve already tried that don’t work, is just super frustrating, especially when neither of you actually work for ID or Apple, so can’t actually fix the problem. All you can do is suggest things I’ve already tried that I know don’t work, which I appreciate, but it’s just not helpful.

the Vodafone number Welsh guy has said, hasn’t been proven to fix anything, and there’s no way to fix my issue by texting that number, so literally I’m exactly where I started yesterday with no resolution until ID get back to me. I just have to hope they can fix it! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

@WelshPaul none of those links tell me how to do anything. These are all very old forums, and don’t actually help at all. 
there is no way to use that number to activate anything, and as I have said mulitple times, I am using the same number so therefore don’t need to deactivate anything.

Those links confirm that the number I posted above (several times now) is in fact the number used in the UK to activate iMessages and FaceTime even though you are adamant it is not. Many of those links link back to Apple’s own community forum!

You keep ranting that the number isn’t used for such and that you are focused solely on sending texts to US short codes which (as @andewhite already stated) isn’t allowed. Short codes do not work internationally and are country-specific. For example, a US short code can only send and receive messages in the US through the carriers that approved that short code, and the same rules apply for Canada and the UK, as well as other countries that support short codes.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved. 🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Because a new device is being used with the ‘old’ iD SIM card, Apple need the new device ID in so your iPhone 13 can use Apple’s iMessage & FaceTime services @LysMoore.

Hence the need for activation of the iMessage & FaceTime services with your new iPhone @LysMoore

Hopefully iD Mobile will get this Apple services issue fixed.

Userlevel 1

I never said it wasn’t correct, I said Apple didn’t suggest it, and I asked how I fix my issue using that number…which you didn’t answer either. 
I also said Google says it’s a Vodafone number. 
I am ranting about what Apple have told me, as they’re who I have to trust right now. Nothing you have provided has helped resolve the issue. It’s things I have either already tried which haven’t worked, or this random number you told me to text which still hasn’t resolved anything. 
Apples community forum is also the same as this one…where random people can comment what they want, it’s not actual staff or technicians, so can’t always be trusted. 

AGAIN I WILL SAY I have tried everything, and nothing anyone else has suggested has worked, so I have to hope what Apple said is correct. 2 people from Apple told me to do tho, so I just have to wait. I feel more inclined to trust actual workers, than some welsh guy in the internet. 

now honestly I don’t have the time to keep explaining my issue over and over. You both clearly can’t help resolve it, so I think this thread needs to end now. I will seek advise form professionals going forward 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The iD community is primarily a place were iD users try and help one another, but without success on this occasion @LysMoore

Hopefully, between them, Apple and iD Mobile can fix the Apple services activation problem on your iPhone 13.
🤞

Userlevel 1

I’ve seen this issue numerous times and followed guidance but nothing is working.
I’ve ported my number and all settings are correct but neither iMessage or FaceTime will activate and I just keep getting error messages. I’ve turned them off, I’ve turned the phone off, I’ve taken the sim out, I’ve signed out of my Apple ID. I’ve been through live chat 3 times and just get the same advice which doesn’t work. Nothing has got this to work. Never had a problem like this before. What is causing this issue?

Hi

Did you ever solve this?  I have exactly the same problems and symptoms, have tried all the suggestions but to no avail.  I am now trying a complete erase of the phone and starting again in th e hope that will work!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’ve seen this issue numerous times and followed guidance but nothing is working.
I’ve ported my number and all settings are correct but neither iMessage or FaceTime will activate and I just keep getting error messages.

Never had a problem like this before. What is causing this issue?

Hi

Did you ever solve this?  I have exactly the same problems and symptoms, have tried all the suggestions but to no avail.  I am now trying a complete erase of the phone and starting again in th e hope that will work!!

This appears to happen sometimes after porting your number to iD, especially if you used the iD SIM card before the number you wanted to keep was transferred to iD.

It often seems to sort itself out after 24-48 hours. 

Apple have the following online support article: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for replying...it’s been over 24 hrs now, so I’ll try waiting a bit longer...sigh!!

Userlevel 1

Hi. Did you ever get this sorted out?  I have EXACTLY the same problem and have tried everything like you, including erasing the phone and starting again.  No luck.  It’s now over 24 hrs since I ported and still Apple says phone number not verified or cannot be used for imessage and facetime.  Aaaaaargh!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi. Did you ever get this sorted out?  I have EXACTLY the same problem and have tried everything like you, including erasing the phone and starting again.  No luck.  It’s now over 24 hrs since I ported and still Apple says phone number not verified or cannot be used for imessage and facetime.  Aaaaaargh!!

Have you tried the following @ncl698?

1. Turn OFF iMessage
  2. Turn OFF FaceTime 
  3. Turn OFF your iPhone
  4. Remove the SIM card and check it’s clean from smudges and not damaged
  5. Wait 15-minutes then insert your iD SIM card and turn ON your iPhone
  6. Turn ON iMessage
  7. Turn ON FaceTime

Hopefully Apple will then recognise the mobile number linked to your iPhone is the number iD have assigned to the iD SIM card in your iPhone. 

Userlevel 1

Tried that. Tried everything!!  What eventually worked for you?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Tried that. Tried everything!!  What eventually worked for you?

1. Signed-out of my Apple ID on my iPhone.
  2. Turned OFF my iPhone.
  3. Login to iCloud and deleted iPhone from iCloud devices.
  4. On my laptop, login to Apple ID online account (https://appleid.apple.com/), and checked no devices listed.
  5. Turned ON my iPhone and signed-in with my Apple ID.

🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ncl698,

We hope that this managed to resolve your issue.

If you require further assistance, please get back to us.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @ncl698,

We hope that this managed to resolve your issue.

If you require further assistance, please get back to us.

Kash

No 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ncl698 

Is this a no to if this resolved your issue or if you’d like further assistance?

Please let us know if you need further assistance or not so we can get in touch.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?