Solved

Voicemail Number

Userlevel 2

Hi, I have just purchased a Samsung S23 and am trying to change the voicemail Number from +447782333129 to +447782333123, however it gives the message 'Failed to read data - your voicemail number can't be changed'.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks.

Alex.

icon

Best answer by Nikhil P 7 February 2024, 12:13

View original

132 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi All, 

The long awaited fix has now been implemented. You should now all be able to access your voicemail by pressing and holding ‘1’ on your keypad.

Sorry for the any inconvenience this issue has caused, and thank you for your patience.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 2

I think it should be a simple fix also.  I'm assuming not every new joiner is having the issue so it must just be a faulty batch of SIM cards, so we just need issuing a new SIM.  One of the guys that commented earlier has a new SIM on the way so let's see how that works out.

Yes, that was me, and I’m happy to report that the new SIM sent as a result of my helpdesk chat has arrived today and has fixed the problem, so the embedded voicemail number is now the correct one ending in 123 and works with a long press of the 1 key.

I guess the only remaining question is whether I was just lucky to get a replacement with the right number and there are still incorrect ones in the pipeline, or if they have recognised and corrected the problem for all new SIMs.

I would say it is worth asking for a replacement online just by saying that your current one is faulty.  I found it was only a minor inconvenience having to activate the new SIM online and then wait an hour for it to go live.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Wow @jonlane - acknowledgement of issue with voicemail service number from iD - amazing!

Userlevel 1

I tried messaging the support team via X (I still can't get used to not calling it twitter).

They took me off public chat into DMs to tell me it's still being looked at and there's no ETA for a solution other than to send out a new SIM card which (as we can see from @lucduk23 ) may not fix the issue cos they seem to have a huge batch of wrongly configured SIM cards that they're still sending out - which is really poor practice...

If we all keep messaging them publicly on X, every day, they'll start to pay more attention.

Just taking about it in here is having no effect.

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi, 

We currently have a fix for this issue going through testing, and hope to have it rolled out in med February. 

I’ll update you once I know a deployment data for the fix. 

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks, 

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

We currently have a fix for this issue going through testing, and hope to have it rolled out in med February. 

I’ll update you once I know a deployment data for the fix. 

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks, 

Nikhil

Hi Nikhil

That's a really helpful update, thank you.

In case it helps anyone, as a temporary fix I've set up speed dial on the 2 key to dial voicemail. It's a basic workaround and doesn't work in all cases, but it's slightly easier than dialing 123 every time.

Like Orvill71 says though - the faulty SIMs should have been recalled and either reconfigured or held until this fix was in place. Poor show to keep giving them out to unsuspecting new customers.

Jamie.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the update.  👍

If +447782333129 is going to be new VOICEMAIL NUMBER and they haven't yet set it up they should at least have applied a divert from +447782333129 back to +447782333123.

I suspect someone has either programmed this DODGY sims wrong or the new voicemail number hasn't launched.

Either way IDMOBILE should be addressing this but as usual NOTHING.

So again where are the moderators employed by IDMOBILE?

Userlevel 1

Just come to add my name to the list.  Ported from EE on November 29.

Userlevel 2

Yes, that response is rubbish.  It can't be a phone problem if the issue will move between devices if you transfer the SIM card between them as I have proved. This incorrect and uneditable number is clearly provided from the SIM, and as such it is an iD problem.

While the workaround of dialling 123 is OK for the UK, if travelling outside the UK you would need to keep a record of the full number and dial that manually, whereas if the SIM provided the correct number you could just use a long press on 1 while abroad, so I don't think that is acceptable.

Userlevel 2

I just spoke to the Complaints department in the UK.  They recognise that there is an issue with some recent SIM cards having the incorrect voicemail number pre-programmed!!!!!!

The very helpful lady said she had read something a couple of days ago about the issue and it is being looked in to but she didn't know what the fix was yet.  She is sending me a replacement SIM in the meantime by next day courier just in case it's a good one, and also said if I call back tomorrow hopefully they will have an update on the issue.   It could be a new SIM once they have some working ones or it could be an over the air update to our current SIMs.

So no fix yet but at least they recognise there's a general issue now.

Userlevel 2

Wow @jonlane - acknowledgement of issue with voicemail service number from iD - amazing!

I know, I was ready for an argument, I even mentioned this chat thread, but she took the wind out of my sail by saying yes we are aware of it lol.

Well I've been rowing with them on twitter and still can't believe they came back to me saying it was an "individual" problem when clearly it's not. Seen again a few more posts stating the same. Either there manufacturers of the sims have made a big mistake or someone at idmobile has. But I thinking it's shocking that customers have to go to these extremes for someone to get off there backside to resolve. Simply not good enough.

Hi @Anthonygb 

I’m sorry you feel that we’ve blamed our customers initially, that’s not what we intend to do, before we know of a widespread issue, we’re only dealing with individual cases which we’d treat as individual, when internally we’re updated to say there is a widespread issue, that’s when we can match up what we believed to be individual issues with a widespread one.

Tom

“And? What is the solution?”…. this has gone on and on and on…. still IDMOBILE is clueless what they intend to do to resolve this issue!

Customers want resolutions not promises that dont happen!

I have exactly the same issue that you can't change the embedded number +447782333129 to +447782333123 clearly someone has made a mess sending sims out like this and is shocking it is not being look into by ID mobile. Where are the online staff suppose to be assisting. Clearly new customers joining recently have exactly this issue.

So we are supposed to just get a replacement sim sent or can't they just do a sim swap at a curry's store?

I ported over from Tesco Mobile a couple of weeks ago and I have the same issue.  How is this incorrect number retrieved?  Is it stored on the SIM card itself?  Could be a batch of incorrectly configured SIM cards?

I have tried different devices and it retrieves the same incorrect number

Userlevel 2

I can contact voicemail by dialing 123, however I wanted to change the number so I can access it by pressing and holding No 1 on the keypad.

I reset the network adapters, but unfortunately no change. 

Perhaps an update needs pushed out.

Thanks.

AlexM

I have been on twitter arguing this but they response given stated they cant see an issue on this thread. They simply either dont read it or taking the P. Clearly there is a problem with there sim cards. 

@Nikhil P and co need to be looking at this but as usual the customers is getting the big fob off.

Userlevel 2

I have been on twitter arguing this but they response given stated they cant see an issue on this thread. They simply either dont read it or taking the P. Clearly there is a problem with there sim cards. 

@Nikhil P and co need to be looking at this but as usual the customers is getting the big fob off.

How can they not see there's an issue?!?!?  My next replacement SIM is due tomorrow so will see how that one goes and if it still doesn't work I will order another.  I will also get in touch with ID complaints and then if they don't deal with on to the ombudsman.  All ID have to do is accept there's an issue and push a SIM update out surely.

Userlevel 2

My other phone, which is on O2, has 901 which similarly cannot be changed in the phone app settings, but is the correct number and works with a long press on 1.

I have just put my iD SIM in this phone and it now comes up with the 129 number which I think proves that it is embedded in my iD SIM.

After putting my O2 SIM back in it has changed back to 901.

So, over to iD - please issue us with new SIMs with the correct number embedded in them.

Userlevel 1

So I got a new sim card today from Currys. My voicemail number is now correct and ends 123. My voicemail now works when holding down 1.

The sim card batch number I got from Currys is 8944200 1244310.…

The batch number of my old (new contract 3 weeks old sim) which didn't work was 8944200 1248540.…

Definitely a dodgy new batch of sim cards!

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have just purchased a Samsung S23 and am trying to change the voicemail Number from +447782333129 to +447782333123, however it gives the message 'Failed to read data - your voicemail number can't be changed'.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks.

Alex.

I have just received a voicemail notification message. The message says ‘You have 1 new voicemail.  Call +447782333123 to listen’ .  When I clicked to call the voicemail number (the correct number) I get a busy/engaged tone.   The only way to access my voicemails is to dial 123.  ID mobile please look into this!

So glad to have found this thread as I transferred from Smarty to iD and have been experiencing the same issue and getting hardly any help, other than the comments that everyone else has mentioned.

It's good to note that iD has recognised there is an issue, but from the sound of it I'm not expecting a solution anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong. 

@steveb4015 this has gone on for weeks and weeks. You can read what you want into it but the responses everyone keeps getting was “first there wasnt a problem but blamed the customers themselves”, “then to be informed its an individual problem and not widespread”, “then once there staff on twitter seen this thread continued to blame everyone but themselves.

They have known about this issue for weeks and weeks. We just get fobbed off saying the tech team is looking for a resolution. But from what I am reading they dont know how to resolve the mess that someone has done with there DODGY sim cards.

I am raging at the poor response and how long they are taking to find a resolution on something that they caused.

Dialling 123 like its 1995 is unacceptable given the smartphones that we all have now. The phone should be able to simply go into voicemail by an instant. I wouldn't hold my breath of any resolution as this has gone on and on and on for weeks.

I agree it's only minor and annoying but it is shockingly poor that customer services nor the moderators have got on to this thread to at least report there is a problem. Both sims  I got had the wrong number for voicemail on them and you can't change. It's just a pain in the backside that you can't hold down the 1 key to get to your voicemail but need to dial the voicemail number direct. Then I'm wondering if it's account related as both sims  I got had this problem on it. Either way beyond trying to speak to them as it does seem tech and support are clueless.

New SIM card on its way.  Just told them I need a replacement SIM to fix an issue with the pre programmed voicemail number being incorrect and the agent said sure, it's on its way.

Lets us know how you get on! The replacement one I got from Currys done nothing so if it works for you I will report the same issue with Customer Services as they must be doing something on there systems!

Why iD Mobile?