Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

449 replies

@Kash not very helpful sorry i’ve already been to a currys and got a replacement sim. it worked at first, with no internet. after 12h or so maybe, it no longer registers the card present. this has and still is causing me grief. all other sim work normally. the two ‘identical’ id sim both fail in the same way as described above.

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Tried it all, STILL not working. NOT a great start to a new relationship. If no SPEEDY resolution, will cancel contract and go elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Huwtdc 

Does the SIM card work in other devices?

A replacement SIM card failing in the same way would indicate a device issue.

Tom

Hi @Huwtdc 

Does the SIM card work in other devices?

A replacement SIM card failing in the same way would indicate a device issue.

Tom

Doesn't work j in my old phone either

Hi. I’ve just ported from GiffGaff and received my new pay monthly sim. 

the port seems to have completed as I have lost signal on my GiffGaff sim. The problem is my new iPhone 11 doesn’t recognise the new ID sim. Whenever I insert it, I get an error saying sim not recognised. I don’t get this error when I put the GiffGaff sim inside (although I’ve obviously not got signal any longer on my GiffGaff sim). 

I’ve tried turning phone on and off, and also toggling aeroplane mode, neither work. 

i can’t speak to a human from ID as I believe it’s all online. 

the SIM card doesn’t work in my partners unlocked iPhone 14Pro

Any help appreciated. 

I have received a SIM on 30 June 23. I gave you a pac code to change to my new number also. The SIM is not working and I have no service. I have tried the SIM in other phones and no service in them all. I know the phone works as i have tried other SIMs in it and it is working. I cannot get the ID app as you cannot send me a text with a verification number. Your live chat function is useless and just gives standard advice, i cannot get to speak to anyone. So far i have found as a new customer the info you provide and access to support is terrible. How do i get a new working SIM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Bill Sturgeon 

Do you still need help here?

I believe we’ve been in contact via social media, please let us know here or there if you still require assistance.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SmallWhiteApple 

We’ll be in contact via PMs about this one.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Duncan Gill 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Hi, I’ve just put in my new sim from you as it looked like my old number had ported across. But when I put the sim card in my phone it asked for a ‘SIM network unlock PIN’- what is this please?!

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jur 

A SIM unlock PIN is typically set by the user or by default “0000” or “1234”, please could you try these and let us know how you get on?

Tom

Sim works but Wi-Fi calling doesn’t? Have checked phone with another sim and it works fine. No mobile signal at home so Wi-Fi calling is critical or I will have to cancel. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @iHop,

Welcome to the Community!

Is your handset an iD approved and compatible handset?

You can view check your handset at the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

Kash

You supplied it, it’s an iPhone 14 pro. How do I cancel and escape this nonsense?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You supplied it, it’s an iPhone 14 pro. How do I cancel and escape this nonsense?

Assuming you purchased this iPhone online from “mobiles.co.uk”, you’d need to follow the relevant cooling off process for returning and cancelling your order @iHop.

This is covered online... 

https://media.secure-mobiles.com/tandc/Mobiles_/Mobiles-returns-cancellation-and-exchange-policy-July22.pdf

🤞  

Thanks. Just spoke to mobiles.co.uk

they seem happy to process a full return

needless to say I won’t be coming anywhere near ID mobile again.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks. Just spoke to mobiles.co.uk

they seem happy to process a full return

needless to say I won’t be coming anywhere near ID mobile again.

It’s bizarre, you’ve got to wonder why couldn’t iD Mobile figure out how to enable Wi-Fi Calling for your iD account @iHop - especially as it’s advertised in the “Why iD” section of the website. 

In addition, their “Approved Handsets” online page shows that the iPhone 14 range is verified for iD 4G Calling and iD WiFi Calling.

Hello just received my new phone and SIM the SIM card doesn't work. I've tried my old SIM which works fine so must be the SIM card.

Hi I received a new SIM card the number is REMOVED that SIM card doesn’t work I tried everything that you said to do and it doesn’t work thank you Marcin

I put my new sim in today, had a message to say “good news your number has switched to ID” but my imessages aren’t working and when I look on my settings, the number hasn’t updated to the number I wanted to keep. Any suggestions? I’ve turned it off for long periods all afternoon and it’s still not working!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I put my new sim in today, had a message to say “good news your number has switched to ID” but my imessages aren’t working and when I look on my settings, the number hasn’t updated to the number I wanted to keep. Any suggestions? I’ve turned it off for long periods all afternoon and it’s still not working!

I’d suggest a NETWORK RESET @CathyBalcer
This often solves issues like this - your handset user guide should explain how to do this. 
🤞 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi I received a new SIM card the number is REMOVED that SIM card doesn’t work I tried everything that you said to do and it doesn’t work thank you Marcin

Hey @Marcin2777  is this a new contract or an upgrade?

Hello just received my new phone and SIM the SIM card doesn't work. I've tried my old SIM which works fine so must be the SIM card.

Likewise @Simon Caulder  is this a new contract you purchased from us or is this an upgrade you have?

Mohammed

I’ve received a new iPhone 14 and new SIM from mobiles.co.uk but the SIM is not working. I have tried all of the troubleshooting suggested on your website but it’s still not working. How do I get support to get this issue fixed, this is the first mobile provider that I have ever used where I cannot get to speak to someone to solve the issue.

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

I can't connect outside my home Where I have WiFi.

I have noticed that in the app it states my contract started Mar 2023 and ended April 2023.

I'm still paying monthly ....  so not sure what's going on.

Although the service was poor, it's only stopped over the past couple of weeks. 

Please help

Thanks, Louise

Why iD Mobile?