Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

447 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @David Rees Evans 

The length of time between delivery and first use wouldn’t be the issue with a SIM card not working, what happens when you put it in your device? Do you get any errors?

What device(s) have you tried with your iD Mobile SIM?

Tom

Hi, I managed to lose my phone along with its ID sim-card.  I’ve got a new sim-card and activated it, but it seems to be taking a lot longer than the one hour advertised to start working.  I just wanted to check I didn’t need to register my sim-card as lost or stolen first.  I’ve got it in a oneplus 5T which I have previously used with ID with no problems.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @bonobo,

Welcome to the Community!

I can see that it’s been a few days since your post.

Is the SIM now working as it can sometimes take a little longer to activate on some occasions.

If the SIM isn’t working, please get back to us here and we will PM you to help get it sorted.

Kash

Hi, my SIM card looks to be bent so when I put it in the phone it says no service, emergency calls only. I can’t register online as it needs to send an 8 digit code to the phone which it can’t. Please call me or email me 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SharonG123 

I’m sorry to hear about your SIM card, we wouldn’t be able to call or email outbound for customer service, we can get in contact here on the community to assist further if you wish, or we can be contacted via the live chat.

If you wish for us to get in contact here, please let us know.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Tom

Hi

i can’t get my sim to work. It came on for about 20 seconds maybe then stopped working. I’ve tried your recommendations and tried it to different phones. An iPhone XR and an iPhone 15. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @heilancoo,

We can look at sending out a replacement SIM or you can collect one from your local Curry’s store.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Kash

My sim new account sim card won't work tried it in three compatible  phones all saying not registered 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Motorcross99 

It sounds like the new SIM you’ve received isn’t activated. Have you tried to activate it using the iD app or your account online?

If it’s showing as active, it sounds like you need a replacement SIM. The live chat team will be able to send out a free replacement. If you wish for us to send you a PM on here to send one out, just let us know.

Live Chat | iD Mobile Network

-Lauren

I can't get into my account to activate  the sim because I moved my number it doesn't recognise  my number so can't sign in

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for letting us know, @Motorcross99 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

-Lauren

I've recently purchased phone (Pixel 7A) from Carphone Warehouse that runs on ID Mobile monthly plan. Received everything but SIM isn't working. Coverage is fine, cheked SIM in both new and old phones but can't activate SIM. Done all steps suggest above but still no success.

I also haven't received any contract for monthly payment from ID mobile which is strange.

Any help much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @IrinaP,

It sounds like your SIM may be faulty.

You can collect a replacement SIM from a Curry’s Store or we can send one out.

Kash

I have just received a new SIM card but my phone cannot detect it. I have tried all of the above including using an alternative device but it still does not work.

As with others above is the SIM faulty and do I require another?

Thanks. 

Hi @IrinaP,

It sounds like your SIM may be faulty.

You can collect a replacement SIM from a Curry’s Store or we can send one out.

Kash

Thank you Kash, it was not activated from ID mobile end I guess. I've received all info etc today and SIM is working just fine now. It must take week or so from getting device to having everything set up and running. 

I need help with an inactive sim (new customer)
I have a question posted on my profile and here’s to it link below
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/i-need-help-with-an-inactive-sim-new-customer-56407

I have my new SIM card and my phone still has no mobile service. I have turned my phone on and off several times and i have put it on and off airplane mode but still no signal. this is incredibly frustrating as i am expecting important telephone calls

I got my sim fixed! 
If you use the live chatbot and click through all the automated responses you’ll eventually get to an actual person.
My problem was that the order had not been closed by the Carphone Warehouse employee (They didn’t verify using my debit card). I had to go back into the store and complete the verification process so that it could be activated. 

Hope this helps

I have just received a new SIM card but my phone cannot detect it. I have tried all of the above including using an alternative device but it still does not work.

As with others above is the SIM faulty and do I require another?

Thanks. 

I spoke to the live chat (once I got through to a human) and after going through all of the checks above with me again, told me to go to a Curry’s to get a replacement SIM.

I had gone in to a Curry’s already having followed the steps above but they told me I had to do the live chat before I could get a replacement SIM.  So it was annoying and frustrating to have to travel to a Curry’s again.

If you’re having trouble search for the live chat link.  Do the live chat and then if they agree it isn’t working they will send you to a Curry’s.

New SIM works fine.

My phone is saying mobile network not available.  I have had the phone for 2 months.  I have tried all the steps turn on and off/airplane mode and removing and re inserting sim.  Still not working.  Can anyone help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Improchum 

Glad to hear Live Chat could get you up and running with a replacement SIM card, let us or them know if you need anything else.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @IrinaP 

Glad to hear you’re up and running now, please let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TimKnox 

I see we’ve responded to you on another post, please let us know how you’re getting on there.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SBlakely 

Glad to hear that’s sorted, let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @me79 

I’m sorry to hear this, are you able to try the SIM card in another device to see if it works there?

If not, a replacement SIM card picked up from Currys and activated in the iD Mobile app may be worth a try.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?