Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

446 replies

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

I can't connect outside my home Where I have WiFi.

I have noticed that in the app it states my contract started Mar 2023 and ended April 2023.

I'm still paying monthly ....  so not sure what's going on.

Although the service was poor, it's only stopped over the past couple of weeks. 

Please help

Thanks, Louise

I can't connect outside my home where I have WiFi.

I have noticed that in the app it states my contract started Mar 2023 and ended April 2023.

I'm still paying monthly ....  so not sure what's going on.

Although the service was poor, it's only stopped over the past couple of weeks. 

Please help

Thanks, Louise

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lu Lu,

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you have a 30 day rolling contract but we can check this for you.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

I've received my new SIM today and it's asking for an unlock code when I insert it. My phone is unlocked. I've tried all your troubleshooting hints but nothing is working. There was no paperwork with the sim so I don't know the number.  Help! :) 

Userlevel 1

I am currently without a phone as I have been given a SIM card that does not work. Last time I contacted the live chat they told me it would be live by 6pm today however it still is not working. It says NO SIM on my phone even after trying all the steps in this forum. Could it be that the SIM card is faulty? How do I go about receiving a new one if so?

My sim is not working despite trying the online chat 4 times now. The first person asked me to go to iMessage and enter my number, there was no option to do that. The second and third people assured me the sim would be activated within an hour and it wasn’t. The 4th couldn’t help me either. I received an initial welcome to ID mobile text with “your sim will be activated within the next hour” but nothing since. 8 days of paying and not being able to do a thing on my phone. I am close to cancelling as I can’t speak to a person on the phone and no shops to go into. Can someone contact me as a last resort please? 

cleaning the sim, trying airplane mode, taking the sim out, checking coverage in the area, turning the phone on and off I have tried multiple times and nothing works.

I am currently without a phone as I have been given a SIM card that does not work. Last time I contacted the live chat they told me it would be live by 6pm today however it still is not working. It says NO SIM on my phone even after trying all the steps in this forum. Could it be that the SIM card is faulty? How do I go about receiving a new one if so?

I am in exactly the same position, interesting someone else is too!

My sim card isn't working and I'm not connected to the network since yesterday I can call or messge people nore resve messages or calls I've tryed all suggested processes nothing is working 

Ordered a new sim. It doesn’t appear to be working. Have tried troubleshooting all the above. This is a work mobile so I really need it back working again. Wondering if I should just order another replacement? 

Userlevel 1

I just collected a replacement SIM from curry’s and it also isn’t working. Instead of it saying “NO SIM” it now says “No Service” on my phone. However I have tried turning flight mode on and off, turning the phone off and tried it in different locations (even different towns) still nothing. The live chat doesn’t put me through to anyone as they are constantly busy so might just cancel my new contract.

My sim card isn't working and I'm not connected to the network since yesterday I can call or messge people nore resve messages or calls I've tryed all suggested processes nothing is working 

It wasn't a new sim also 

Hi @iD Mobile , I’ve bought new SIM card pay as you go and requested my number to be moved from the old provided. It was supposed to be completed yesterday (3rd Aug) and I was disconnected form the old provider but my sim card from ID Mobile doesn’t work. It’s not recignised by any of 2 phones I’ve tried and it just says ‘no SIM’.

I’ve tried all recommended steps on your website and other SIM cards are working well with those phones so the issue is with the SIM card.

Can you urgently help with that please? I have also contacted you on Twitter but still waiting for a reply there.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @iD Mobile , I’ve bought new SIM card pay as you go and requested my number to be moved from the old provided. It was supposed to be completed yesterday (3rd Aug) and I was disconnected form the old provider but my sim card from ID Mobile doesn’t work. It’s not recignised by any of 2 phones I’ve tried and it just says ‘no SIM’.

I’ve tried all recommended steps on your website and other SIM cards are working well with those phones so the issue is with the SIM card.

Can you urgently help with that please? I have also contacted you on Twitter but still waiting for a reply there.

You can get a replacement SIM card from Currys, otherwise you’ve got to ask using iD live chat @FilipK.

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Hello. I got a new sim as I upgraded for sim only , and it isn’t working on my phone. Lyca sim works perfectly but not my ID sim!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jiza Baktybekova,

If you upgraded your iD Mobile number your old SIM may still work.

If the old iD Mobile SIM doesn’t work either, please let us know and we can investigate further.

Kash

I came back from holiday and my phone is working perfectly but my sim card is not working I tried using sim on my partners phone and is the same result not working.  My partner also use the same ID network sim and works absolutely fine on both phone. I am now sure that my sim is not working and how can I receive another sim by post

Previous sim locked  out replacement sim showing no services I think I need to activate new sim and change sim reg code

to my newly made account 

name Denis O'connor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Denis Oconnor,

I have removed your SIM number and account number from the post.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

New Pay Monthly Phone - SIM not Working

I have read the articles above and followed the solutions  suggested and the SIM is still not working despite being activated. It does not work in another phone but the new phone provided as part of the contract works with another SIM. Suggestions??

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Gina Jenkins 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Tried all the above suggestions and phone states no SIM.  Tried in my iPhone 14 and the wife's iPhone 12 and my car.  Nothing.  Sim not even recognised as being in phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Budgerigar 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

New sim is not working. I have tried it in 2 compatible handsets. Very disappointed so far. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @NickyJJ 

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

New sim is not doing anything tried the trouble shooting. I received the sim over a month ago and only just got round to using it, is that the issue? 

Why iD Mobile?