Question

Did STAC instead of PAC

• 31 October 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I used STAC instead of PAC and want to keep my phone number. Is there any way of keeping my number?

thank you

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @am1712, did you get a STAC from iD and give that to another provider, or have you got a STAC from elsewhere and given it to iD Mobile? 

Userlevel 1

hi, I got the STAC from iD

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @am1712, have you used the STAC?

If yes, when did you give your STAC to your new service provider? 

Userlevel 1

I believe it was the 21/10 and the contract with the new provider started as of today 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Normally a STAC would be processed by the gaining network provider the next working day, and the gaining provider would email and SMS you with details confirming the timing.

Anyway, seems a long delay @am1712 - did you request a particular date, when submitting your STAC to your new provider?

Did you receive any messages from your new provider @am1712?  

Userlevel 1

Yes so I requested it for today and inserted the SIM card yesterday.

I tried getting the PAC code from iD yesterday but by then my iD SIM card no longer was working .

I haven’t really received any messages from my new provider. I currently have a different phone number now though as I got STAC and PAC mixed up.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m guessing here @am1712 - did you want to leave iD at the end of Oct 2022 and start with your new provider on 01-Nov-2022?

As you’d already requested a STAC from iD, I doubt you’d have been able to get a PAC until your STAC expired. The codes are valid for 30-days from the date of issue.

If you sign-in to your My iD Account online, does it say your iD account was closed on 01-Nov-2022?

Userlevel 1

So on my iD account it was closed on 31/10. I chose to start with my new provider on the 01/11 however I was able to use it from the 31/10.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @am1712, unfortunately I think mobile number you wanted to keep has gone now because your iD account was closed yesterday, as a result of your STAC request being processed.

Was SIM card from your new provider already activated, or did you have to activate your new provider’s SIM card on 31-Oct-2022?

You should’ve received something from the new provider about the closing of your iD account though - has it gone to the “Junk Email” or “Spam” folder in your mailbox?

Userlevel 1

I activated it on the 31/10. I’ve checked junk but it’s not there. I’ve only received an email about the new contract I now have.But it’s okay, thank you anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @am1712,

A STAC code is used if you wanted to switch and not keep the number.

Requesting the STAC code doesn’t cancel, it’s only actioned when you give it to the new provider.

Giving the STAC code would have told them you’re switching & not keeping the number and in turn, disconnected this.

We wouldn’t be able to reconnect this number now, sorry about that.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I suffered from this problem when I was wrongly advised by my new network to get a STAC code instead of a PAC code.  I had a couple of worrisome days but got my old number back in the end.  In the hope that it may help someone else I wanted to post what I did…

1. About an hour after my number was switched off I spoke to ID over the web chat to ask what was going on.  Found out at that point my number was gone 😮.  Didn’t get much joy from them but they said that the number would “Go back into Three’s pool of unused numbers” as ID works off of Three’s network.
  2. Called Three, spoke to an absolutely lovely woman there who was super helpful.  She said “I can see the number is not deleted as it is still actively registered to ID”.  She suggest I go back to them and say that was Three’s opinion.
  3. Went back to ID’s web chat but got no where with them although I have to say the guy did persevere with me and I was obviously a bit upset.
  4. Didn’t really know what to do at that point so spoke to my new network (O2) who were not very helpful… (not looking forward to the next 2 years with them).  Then came back on this community and saw a post saying reach out to ID through social media so contacted them through Facebook messenger.  Firstly spoke to a guy called Tom who said “If this can be sorted I promise to get it sorted for you and get you a PAC code for that number.”  This was about 5pm so my number had been gone for about 6 hours at this point.
  5. The next day at about 2pm I got a message through Messenger from a guy called Jim with my PAC code!  I’m not gay, but I think I would have kissed Jim at that point had that been possible 😆 He and Tom really saved my skin!
  6. Gave the PAC code to O2 and the number switched back to my original one the following day at about 5pm

So I think the takeaway is for anyone in this situation is act fast.  Don’t hang around thinking “I’ll give them another try tomorrow” spend the rest of the day chasing around gathering all the information you can and don’t take the first no as the answer.  It’s potentially worth speaking to Three as they most likely have info on your ID number that the web chat people can’t access and that seemed to carry some weight with ID.  Finally, use other channels like this one but also Facebook or Twitter (etc.).

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Qball101,

Thanks for sharing.

If you require any help in the future, please feel free to drop a post.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?