Question

International Issues

• 7 November 2023
  • 2 replies

I’ve been in the States for 12 hours and my phone isn’t sending/receiving texts, and the internet isn’t working. The roaming is set-up on both my iPhone and in the ID mobile app. I did have a £25 spend cap but that’s ran out whilst on the phone to ID Mobile trying to fix it, and now I can’t increase the cap any further. 

I’m on my own and about to go backpacking in the mountains- this is causing me a huge safety risk and ID Mobile isn’t helping me! Please can someone assist? In 2023 I don’t understand how there can be such an issue with 1. Using a phone abroad and 2. Contacting the carrier for help! :(

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @Bryonybrand, not sure you can change your spend cap in the same month that it reaches its limit. Receiving text messages while roaming in the US is free though. 

Probably best to get assistance using the iD online live chat - talk to a customer service agent about your bill cap issue - the agents work until 8pm UK time on weekdays. 

Chat online at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat (works via a popup window in your browser).

Otherwise, if you’ve got an iPhone 11 or later, it could be better to buy a data only eSIM to use while you’re in the US. 
When I was travelling in the US in Jan ‘23, I used a Soracom Mobile data only eSIM to avoid the huge charges for roaming mobile data in the US.
Other data only eSIM plans are available from Airalo, BreatheSIM, DENT Wireless, GoMoWorld, Ubigi, etcetera - or maybe consider using an local eSIM from Cricket, Mint Mobile, US Mobile etcetera. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Bryonybrand 

If your bill cap has been reached our side wouldn’t allow any further access to services that would cost you money to use, you may need to look into the iD Mobile app/website while logged in to see if it’ll allow you to raise the cap further, however this may be exhausted quite quickly too.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?