Question

Living abroad for a while, want to keep sim active for visiting UK

• 26 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I’m living abroad for a while but still coming to the UK at the least once a year, sometimes more.

I want to keep my ID Mobile account so that when I come back to the UK I can just put the sim in my phone, go on the ID app and I’ll be good to go. 

I’m currently on a monthly plan (SIM Only) £6 per month. 

I am hoping there might be a Traditional PAYG sim I can downgrade to where I can keep my number, I won’t pay anything the months I’m not using it, but pay as I use when I am in town. Ideally with no minimum usage requirement as I don’t know how long I’ll be out of town each time.
Or alternatively can I park my number or pause and then reactivate when I visit?

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

To keep your number going with a pay monthly iD SIM, you have to pay each month - you can’t pause the plan, @LivBe

Alas, you can’t turn a pay monthly iD account into an iD PAYG account. 

Perhaps the best option might be switching to a PAYG provider (e.g. giffgaff). Most PAYG providers have a requirement for you to do something chargeable at least once every 180-days, to prevent the account being closed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LivBe,

Welcome to the Community!

Regarding PAYG SIM’s as per the terms, It will automatically disconnect after 4 months of no chargeable Service, Top-Up or Bundle purchase and you will not be refunded for any remaining Top-Up credit. Please note, that you must request a PAC code if you want to transfer your number to another network.

Kash

Userlevel 1

There is a fair use policy for using data abroad. Be careful to not go over that. 

Why iD Mobile?