Question

PAYG Unlimited bundle suddenly stopped working. "Out of credit" and "reached my capped limit"! No data, calls or texts!

• 23 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the pay-as-you-go Unlimited bundle, with unlimited minutes, texts and data.

The past few days, I have been unable to access data. I hadn’t needed to make any calls or send any texts, but I’ve just tried and neither of those things is working either. Texts fail to send, and when I called my voicemail I got a recorded message, which said:

“You are currently unable to make any calls because you’ve reached your capped limit. To start using your phone again you need to make a payment or increase your capped limit.”

It says I can do this by logging in to my account, but I can’t see anything about a capped limit in my account. In any case, as far as I know, the concept of a cap is only applicable to pay monthly contracts, not pay-as-you-go, and I haven’t done anything that would exceed one. Usually I can call Voicemail just fine by using minutes from my allowance.

The network is redirecting all Web traffic to a captive portal. The captive portal is actually broken, because it redirects itself to itself in an endless loop, so I don’t actually get to see the page it is trying to show me. In Chromium-based browsers, this results in ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. Sometimes I get ERR_CONNECTION_RESET instead.

If I connect to WiFi, so that I have full internet access and I am not trapped in the captive portal, I can then reload the page that the captive portal was trying to send me to and I can see that it is an iD Mobile page that tells me I am unable to use data, either because I have run out of credit or used up my data allowance. Its URL is https://my.idmobile.co.uk/no-credit.htm

It is true that I have £0 credit in my account. But I also have the £20 Unlimited bundle, so data should be working fine regardless. If I log into my account, it still shows that I have an infinite amount of data, texts and minutes remaining in my allowance.

When this first happened, I was only a couple of days away from my next bundle renewal, so I decided to wait and see if it fixed itself when the bundle renewed. Unfortunately, it hasn’t. The bundle got renewed yesterday and I got the usual text message from iD saying the payment was successful; but the network is still redirecting me to the broken captive portal that says I’ve run out of data.

Of course, I’ve tried turning the phone off and on again, but it hasn’t made any difference.

So, it looks like I’m currently paying £20 a month for practically no service at all.

On the plus side, it looks like I can still receive texts, which is lucky, because I had an important text come through with some appointment details yesterday. (Not to mention 2 factor authentication texts for logging in to things.)

Any ideas?

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like an iD Mobile billing system issue with the everything unlimited bundle. 

Forum members can’t look at your iD account @p59493
Nor does this forum provide real time live chat - iD staff usually check forum posts once-a-day, sometimes less frequently.

I’d suggest speaking to iD support using their online live chat service. 
Agents work until 8pm on weekdays.  

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite. I didn’t realise there was a live chat until after I’d posted this, when I saw it mentioned in some other posts. Even having discovered that it was a thing, it still took me a while to find it! (I’ve found it now.)

Userlevel 1

For the sake of completeness:

• I live-chatted to a customer service agent and they are sending me a replacement SIM, which should arrive in a couple of days.
  • They have also raised the issue with the technical team.

I see that this has been the response to similar issues in the past, so I won’t hold out too much hope for a proper fix. Sending a replacement SIM feels to me like a work-around for buggy software in the billing system. It is giving me visions of a nightmare mess of fragile, untestable source code that nobody has been able to successfully debug for months.

The issue was efficiently and courteously dealt with by the customer service agent though. (Assuming the replacement SIM does actually end up working.)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @p59493.
FYI, replacement SIM cards need to be activated before use on the network. There’s an option to do this in the iD account online (somewhere). 

Userlevel 1

I just got a text saying “We’ve taken action to fix the issue you recently raised with us” and then another text saying I’ve successfully topped up £0.01 (actually, it said “£.01”; a minor text formatting error there), and now calls, texts and data are all working again (on the original SIM card; the new one hasn’t arrived yet).

Posting this using my 4G data connection.

So it looks like maybe there is (or was, if they’re fixing it) a bug where things stop working if you have a balance of £0.00, even if you also have bundle allowances remaining. Or maybe it’s something that happens if you haven’t manually topped up for a while. (Perhaps the auto-renewal of bundles doesn’t trigger the same code path, or something. Just speculating.)

Hopefully they’ve managed to figure out the root cause and solved it there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @p59493,

We hope that your issue is resolved.

If you still require assistance you can get in touch with us here.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?