Skip to main content
Solved

Does Mobile Data Roaming work in Belgium on Android when it's been enabled on the device and in the account and APN is on "id"?

• 2 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Voice and sms work fine. Android is up to date etc. Network connection is set to automatic and I got the welcome message: 

Welcome! With iD, you can roam free in 50 destinations worldwide. Use your minutes, texts and data as you would at home (fair use policy and surcharges may apply). Keep in mind that out-of-plan rates could cost up to GBP10.24 per 100MB. For more info, visit idmobile.co.uk/roaming or dial +447482227777 free from your iD phone. Enjoy your trip!

I notice the ID info within the app for roaming mentions call and texts but not data. The message above does include data though and there's no Add On for International data. Hence everything suggests it should work but apps do not work and an Speedtest shows no data is received or sent.

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Have you tried a NETWORK RESET, @Schrodingerscat?

Userlevel 1

Thanks but No. That looks a bit drastic and I seem to be getting some data getting through from time to time, just too sporadic to give a speed measurement. What speed should be available and does it make a difference which carrier I connect to?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Schrodingerscat 

If specifically data isn’t working while roaming I’d recommend the same as @andewhite above to try a network settings reset.

Speeds aren’t guaranteed on our UK network or our partnered roaming networks, the carriers you can connect to depend on where you’re roaming, in Belgium we’d recommend Base and Orange.

It may also be worth trying to manually connect to these networks.

Tom

Userlevel 1

It seems unlikely that that will work and you have not been able to suggest why.  

I tried manually connecting to all the networks available with Base being the auto selected one.  It seems more likey to me that it just doesn’t work due to some commercial issue.  

It’s amazing that iD Mobile themselves don’t know / care but then they are cheap.  

I do have a number now to ring up tech support who have been looking into this and what compensation to offer for breach of contract.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Schrodingerscat 

Okay, if you don’t wish to attempt a network settings reset, that’s up to you.

I wouldn’t be able to advise much else unless that’s been tried.

Tom