Solved

EU Roaming Charges on Cruise

• 28 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Why have I been charged for Roaming whilst I visited Tenerife, Madeira, Lanzarote & Gran Canaria  during a cruise? They are all within the 50 named areas that I’ve received numerous texts on confirming it should be as at Home. I have now reached my spend cap but have 40gb of unused data on my account?? 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 28 February 2023, 11:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Are you sure you weren’t connected via the expensive ship wifi? [It’s free occasionally].

Or you may well have been outside the local ISP’s range when afloat.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Why have I been charged for Roaming whilst I visited Tenerife, Madeira, Lanzarote & Gran Canaria  during a cruise? They are all within the 50 named areas that I’ve received numerous texts on confirming it should be as at Home. I have now reached my spend cap but have 40gb of unused data on my account?? 

You were probably using the cruise liner’s mobile network much of the time, not a land based network.

Roaming at sea is very expensive - iD’s at sea roaming charges are:

Hi Ande thanks for that. Never knew that was such a thing. My ignorant assumption was that once out of range of a land based signal that was the end of it until we got back to shore again.  I’ve never seen these charge rates before. 
The auto network system must have switched to it when out at sea. That said it never worked on my phone at any time out to sea. The ships wifi was expensive so we didn’t bother with it and just used it for the onboard app. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess cruise operators and mobile network operators see this as a great opportunity to fleece a captive audience - either via paid for Wi-Fi, or expensive roaming rates.

Userlevel 3

Hey there Paul, thank you for contacting us via our Community page and bringing this to our attention.

I can see from the comments that @andewhite has already responded to your query and is absolutely right about the maritime/sea network charges, we apologise for that and we’d always recommend turning your data off when out at sea just in-case you do connect to this network as it can incur large charges, as you’re now aware. So we would definitely advise doing so in the future.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with Paul, and we’ll be more than happy to help.

Thank you @andewhite for answering and it’s great to meet you :) 

Best regards,

Tyler

Why iD Mobile?