• 50 replies
How to prepare your phone for a trip abroad

Show first post

50 replies

Userlevel 1
Also when I go to SIM status i get the following

Userlevel 1
Hey @Mohammed

Thanks for getting back to me but to be honest theres only so many times I can try reseting my APN settings before I go crazy. I have tried every single possible combination of resetting APNS, creating new ones, turning off my phone and taking out the sim card that can possibly be imagined!

Also on my phone - Samsung Galaxy A5, Oreo 8.0.0, Samsung experience 9.0 - you can't edit or delete the default APNs - in my case iD internet and 3 - only reset to default and then you get given the choice to choose between them (I've been choosing iD but I've also tried 3 a few times as well just because nothing else has worked)

Is there some way I can get more specific help otherwise I will have to leave iD as it has effectively made most of my phones applications useless as soon as I'm anywhere without wifi
Userlevel 1
Have solved the problem - well found a workaround, under General Management/Reset there is an option to reset network settings - this fixed my problem, hopefully others might be able to use this to fix there problems to.

Obviously it has wiped all my saved wifi passwords so it should be used as a last resort.

I would still like to know what the actual problem was...
Hi,

I am currently on holiday in Bulgaria and I can't use my data here, but my calls and texts are fine.

I've turned on roaming from the app and on my phone but I still can't use my data.

I'm using an iPhone 6s.

There are no profiles installed on my phone, and there are no settings to change the APN or to view mobile data options.

I've set my mobile network manually, choosing Vivacom BG as it is the strongest network. The other two available networks are Telenor BG and Mtel.

Hi @mkeshefkhan,

From your screenshot, everything does look to be in order. When in Bulgaria, you can use either the Vivacom network or Telenor in order to use our services.

What you can try is a network settings reset, which will force your phone to redownload any relevant network settings. If you head to Settings, Reset and then Reset Network Settings, this will start the process. Please note, this will not remove any data and will only remove any saved WiFi networks.

Let us know how you get on.

Ryan

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have reset my network settings but still no luck in being able to use my data.

On other networks I have the option to change my APN settings through “Mobile Network Settings” - an option that isn’t available when I am using my iD sim.

Any other solutions?

Thanks, Mohammad
Hi, if you've used your phone with any other network SIM, there can sometimes be profiles stored with cause an issue.
If you've already checked or deleted any please try restarting the phone with no SIM and then reinserting the SIM.

You may also be able to try Telenor so see if this makes any difference.
-Phil

I have checked and I have no profiles installed at all on my phone.

When using another SIM, I have an option for 'Mobile Data Network' settings, where I can change APN settings, but when I use my iD SIM, I don't have that option.

^ Using my iD SIM

^ Using any other SIM

I have also restarted my phone without my iD SIM and reinserted it, but nothing has changed.
Hello @mkeshefkhan,

Can you try using the other SIM to add the above APN settings and select these, then switch back to your iD SIM to see if this works?

Mohammed

I have tried this and I still can't use my data. It seems like it's not only me who is facing the same problem - a few other iPhone users can't use their data either, be it abroad or in the UK.
Userlevel 4
Ooh this is really good information, I'm going on holiday to Portugal with my son in the summer holidays, so I'm going to save this link so I can ready my phone for all of the Insta-pics while we're away!

Rebecca
Userlevel 1
On my phone I went to settings/more/mobile networks/access point names.
annoyed that I lost service for a week or two but now back operating again. I will have to review how I feel about continuing with this company after I have calmed down!
My roaming data stopped working in Spain yesterday.
Roaming is switched on in my app, online and on my handset.
APN settings correct on my samsung s6.
Its been working for a week and i have loads of data left you use.
Any idea why my my phone data stopped working yesterday afternoon?
SMS sending fine.
Theres a tiny R above the mobile connection icon - guessing this means 'roaming'
I'm in Paris and have no phone service or data. This had happened before, so before I left I set up a new APN as described above. No joy. Roaming and mobile data are enabled, but I don't even have a phone signal, let alone 4G.

I've deleted the APN and added it again, turned the phone off and back on, turned roaming and data off and back on but to no avail. I'm on a Motorola G4. Anything else you can advise?
Hi Ryan,

My phone is not connected to any French network. When I try to manually select a network it just searches forever. The triangle showing strength of signal is completely blank.

I have had a restaurant email to say they have cancelled my reservation for this evening because they couldn't contact me by phone to confirm I was coming. So this is now more than merely inconvenient.

Kim
So... thanks for all your help. I've just switched to another supplier.

Hi, I’m in Spain and roaming is not working. I’m on an iphone 13 with the latest iOS, and can’t access the APN, it is simply not on the menu, Apple support says that the carrier might have deactivated it. 
I have manually selected Yoigo and Movistar and have turned the phone off and on several times, have turned data roaming on and off, and have activated and deactivated roaming in the iD app. Any ideas of what to do next?

Thanks,

Carolina

Why isn't Switzerland included in the 50 EU/EEA countries that we can roam in with no extra charge? Switzerland is a member of the EEA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mimesis,

The APN settings should be available. 

From the screenshot that you have sent can you please select Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

You should then be able to see your APN settings and change them.

Kash

No, I don’t have that option available. I was in Spain for 5 days and had zero possibility to roam. I will appreciate more help on this issue as I will be travelling again soon.

thanks.

Hi,

I activated my iD SIM today (on a Samsung Galaxy S7) and seem to be having the same problem as many have here in terms of using mobile data abroad (currently in the Czech Republic).

I have tried all of the suggested fixes I can see, including:

1. Ensuring data roaming is enabled, both on my phone and in my iD account. 
  2. Deleting all saved APN settings, then adding the new APN settings detailed here both manually and via the automated service.
  3. Manually connecting to all other local networks.
  4. Resetting my network settings under General Management → Reset.

None of these fixes have worked - do you advise anything else?

Please let me know if it would be useful to see screenshots.

Thanks,

Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Mimesis 

In some cases, APN settings may not be shown on your device.

I do have a method that seems to work for manually accesing the APNs.

Please try connecting the phone to WiFi and then open Safari and head to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

(this website allows you to manually update APNs where the APN settings can’t automatically be updated or done via the phone settings).

Tap Create APN (on the website)
Change the Country to UK
Find iD in the list
Scroll down and tap Create APN
Tap  Allow on the pop-up then Install in the top right corner.

Then restart and make sure Data Roaming is turned on and test.

Mohammed

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @samwilson387, it sounds like you may have activated the SIM while abroad, is that right? The SIM needs to be activated in the UK first before it can be used overseas. When you get back to the UK, make a 1 minute voice call and you should be all sorted for next time you go away.

Thank you,

Rory

Hi @Rory 

Thanks for getting back to me.

You’re right I did activate it abroad. I’ll give it a try when I’m back in the UK and hopefully that will solve it.

Thanks,

Sam

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Why isn't Switzerland included in the 50 EU/EEA countries that we can roam in with no extra charge? Switzerland is a member of the EEA.

Hi @Martin Sadler,

Switzerland is not part of the EEA I'm afraid and as such, Switzerland has not adopted the European roaming regulations, so free roaming in their country does not apply which is unfortunate for many holiday makers and business visitors alike.

Ryan

Hi, can we still roam in the 50 countries listed, now that Brexit has occurred?

Thanks 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Sjagpal86, yep, we haven’t made any changes to our roaming arrangements, so you can still roam like you’re at home in those countries without charge :)

Thank you,

Rory

Moshe Strugano (Attorney - Moshe Strugano and Co Law firm) says, its important to enable roaming as well as keep your phone updated. Also don’t use any fake and banned apps.

Why iD Mobile?