Solved

Roaming on AT&T in USA

• 16 December 2022
  • 4 replies

I live in the UK and have the £5.00 monthly PAYG contract. I am presently in New Jersey USA and can make calls and send messages using my Samsung Galaxy S8  on WhatsApp with Wi-Fi but when I try to send a message, call or use mobile data eg google when I am outside of Wi-Fi there is no connection. I have roaming turned on. The local network is AT&T. I have had no problems traveling in Spain or the Canary Islands. 
Any help resolving this would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Kash 18 December 2022, 18:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jonathan Taylor,

Welcome to the Community!

When roaming in the USA you would be charged for out of allowance usage.

You can check roaming charges via the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

You would need to top up so that you can use the services and also ensure that roaming is enabled on the iD Mobile account and on your handset.

Whilst you are in USA you’ll need to connect to AT&T or T-Mobile. Just to note though roaming can get expensive.

If you have issues after topping up, please let us know.

Kash

1. Hi Thanks for the answer. So how do I top up? Is that buying add ones  eg Data add-ons and or voice-add-ons. I only want to be able to send a text message and make a short call. 
    I still have 2GB of data on my monthly allowance and 500 mins if text and somewhat confused why I can’t use that first. 

Hi I also would need my phone to order and Uber for example. How to I calculate how much that would cost and would I need to top up to do this as well. Thanks for any help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Jonathan Taylor,

You can find the Roaming rates for USA here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

I’ve included a snip below. 

As you’re on a PAYG plan, the PAYG rates apply. If you’re on a Pay-monthly/SIM only contract, the Pay monthly ones will apply.

In this case no diffference in rates.

Add-ons do not work on PAYG.

You would either:

Top up credit via the app/account to use at the rates of 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB of data (in UK) or the roaming rates in the table below.

Or

Purchase a bundle which you can use in the UK or any inclusive Roaming destination. (USA is not inclusive).

Assuming you are on PAYG, you would need to top-up to use roaming in USA and the rates can be found below.

If you are on Pay monthly, simply increase your spend cap to allow the charges.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?