Question

Tethering laptop to phone's internet connection while roaming

Userlevel 1

I am in France and have successfully initiated roaming on my android phone by creating a new APN as suggested by iD. I am trying to tether my phone to my laptop, to use the phone’s roaming connection as a WiFi hotspot. 

The phone is getting the internet, the laptop is connected to it via WiFi, but the laptop is not getting the Internet.

I have always been able to make this connection to the internet in the UK, the only change here is the roaming (using, of course the new APN created to facilitate roaming).  

Dave

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @daveross,

Are you using the iD APN settings?

If so, this is what’s required for roaming.

For Tethering, you need to also turn on Tethering in the device and this should work.

Have you got a screenshot of the APNs you’re using?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

As I mentioned, the roaming is working, and my phone has the tethering (hotspot) option on. If I were in the UK, the tethering would work, just not here in France.

This is the APN that I have set up to get the roaming to work:

Page 1

Page 2

Last shot is Page 3

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

While iD Mobile allows tethering devices in the UK, perhaps the iD Mobile roaming partners, in France, do not.

Not all mobile network operators permit tethering.

🍀

Userlevel 1

How do I find out which countries allow tethering on Three’s roaming partners?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The iD Mobile roaming partners in France are: Orange, Free Mobile, and BYTEL (or BOUYGTEL).

Userlevel 1

Thanks, andewhite. I’ve tried connecting with the other two networks, but they seem to produce the same results.

Who are the Three partners in the Netherlands (my next stop)?

Dave 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry, I don’t know who Three UK have partnered with for roaming in the Netherlands.

Userlevel 1

From ChatGPT:

Most mobile phone networks in France allow tethering, but the specific terms and conditions may vary depending on the network and the type of plan you have.

Here is a list of some of the major mobile phone networks in France and their policies on tethering:

• Orange: Tethering is allowed on all plans except for some prepaid plans that specifically exclude it.
  • SFR: Tethering is allowed on all plans.
  • Bouygues Telecom: Tethering is allowed on all plans.
  • Free Mobile: Tethering is allowed on all plans.

Also, EU regulations require carriers to provide “roam like home” service. So, the tethering should be available in France. Why is Three not making this possible? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’d suspect tethering rules apply for local use - you don’t have a plan with any of the mobile networks in France, unless you’ve purchased a local SIM card.

The UK isn’t an EU member state, so I’m not sure EU regulations would apply to UK mobile network operators @daveross

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @daveross,

It sounds like you may not be able to use tethering/hotspot whilst in France.

Have you tried to tether to any other device?

It may be an issue with speeds if it is connecting but not loading.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?