Skip to main content

I recently purchased an ID sim card, 30GB esim, because my data where i live through Sky was shockingly bad. There are a couple of 3 masts not far away on the development I live on so I thought I would get a good speed. When I was testing after installing the esim I was getting great speeds. I switched off my home wifi so I was using the ID data and testing through the iphone Okla speedtest app.

being happy with the speeds I decided to fully switch over so I ported my number from Sky to ID, this happened yesterday and process was smooth enough from what I can tell, all done before midday on the day selected.

I have noticed however that if I try to perform a speedtest using the app now it doesn’t connect, just errors saying it can’t reach Speedtest. Data does seem to be working ok, if I use a speedtest through the chrome browser I get results, apps seem to work (sport apps, youtube, etc), everything seems to stream and work but I can’t verify my speeds using the ID mobile sim.

I have restarted the phone and closed and re-opened the app. Why does the speedtest app not work though? It’s really annoying. I want to ensure speeds don’t lag

Is your handset using some custom DNS settings, @Phil Branach

Have you tried using the https://speed.cloudflare.com/ online speed test? 

No, nothing special set up for that. I simply turned off wifi on the phone so I can test using mobile data. No VPN enabled. When I had both sims installed (Sky and ID) this seemed to work ok on the app. But when the number was ported from Sky over to ID and I have disabled the Sky sim now in settings the speedtest app doesn’t work.

Doing a speed test through browser works, Measurement Lab ok, even google fiber which shows it uses speedtest from okla works, cloudflare works. Why woudl the native app not work? It’s really bizarre

A question for Okla perhaps, @Phil Branach?

Have you tried reinstalling the Okla app?

Don’t really understand why I would need to re-install the app as I used this with phone and wifi without issues before. But I removed and re-downloaded it and it does seem to have fixed the issue. Very bizarre. Maybe the app version had a glitch and hadn’t updated, who knows, it still worked when I used wifi. But hey, Thanks for the suggestion @andewhite