6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone

• 29 September 2022
  • 99 replies
6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone
Userlevel 8
Badge

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

1.Failing battery and random shutdowns 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

2.You can’t update your operating system 

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

3.Your touchscreen is slow to respond 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

4.Your screen or chassis is heavily damaged 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

5.Your phone takes poor quality photos and videos 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

6.You’ve run out of storage space and memory 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Decided that an upgrade is right for you? Check if you can upgrade now.

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

Consider trading in your old device 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Our trade-in service is powered by Currys. See how much your device is worth. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

The Giveaway is now closed for entries! 

99 replies

iPhone 6, love my payment plan I know where I am each month and I love the fact my phone links to my iPad so no matter where I am or what using it knows where I was up too 

Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max, best feature is the camera, the quality of the photos is outstanding. I use the phone a lot so the battery lasts about a day before needing a recharge. 😎

Userlevel 2

Pixel 6a. Love the camera. 

I’m happy with my iPhone 8 (bought second hand). I had to upgrade from a 6 because updates would no longer work. I find Apple products easy to use, but I’m disappointed that there don’t seem to be any plans to introduce a flip-style phone. I had a Motorola flip years ago - that was my favourite pre-smart phone. 

I am using the Samsung Galaxy S20, big fans of the Samsung phones. The S20 was good value at the time and a great phone. Will look at upgrading when the S23 becomes available.

Pixel 6... just because 

I’m on my second CAT phone I did have a C30 for nearly 10 years and now have a CAT 42S (£220) very tough with excellent battery life and does everything I want and need. I view reliability over fashion and a 12mgp camera is enough x.

Google Pixel 4a, my first smartphone even though I’m retired. I have an android tablet a PC and mirrorless camera and lenses though. The phone is slim, small and most up to date given it’s a Google one. I mainly got it to join the family on Whatsapp which i also now can use on my linked Windows 11 PC. Fun!

Absolutely love my phine and the network is amazing loved that i saved money with the id network  😍 

Userlevel 2

I’m using the Samsung Galaxy A41. I love the cameras on it. I like most things on it apart from that little man in the bottom right hand corner that magnifies things. I’m always knocking it. Drives me mad!

Userlevel 1

My phone is a Nokia 8 , being my first Nokia i was apprehensive but it is affordable and easy to use , It updates regularly so despite new phones coming out all the time it doesn’t seem outdated 

Userlevel 1

iPhone 11. It’s been a great phone. Takes great photos at gigs. 

Userlevel 2

Moto G62 - loving the 5g speeds.

Userlevel 1

I love my oppo it is simple and reliable 

I am currently using the Samsung S10 which I bought second-hand around 3 years ago. 

I don’t know how much the previous owner used this ‘phone.  About 18 months ago the battery hardly held a 6 hour charge at all.  I decided to replace the battery rather than the whole ‘phone.  I ordered a new battery and watched a YouTube clip on how to change the battery.  What took around 5 minutes on the Youtube clip took me around 2 hours.  The majority of the time was spent on opening the phone.  After that, changing the battery was easy. 

The battery lasts about 2 - 3 days on 1 full charge, depending on usage.  I am happy with that.  I am not a heavy user and because of this I am quite happy with the functions of this phone. The camera is adequate for my needs.  I cannot make comparisons to other ‘phone cameras. 

Overall, the Samsung S10 fulfills all of my needs and I currently have no intentions of changing it.

Userlevel 1

I have a Motorola Edge 20, not a brand I was considering until I read about its screen size, amazing resolution and great processing power for a mid-range price phone. I am absolutely delighted with it and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

I am currently using the iPhone 13, as you may know IOS 16 came out not too long ago and I absolutely love the “lift subject from background feature”. Its quick and fun to use. I also love the design of the iPhone 13, looks good and slick. (Not my image)

Userlevel 1

I have an old iPhone 7, but the best thing is my very very inexpensive id contract.

Userlevel 1

I like my OPPO Find X2 Lite. It’s very quick and has lots of storage capacity

Userlevel 1

Reading your reviews, I envy everyone. And I have nothing to boast of. When I was buying my HUAWEI 30 phone 1 year ago - I thought it was an advanced Chinese model. But I got it wrong. If the Internet is turned on on the phone, then the battery sits down very quickly. The camera is generally some kind of ancient, very weak. After 7 months of operation, the phone began to constantly bugger, despite the fact that the memory is very large and the disk is also large. In general, you have understood what I mean. You just need another device.😂

I love the Motorola phones where you can turn on the light or activate the camera with just a shake of the phone. 

Pixel 4A - love the whole package, battery life, camera and other features.

Best of all was the ID mobile deal which tempted me back onto a contract for the first time in years.

Userlevel 1

Samsung galaxy s20, i like the size of the screen and the amount of storage it has.

IPHONE 12 , the phone is always quick to respond 

Oppo find X3 neo bargain phone top spec not many months ago spot on camera battery lasts forever super fast charger takes only a few minutes to charge changed to I'd as data rolls over great for watching you tube and Netflix proper decent phone with tons of features many of which I am still to discover beautifully made and fast as sonic well impressed why have I not discovered oppo earlier!!!

Why iD Mobile?