6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone

• 29 September 2022
  • 99 replies
6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone
Userlevel 8
Badge

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

1.Failing battery and random shutdowns 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

2.You can’t update your operating system 

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

3.Your touchscreen is slow to respond 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

4.Your screen or chassis is heavily damaged 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

5.Your phone takes poor quality photos and videos 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

6.You’ve run out of storage space and memory 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Decided that an upgrade is right for you? Check if you can upgrade now.

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

Consider trading in your old device 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Our trade-in service is powered by Currys. See how much your device is worth. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

The Giveaway is now closed for entries! 

99 replies

I love this network we saved £139 on up front fee and save £21 a month with ID!

Userlevel 1

Pixel 6, love the magic eraser. No more being photobombed!

Moto G9 power love the battery life.

I did love my Blackview 5500 rugged phone because it was cheap. But done a good job uptil now. I need a new one urgently. So the £100 voucher would go towards a nice shiny new one hopefully.

Samsung A52. Still responsive as day one, lots of storage,  battery life is good and connectivity is flawless. I always used to have motorola phones and was sceptical about the amount of preinstalled apps and samsungisation there would be but I would definitely get another Samsung when its time to change. 

Userlevel 1

Using the Google pixel 6 pro, battery life is great , the camera is amazing, the basic editing software is fantastic, had someone send me a picture off of their iPhone so I could blur the background, they were well impressed 

Userlevel 1

Ive been with ID for over 3 years - service is great and they have been really helpful with any issues. The news sheets from ID community are so useful. The latest one addressed trading in phones. I still have my Galaxy A10 which has been 100% reliable. I've been under pressure to trade it in from friends, but thanks to the article, I found that trade in value from Currys is only £20, and so I've decided to stick with it. Thanks to ID mobile for a good nonbiased article.

Honor View10 - Ready for an upgrade I think - the £100 would certainly help!

Userlevel 1

ID Mobile is the greatest mobile of all mobiles. I love my Iphone and love the camera on it. I enjoy taking photos of myself wearing women’s clothes and ID Mobile nipple tassels. 

Userlevel 1

Hi, I've got a Samsung A12. I like the size, fits my palm just right. Good screen, clear and bright. Can't fault the camera, so very happy with my A12

Ron

Userlevel 3

I love my Google pixel, it's an old one, 3a XL, but it has a brilliant camera and it's functionality is awesome. Definitely keen to stick with the pixel when this needs an upgrade. 

Userlevel 1

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

1.Failing battery and random shutdowns 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

2.You can’t update your operating system 

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

3.Your touchscreen is slow to respond 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

4.Your screen or chassis is heavily damaged 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

5.Your phone takes poor quality photos and videos 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

6.You’ve run out of storage space and memory 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Decided that an upgrade is right for you? Check if you can upgrade now.

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

Consider trading in your old device 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Our trade-in service is powered by Currys. See how much your device is worth. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

Google pixel 6 pro amazing phone camera is amazing at night time and zoom love it I recommend to anyone

pixel3, still going strong! 

I've recently gone sim only, because there aren't any phones out there with anything particularly upgraded much, if at all beyond my Oppo X3 Find pro. I love the cameras, it charges fast AND lasts well too, I wouldn't be without the wireless charging or ip rating after my 3 year old spillages. I think my wife's favorite feature is the reverse charging 😂

Really happy with my Moto G30. Great battery life and a great camera - I can’t understand why people spend £800 on a phone when you can get one this good for under £200!

Userlevel 1

I have a Google Pixel 6. I love the camera, managed to take some great photos when it is dark. Compared them to the ones my partner could take and mine were miles better.

Userlevel 1

I’m using the iPhone 11 and must say that it is a very good quality phone, the battery life is still at 99% and love the colours that it comes in. I have the green colour and love the shade of it. The phone itself is exactly like the new iPhones that have released and has so many amazing features to it. This is the best phone I have had so far!

Hi I have up graded to an iPhone 11 & although the screen is not the 6.4 l20sony mobile the iPhone 11 sure makes up for the 6.1screen it has as I do not need to log into my apps anymore the iPhone facial recognition does this for me every time & makes my life so much easier as no fuss needing to remember my passwords all of the time.I would love to accessorise my new iPhone with a brand new phone cover etc & EarPods to go with would be absolutely fantastic.I would never be without my iPhone now that I have this.👍✅😊

Great budget phone and easy to use 

Really like my Galaxy A12.   Just right for an oldie like me.   Does everything I want.   

Userlevel 1

I like my iPhone se. Compact, responsive screen and good camera. 

Userlevel 1

S21 Ultra, Great camera with a fantastic 10x Optical zoom, battery could be better but there are ways to make it last the whole day by putting it on offline mode when not in use or if you just want to use its camera. 

Samsung S9. I just love it, size, usability and battery life. My next one will be a Samsung flip for sure.

Galaxy Note Ultra20 5G

(guys stop with expensive contracts buy the phone outright and get ID mobile sim)

I'm on the road a lot so love the big screen on my note to watch TV the pen is great for getting tasks done, creating art on all levels from pen up! You can even put your phone at distance and take photos with a click of the pen and it can also be used as a wand.

The battery is awesome still after two years of heavy use, multi tasking, clipping, editing are a breeze and the sound from the phone is of Dolby quality it really is that good.

The note has blown me away in everyway ive always had samsung but can see me sticking with the note for years to come :)

iPhone 6se fair priced I phone it has lasted well i have been very please with it although it maybe time to replace.

Why iD Mobile?