6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone

• 29 September 2022
  • 99 replies
6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone
Userlevel 8
Badge

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

1.Failing battery and random shutdowns 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

2.You can’t update your operating system 

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

3.Your touchscreen is slow to respond 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

4.Your screen or chassis is heavily damaged 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

5.Your phone takes poor quality photos and videos 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

6.You’ve run out of storage space and memory 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Decided that an upgrade is right for you? Check if you can upgrade now.

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

Consider trading in your old device 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Our trade-in service is powered by Currys. See how much your device is worth. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

The Giveaway is now closed for entries! 

99 replies

I use iPhone 11 and what I love about the phone are the Battery and performance.

I like my trusty Sansung Galaxy S9. It's the first phone I've had that will generally last a whole day even with heavy use and has plenty of storage space.

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

I use a Apple 🍏 iPhone SX Max. I personally love the large screen ! Easier to use for me. 🤓 Although it’s sometimes slightly to large for my coat pocket, thus I remove the  protective back cover sometimes . The battery sadly is not great! However I use it on maximum  brightness etc and all day long usually! Happy to plug in or use a power bank if needed. Rarely lets me down and with my ID network I’m very happy! My grandchildren watch Netflix peppa pig 🐷 on it whilst in the car or super market ! So that’s perfect also ! I even use as a mini tv whilst relaxing in the bath! Perfect with the larger screen ! Thanks ID mobile would be amazing to win a curry’s voucher! 

Got an Iphone 11 almost 2 years ago for the Daughter and was so impressed with the network compared to o2 in my area i upgraded to a Google Pixel Pro for myself 12 months later. Pixel Pro just seems to be getting better and better and although the Iphone 11 is still great i think the daughter is looking for an upgrade! 

Userlevel 1

samsung galaxy A21s, love all samsungs, the screen never breaks!

Userlevel 1

Samsung Galaxy S20FE… discontinued old stock but still a great phone for the same price as the A53.  Screen is so much better, but I dislike the lack of micro SD card when using both SIM slots and also ( like the A50 I had before) sealed-in battery. If the battery pack was easily replaceable, I’d probably have just done that with the A50. Seems crazy that we now have to bin an otherwise good phone just because the battery pack loses so much of its capacity in 3 years.  Doesn’t inspire me with much confidence when considering a electric car either

Userlevel 3
Badge

Using Samsung S8 -  no need for any upgrades yet

Nokia - great phone love that it is easy to use but is now ready for replacing pretty please 😁

A one Plus 8, great camera and battery life

Userlevel 1

Ive got the samsung galaxy a52 5g and honestly i love the camera, I love taking photos on days out and they look fantastic and so far I've not had to worry about lack of space despite taking a tonne of pics.

Userlevel 1

I have an IPhone 12 currently, in the lilac edition! Which I think is my favourite thing about it. The software of most new phones are good now but what makes mine so fun to have is the fact it’s such a lovely purple! I used to have the IPhone Red, and I think my next one will be the new Green colour they have available! No more boring phone colours over here 😂☺️

Userlevel 1

Ye olde IPhone 6 SE still going strong. Ok battery and no faults! 

Userlevel 1

Giveaway Time:

Good luck!

Samsung A71 Love the camera battery lasts well keeps me on task 

Userlevel 1

I have a Samsung A72 has a great camera, battery life is good and it helps me keep appointments doesnt let me forget things has daily reminders for the things that matter. 

Userlevel 1

I'm  70 yr old guy, so my phone is just general use. I have a Samsung A6, ok getting on a bit, but, and the main thing, it gas never let me down. It takes decent pics, I get good coverage, easy to use. I love Samsung, all of my tech: telly audio, laptop, phone all Samsung. I'd rather pay for the reliability,  and Samsung gives me that. Do I need to pay the extra for a certain named item. The answer, a definite NO.  Although my younger sis (60), says I need to update, so I suppose I have to look what's on the Samsung market.

iPhone 11. The improved battery life is very helpful for me getting me through much more of the day

I’ve got an iPhone 8 and I’m most impressed by the battery life of it.

Giveaway Time:

Good luck!

I have a Alcatel 3v which has been just adequate for my needs so far, however, I’d love a phone with ease of use together with more horizons to try!

Userlevel 1

My Google Pixel 6 - the camera is the best one I've ever had, the quality of the pictures are outstanding.

Userlevel 3

Moto E5 Play - great budget phone that does what I need it to at a cost that I can afford.

Userlevel 1

I've been a Samsung galaxy girl for so long now I can't remember how many I've had now but I think I had the Samsung galaxy s4 maybe I know that I've been with ID mobile for around 8 yrs I think and every phone I've had with you has been a Samsung galaxy. I have the s22+ now I made a mistake when ordering I actually wanted the s22 ultra but this phone is really good. I love how fast it is, the battery life and how crystal clear the screen is. There really is so many features I love. Nothing compares for me and when I use someone else's phone I find it so strange especially an iPhone. I love id mobile its an amazing company to have a phone with. 

I have a pixel 3a, it has an amazing camera, has lasted nearly three years and still going strong, probably thanks to the unicorn beetle case x

I have the new Reno 8 Pro, I liked the camera set on my husbands x3 find pro which is why I chose the reno. I have to say for the money it is unbeatable I had only had Samsungs for 16 years and this charges faster, holds its charge longer and takes better pictures. We're very pleased with oppo in our household. 

Userlevel 1

I have the Motorola Edge 20. Love the camera and the battery life and the easy shortcuts to things such as Battery saver and DND.

My find X5 lite has fantastic battery life coupled with Super fast charging which on very rare occasions comes in very useful too. Shame it hasn't had any updates yet though! 

Why iD Mobile?