Boost Your Mood This Blue Monday

Boost Your Mood This Blue Monday
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

January often marks a time of new beginnings and goal-setting for the year ahead. However, it can also bring a sense of melancholy for many. The festive cheer and close family gatherings of the holiday season give way to a quieter, more reflective period. 

Despite this, there are several ways to infuse your days with positivity. We have some great tips to help brighten your mood.

What is Blue Monday?

'Blue Monday' started in 2005 as part of an ad by a travel company. They said they figured out the saddest day of the year using things like weather, how long until the next holiday, and how long since people have been paid. But the expert who helped come up with this idea later said we should think about happy things instead, especially when making new goals.

Now, people use Blue Monday as a reminder to take care of themselves. Here are some fun things to try:

Get moving.

Exercise is a great way to feel good. It doesn't have to be boring; you can ride a bike in the park, go for a run, or play a game like football with friends. This can make you feel better, get you outside, and let you hang out with others.

Watch a Happy Movie or TV Show

Happy movies or TV shows can lift your spirits. Watching a movie with a good ending or a funny TV show, even if you've seen it before, can make you feel better. Try watching something like “The Pursuit of Happyness”, “The Sound of Music”, "Forrest Gump," or a movie with Adam Sandler. Watch with family or friends for more fun.

Go shopping for yourself

January is a good time to buy something special for yourself, especially with the sales. Maybe you've been wanting a new laptop, a trip, or cool shoes. Go ahead and treat yourself!

Read a Good Book

Reading can take your mind off things, which is good for you. Whether you like stories or books that help you learn, there's a book for everyone. Find a quiet place, turn off your phone, and start reading.

Talk to family and friends

We’re talking about the people that are always rooting for you, no matter what you do or where you are, in your mind and in reality. These are the people that make you feel better just for having chatted. They may be there for Christmas and other festive moments, but they’re also there when you’re feeling blue. Pick up the phone and call them, text them or set some time for a video call. 

Ask for Help if You Need It

Sometimes, feeling sad in January is more serious. It's important to look after your mental health just like your physical health. Talking to friends and family is good, but sometimes you need extra help.

Groups like CALM and the Samaritans are there to talk to you. Asking for help is the first step to feeling better. Remember, you're not alone.

Blue Monday Giveaway

To help boost your mood this Blue Monday, we’re doing an exciting giveaway! This is where the Community comes together and in doing so, the reward just gets better! 

To enter simply tell us below what makes you happy in life. It could be anything, from family and friends to trips away at the weekend. Once you’ve entered your response, click send! And you’ll be entered into the draw. 

You have until 23:59 (GMT) 1st February to enter at which point we will tally up all the unique entries to work out which prize you could be winning. So if you want a chance to win a Samsung 4K TV let's get over 800 entries! T&C’s apply.

The lucky winner (and the final prize!) will be announced on the Community shortly after entries are closed, so make sure you come back to check if it's you!

Here’s what you could win: 

1012 replies

Spending time with my nearly 6 month old puppy Billy ♥️♥️ he is so so loving so from cuddles to walkies he makes me happy 

Going to the beach

Chocolate and wine 

Feeding the birdies in the garden!

Getting a smile out this little monkey can lighten any day, he has severe learning difficulties and his behaviour can be very challenging so a smile warms the heart!

I love my job as a teaching assistant, working mainly with 10 and 11 year olds. I help with their personal problems as well as helping them learn. I get a real buzz out of making a difference to their lives!

Getting into a bed with fresh bed linen, agood book and knowing I don’t have to set the alarm to get up early in the morning.

Getting all the diy jobs done I never found time for in summer.

Getting a great price on a great mobile phone! 😍

Userlevel 2

When sheffield wednesday manage to score a goal

Amen

Watching my 8 year old twins interact. Their bond is quite literally the most beautiful thing ive ever seen

Seeing the spring flowers, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils.

Why iD Mobile?