A better way to use WiFi calling!

• 6 October 2023
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi all!

I just joined iD Mobile with a brand new Samsung A34 5G 256GB/8GB phone on their unlimited everything package; it was an amazing deal, and so far, I am very impressed with both the mobile and iD support.

I have started this conversation because, having trawled the Internet, the most relevant question/answer I found was on this very forum about a year ago; however, the 'solution' was a workaround as opposed to a proper fix, and, as an engineer, I like to find the best possible solution to a problem.

WiFi calling, together with a solid WiFi signal linking you to a high bandwidth Internet connection, should be the most brilliant solution to a poor cellular signal at home or work, but unless you can keep it locked on when needed, chocolate teapots and fireguards come to mind 😉.

For those not familiar, by default, when you activate WiFi calling, it is in 'prefer cellular' as opposed to 'prefer WiFi' mode. What does that mean? Well, prefer cellular means that if there is even the tiniest sniff of a cellular signal, the phone will try to use that instead of routing the call over WiFi. If, like me, you live somewhere where mobile signal is terrible to non-existant in the house, that means the icon on the phone indicating that calls will/are being routed over WiFi goes on and off like a belisha beacon with changing atmospheric conditions, and call quality alternates between excellent, terrible and non-existant at random.

I am very grateful to @andewhite for providing the workaround to this in his reply to a member's question a year ago: put the phone in flight mode (kills all three radio transceivers for cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth) and then toggle WiFi and Bluetooth back on, leaving the cellular disabled; the result is that the phone cannot see any cellular signal and the WiFi calling is locked on. That means, for the first time in 6 years of living at my address, I can actually use my mobile phone at home with 100% call reliability and quality. Indeed, it also means the problem is solved at many of my work locations too, all thanks to @andewhite's workaround.

However, the reason I say 'workaround' is because there is a proper solution: on my new mobile, as with most modern phones, there is a sub-menu under the WiFi calling setting to select preference for cellular (the default) or WiFi calling; if you change the setting to prefer WiFi, the phone will always use WiFi to route the call when the phone is attached to a good WiFi network irrespective of cellular signal strength. This is the proper 'fire and forget' solution because there is no faff to enable/disable flight mode when entering/leaving work/home and the risk of forgetting and missing calls [albeit, I accept that a digital assistant can remind you to switch flight mode off when you leave the home].

Well, I hear you say, what is your problem... switch to 'prefer WiFi' mode! Well, I would love to, but... I cannot get to that sub-menu on my phone. Why? Because the Three network, which iD Mobile use as the carrier, disable it for some unknown reason. I rang Samsung because I thought there was a problem with my phone, and they told me that the visibility of those menu options are totally controlled by the carrier, and if a carrier does not support WiFi calling, I would not even see the button to toggle it on or off; they told me to contact my carrier to ask them to enable it. Incidentally, I tried a friend's SIM (which is a different carrier, not Three) in my mobile and, as if by magic, I can see the sub-menu and select 'prefer WiFi'. My friend is very grateful to me for pointing out the fix for him, but that does not help us, so...

I called iD Mobile support, and they told me to visit a Currys PC World branch (iD Mobile is owned by Currys) and ask them to sort the issue. I did so, and their mobile guru had no idea what to do, so he called iD who raised a support ticket with Three. Three came back after a few days with a robotic answer telling iD to make sure the customer had WiFi calling enabled and to check the quality of my WiFi signal... not helpful at all! ID have kindly sent another [more bluntly-worded] support ticket into Three, and I will update on that when I hear back. My company also use the Three network for our work mobiles, so in parallel, our IT team have also raised a support ticket with Three to ask for either the phone menu to be made available or, if they refuse, to change the default mode to 'prefer WiFi' their end. Again, I will report back.

Sorry for the long message, but I hope it helps some people and, at the very least, sparks some debate 🙂

P.S. I did explore using one of the WiFi calling apps which proport to 'force' the two options to prefer cellular or WiFi, and they even claim to make the WiFi calling feature available even if you have an older phone/firmware that does not support it, but I was put off because reviews gave poor feedback, and the apps themselves did not seem to come from professional/reliable developers.

20 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @gauge_boson, I suspect the network provider (carrier) has to pay to enable the option you’re looking for, and perhaps iD aren’t prepared to do so being a no-frills budget operation. 

This option exists in Android if you’re using the EE mobile network, so it’s clearly possible to do so.

Userlevel 2

Hi @andewhite 

Yes, it was an EE SIM my friend let me try in my phone which did indeed unlock the extra menu.

It will be interesting to see what Three come back with; I did wonder if routing through WiFi versus the cellular network incurred extra cost for Three, and maybe that is the reason they lock users out of the option and default it to prefer cellular and only use WiFi as a last resort. That said, your great workaround to turn off the cellular transceiver completely achieves the same thing, so maybe they hope that most people do not cotton on 😂. That said, I have been spreading the word about the workaround to friends and colleagues who have all said it is a godsend to be able to reliably use their mobile at home. Having successfully deployed your workaround myself to use my mobile at home, I have finally ended my VoIP contract with sipgate this week; having gone full-fibre, VoIP was the only way to get a stable 'landline', but it was costing me £15 per month!

I might experiment with one of the free apps that claim to unlock the options, but I have a feeling that an unpleasant side effect of using them is having to put up with pop-up adverts.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @gauge_boson, the Bixby assistant might be able to remind you to turn off flight mode when you leave your home, or other locations that require WiFi Calling to be used in flight mode.  

I’ve got an iPhone, and although the option to prefer WiFi Calling doesn’t seem to exist in iOS, it seems iOS makes a better job of determining whether to route voice calls by using WiFi Calling or via a mobile network connection, in locations with marginal mobile reception. 

The main reason I use an iPhone is because WiFi Calling wasn’t widely supported on Android, by UK service providers, back in 2017 when I moved to a mobile not-spot. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @andewhite 

Yes, absolutely, you can ask Bixby, and other assistants I believe, to remind you to do something when you leave from or arrive at given locations; I guess it its usefulness would depend on the detection radius as to whether it would remind me before I drove away in my car, but a great idea nevertheless.

My next door neighbour has a new iPhone on Three, and even with WiFi calling enabled, she said it was unusable in her house until I passed on your flight mode tip.

Userlevel 2

H again @andewhite 

I set Alexa up to remind me to cancel or set flight mode on leaving or returning home, but on leaving the house WiFi drops, and Alexa does not work without an Internet connection so no reminder; Bixby also needs an Internet connection, so once you are out of range of the WiFi, it cannot remind you to turn off flight mode either.

Nice idea though.

Userlevel 2

Hi again all

As promised, herewith the update on my second support ticket through iD Mobile to Three.

The iD Mobile customer support operator read Three’s second response to me; it said that there was obviously a fault with the phone and that WiFi calling should work perfectly… arghhhhh!!! Three are so condescending, and do not appear to understand a simple question.

The iD Mobile operator suggested that I email documents@idmobile.co.uk quoting my ticket number with screenshots. I sent them the post from this forum from a year ago with @andewhite’s useful workaround on https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/calls-preference-greyed-out-android-13-wifi-calling-49199 which had a nice screenshot of a two-SIM example showing the sub-menu working with an EE SIM:

I also sent them a link to my post and, finally, a link to a post on Three’s own community forum https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Devices/Why-is-Three-disabling-wifi-calling-preference-menus/td-p/6785/page/2

I do hope we get a better answer out of Three this time 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @gauge_boson,

Welcome to the Community!

We hope that you can get some further information from the team.

If you require any assistance from us here, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 2

Hi @Kash 

Thank you for the welcome 😊

I got an email from support that seemed to think the matter was resolved, so I will contact them later to check as clearly it is still an issue.

In the meantime, I have improved the workaround, which has actually had the additional benefit of improving battery life: I was playing with modes and routines, and I wrote a routine to automatically enable flight mode when my phone connected to my home WiFi and another to disable flight mode when disconnected; that was much more reliable than using location to determine when I was at home. The problem came with adding the step to re-enable WiFi after flight mode, because as soon as flight mode kicks in it disables WiFi, in that short time before the routine re-enables WiFi, the routine to reverse flight mode when I leave sees WiFi drop and disables flight mode. Sometimes, but not always, this ends up in an endless loop. However, I fixed it 😉…

I installed the Android Debugging Bridge (adb) onto my PC, connected my phone to it over WiFi and changed the function of the flight mode switch to leave WiFi on when enabled; it was so simple to do, and it only took a few minutes. Now my routine just enables flight mode when it detects my home WiFi and cancels it when WiFi drops with no loop... perfect! There is actually a benefit to this over the missing 'prefer wifi' in that the phone is not wasting battery searching for a weak cell signal... bonus!

While I was in adb, I found the variable that controls WiFi calling, so I forced the value to 'prefer WiFi', but as soon as the 3UK signal is picked up again the carrier automatically reinforces the 'prefer cellular' and resets the variable... boy, they really do not want us to use WiFi calling if at all possible!

I will report back if we ever get a sensible answer out of 3UK, but, in the meantime, if anyone on Android wants details of my workaround, please shout. Those on iPhone do not need the adb fix because iPhones remember that you want WiFi on when flight mode is activated, so they just need the routine. Also, if you multiple locations you want to lock WiFi calling for, you just add the list of network names to the routine... simples!

Once again, much kudos to @andewhite for pointing me at the flight mode workaround in the first place.

Userlevel 1

@gauge_boson How did you set up your routine to enable/disable flight mode via WiFi connection?

I’ve recently switched from EE to iD and the mobile pref WiFi calling is something of an unwelcome surprise! I wasn’t expecting signal in my house to be as poor as it was vs. EE’s 5G network – but hey ho! As it stands I’d much rather WiFi calling had preference over the mobile network.

I tried creating a rule through Android system settings but you can only set the device to ring/vibrate/silent. I tried through Google Assistant routines but you can only trigger via a command or location setting or similar, not via a WiFi trigger. I also tried Tasker and Automate but didn’t like the trade-offs (also found they weren’t completely reliable).

On a Pixel 8 Pro for ref.

Cheers.

Userlevel 2

Hi @ncw92 

Is your phone running Android 13, OneUI 5.1 (i.e. the latest firmware)? Under settings, I get modes and routines, and when you create routines you get options like if... then..., so you can say if WiFi connected is BTxyz123 then turn flight mode on. You get the option to list a number of WiFi names, so you can add work, friends etc. You then need another routine to say if not connected to BTxyz123 then turn flight mode off. If you're running the newest firmware and don't see those options, it may just be a Samsung thing.

Older firmware versions used Bixby modes and routines, but I don't know if you can get Bixby from the Play Store for other phone makes.

Either way, you will want to use adb to stop flight mode from toggling your WiFi off.

Userlevel 1

@gauge_boson  Ahh, I’m on Android 14 but sounds like it’s a Samsung exclusive feature through OneUI. Thanks for confirming 👍

Userlevel 1

Pixel 7 Android 14, bought from IDMobile. Having the same problem over at 

Reminding me to disable/enable cellular is a terrible workaround, especially as Android 14 now makes it a bit more difficult to do this.

IDMobile/Three need to just get with the times and enable built in features.

My suspicion is they've tried to "soft launch" WiFi calling, and some IT manager or Product Owner thought it was a good idea to disable the option. Then the budget never materialised to finish the rollout.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Blandy 

3UK are not the only carrier to disable the options, and EE is the only carrier I know of that does not; it would be interesting to know who else, but it does not help out predicament of course.

It could be that routing over WiFi [the internet] causes them additional costs for some reason; maybe bandwidth is an issue on whatever kit they need to route the traffic and therefore limit the traffic by preferring cellular. Clearly that will not help if everyone did what I do as a workaround, albeit Samsung 'routines' automate the switching of the flight mode making it a slicker process.

I did try to force the variable that stores the 'prefer WiFi/cellular' setting using the Android Debugging Bridge, but the carrier-enforced policy overrode my setting, so they are pretty darned determined for us not to use the prefer WiFi mode.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Pixel 7 Android 14, bought from IDMobile. Having the same problem over at 

IDMobile/Three need to just get with the times and enable built in features.

My suspicion is they've tried to "soft launch" WiFi calling, and some IT manager or Product Owner thought it was a good idea to disable the option. Then the budget never materialised to finish the rollout.

iD Mobile were possibly one of the first UK MVNO companies to offer a WiFi Calling service @Blandy

I switched to iD Mobile because of their WiFi Calling service, which I’ve been using since July 2018. My iD WiFi Calling service has proved reliable and certainly helped me where I live, which is a mobile network not-spot. 

iD Mobile seem a no-frills operator, so perhaps they don’t/won’t invest in providing fully featured network profiles for devices they’ve listed as approved for their network. 

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

Userlevel 2

Hi @andewhite 

As you and I have discussed before, this is an issue with the main carrier, 3UK, as opposed to the MVNOs who use 3UK such as iD Mobile (a public MVNO) or Gamma (an MVNO for business users). 3UK choose to block WiFi calling features to prefer WiFi/cellular and the MVNOs seem to have to live with that choice.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes indeed @gauge_boson, it appears Three UK can’t / won’t enable a prefer Wi-Fi Calling option for the Android settings app.

A post by a forum moderator, in the Three UK online community, around 12-months ago seems to support this conclusion.

Perhaps the IMS solution (needed for 4G Calling and WiFi Calling), which Three UK have deployed has fewer capabilities / configuration options compared to the EE IMS solution. Maybe this preference option will appear if MergeCo happens, or possibly after Three UK sunset their 3G mobile network? 

Anyway, aside from needing the WiFi Calling workaround, hope iD Mobile continues to impress.

Userlevel 1

Similar issue here, Poco F3 with ID, I had the “make calls using wifi” option but rarely worked.

I found this solution https://www.6000.co.za/tag/how-to-enable-wifi-calling-on-the-poco-f3/ which may work with other android phones.

I now have the Network Preferences option which forces wifi calling on (as well as being able to use VoLTE!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jamiek,

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for sharing this and hopefully it can help others.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @ncw92 

Is your phone running Android 13, OneUI 5.1 (i.e. the latest firmware)? Under settings, I get modes and routines, and when you create routines you get options like if... then..., so you can say if WiFi connected is BTxyz123 then turn flight mode on. You get the option to list a number of WiFi names, so you can add work, friends etc. You then need another routine to say if not connected to BTxyz123 then turn flight mode off. If you're running the newest firmware and don't see those options, it may just be a Samsung thing.

Older firmware versions used Bixby modes and routines, but I don't know if you can get Bixby from the Play Store for other phone makes.

Either way, you will want to use adb to stop flight mode from toggling your WiFi off.

Wworked Great!  Thanks😃😎👍

Hi guys and especially @gauge_boson - thanks so much for posting this info, I have exactly the same issue with my brand new Samsung A54 purchased through ID Mobile. My husband had recently bought the exact same phone through O2 (sadly that deal was no longer available for me), and I was very pleased with mine until I found that unlike his, which has the WiFi Calling Preference option enabled, mine does not, and as a result WiFi Calling basically doesn't work at our notspot house 😣. It took me quite some time trawling the internet until I found this thread explaining why - good old Three 🙄.

So the workaround of turning on flight mode with WiFi enabled works fine, especially as the latest version of Android seems to remember that I want WiFi left on 👍 - the only problem is I keep forgetting to turn flight mode off when I go out... I tried setting up routines to do this as suggested, but hit the never-ending loop issue when reconnecting to WiFi. Sadly I don't feel tech savvy enough to try the adb method - way too scary for me! So I guess I'll just have to live with it, until Three get round to upgrading or I come out of contract and change network provider. 

So... An update to the previous posts is that O2 do support the WiFi Calling preference option, not just EE. Anyone know if Vodafone does? If so it would just be Three that doesn't…

And a couple of questions - firstly does anyone think it's worth me raising this as an issue (yet again!) with ID/Three? Given the lack of an adequate response I wouldn't expect any resolution but might it do any good?

And secondly how would those if us affected by this know if Three ever do get around to upgrading their setup?

Cheers, Alison. 

Why iD Mobile?