Solved

Calls preference greyed out - Android 13 / Wifi Calling

• 8 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

At home, the signal isn’t great in the house (lots of low emissivity windows blocking everything). That’s not a problem as the wifi calling works wonderfully well.

The gripe I have is that if there’s even a little mobile signal, the phone prefers that signal to the wifi. The signal is enough to make the phone switch to it, but not enough to actually hold a call.

The preferences settings on the phone (Pixel 6 Pro, Android 13) are greyed out, so I can’t tell the phone to prefer wifi calling rather than the mobile signal.

I CAN switch plane mode on, then wifi back on - and that works, but it’s a drag to have do this every time I go from outside to inside. It’s something I would very much expect to not have to do all the time.

Is this something on the ID side, or is it an android 13 bug? I’ve already tried all the other internet fixes, and apart from the plane mode switch, I can’t get access to any meaningful setting.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance!

icon

Best answer by andewhite 8 September 2022, 15:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Put your handset into flight mode with the handset’s Wi-Fi ON.

The iD WiFi Call service should work nicely, and not be able to use the mobile data network.

Good luck.

Userlevel 1

Thanks andewhite, really appreciate the quick reply! In the post, I mention that your suggestion does work, but that I’d really like to not have to do it. Very much a quality of life issue, and not critical, but all the same…

I’m just wondering if it is an ID issue, or an Android one.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The phone’s behaviour, when using Wi-Fi Calling is down to its operating system, be it Android or iOS.

You’ve mentioned a Pixel phone - Samsung’s Bixby can remind you to turn OFF flight mode when you leave your house.

You’d like to think Google would’ve something similar in their product?

Userlevel 1

Thanks again andewhite - I’ll go submitting a little pixel/android bug somewhere. Seems silly to see the setting but for it to be greyed out. I’ll chime back if I get anywhere!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It's not an issue with the operating system, some networks restrict or hide certain features.

On my Samsung the feature to prioritize WiFi calling is not available with SMARTY (Three), but it is with EE.

Userlevel 1

Thanks WelshPaul - I’ll try on the ID end too, then :)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Not sure you’ll get much joy with iD, should you enquire about the missing settings option for Wi-Fi Calling preferred - but good luck anyway.

Why iD Mobile?