Question

Calls not connecting

New phone last Christmas but the SIM is a couple of years old.

We have been having numerous problems with calls being unsuccessful since getting the new phone. Sometimes a call cannot be made and sometimes someone calling the phone gets ringing tone but the phone does nothing.

We are in a fairly rural area but have a strong 4G signal and very weak 3G signal. The previous phone was 2G/3G only and had no 4G option.

I have tried forcing the the handset to LTE/WCDMA, LTE only and WCDMA only so I am able to eliminate 2G fallback as being a possible cause. From my tests I would say 3G is less likely to have a call connection problem but the signal is too weak to be usable in many locations. 4G although it often has a strong signal is likely to fail with setting up a call. Sometimes however it does work perfectly.

Would it be possible to have a new SIM sent out as I feel that something in the 3G-4G handover process is getting screwed up and it may just need a newer version of SIM?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The three network (iD Mobile’s network partner) requires a 3G handset. 

I don’t think three have any 2G infrastructure in the UK - so it’s 3G or later with iD and three.

Are the issues in one location or wherever you happen to be using the handset?

What handset are you using?

If you want a replacement SIM, the “How do I get a replacement SIM card?” community article explains how to get one.

Anyway, good luck.

The handset is capable of 2G/3G/4G but as I said I have eliminated 2G from being involved as I have tried setting it to the various LTE & WCDMA only options. One of my earlier suspicions was if the the phone was trying to use 2G but I think I have proved that is not the case.

The issues are all over but at home 4G is by far the strongest signal. 3G is usually able to set-up a call at home but the sound breaks up making it next to useless.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

To be honest, given the issues started when you started using the ‘new’ handset, it seems the handset is most likely the problem.

1. What handset are you using?
  2. Where did you purchase your new handset?
  3. Can you try your iD SIM in another handset?

Anyway, should you want a replacement SIM, the “How do I get a replacement SIM card?” community article explains how to get one.

The get a replacement has “chat us” link that doesn’t work

1 Why?

2 Why?

2 Not one has 4G

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @itsyounotme, although I’ve never had any trouble using live chat on my Windows laptop using a web browser, you can send iD a private message (PM) using facebook or twitter.

On social media, it’s best to contact iD between 9am - 6pm - that way you can PM with a real person.

I have neither.

No link - “If you need a replacement SIM, chat to us and one of our Live Chat agents will arrange for a”

Okay just noticed you have a working link in your message I’ll try that

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry to hear that @itsyounotme.

Seems you’ll need to persevere with live chat, or wait until someone from iD reads your forum post.

Otherwise, you can get a replacement SIM in currys or Carphone Warehouse, but it £5 for this privilege.

Thanks. The phone is sort of working so I can wait.

I do understand the phone could be at fault but I very much doubt it as this does have the symptoms of a network that is not sure of where the phone is. I think that if the phone was at fault it would never work. The SIM did work in a 2G/3G phone albeit with the usual weak signal problems but is playing up badly in a 2G/3G/4G phone at 4G even though the 4G signal is booming through.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @itsyounotme.

Posts and replies don’t happen in real-time in this forum, and it often takes iD Mobile several days or longer to read new posts. 

Anyway, I hope you get your issue fixed in due course.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @itsyounotme, we’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?