Question

cancelling 12 month contract due to poor service

• 20 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi, has anyone had any luck trying to cancel their contract. Since I joined 4 months ago I constantly can’t make calls to landline number - I get a “you are outside your call allowance” message despite having unlimited calls/text. Sporadically happens with mobiles too or cuts out once connected.

Today I couldn’t even send text messages! 

The service is faulty so I’d like to leave without being charged for the rest of the contract time.

Anyone successfully done this? 

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Anyone successfully done this? 

Nope!

Seems like we can complain to the communication ombudsman, once we’ve been through ID’s in house complaint procedure. 

I'm thinking we have a right to cancel under the supply of goods and services act 1982 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I doubt it’s possible, @K40. Unfortunately, the UK mobile networks don’t guarantee reception in any given location, nor that an existing signal won’t be faulty from time-to-time, nor even that coverage will be maintained as is during your minimum term. 

Perhaps that’s why your contract came with a cooling off period - have you lodged an official complaint, @K40?

It’s not the coverage that’s the problem as calls connect and then disconnect you sporadically through the conversation.

Last time I “spoke” to the service team I just kept being sent to a web page about being outside of call allowances. I have an unlimited plan and was just trying to call included numbers. I gave up but got a copy of the transcript. Plus the messages on here from others experience the same issues of being cut off of phone calls. When calling landline numbers yesterday, I get an announcement to say it’s outside of my call allowance. 

I couldn’t send text messages or picture messages today.

so it’s not a coverage issue. It feels like it’s an ID admin fault?! But yes, I’ll be making a complaint through the internal process first.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps the iD Mobile total metering and billing system (TMBS) might be flaky when monitoring an unlimited everything SIM plan, @K40

It might even be non-compliant with the standards specified by OFCOM for TMBS, when it’s used to monitor unlimited everything allowances.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @K40 

Do you get this issue with all landline numbers you call?

What about normal mobile numbers?

Tom

@Tom no it’s Russian roulette. Sometimes I can make calls and then other times I can’t. 

Same with messages but it seems to consistently bounce back, if I try to send a picture message or share a contact info, or respond with a emoji. That just won’t deliver.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @K40 

Is your bill cap at £0?

It sounds like you’re restricted from sending MMS and calls that may be charged extra are being blocked due to the bill cap.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?