Solved

How do I locate the iD Mobile network on my Samsung phone?

Currently my android uses my Broadband provider wifi connection at home. When outside, it doesn’t locate iD Mobile network or Three. Am I doing something wrong? How do I connect to iD Mobile wifi?

I am really frustrated, I don’t think I will be using this provider when my contract ends. Its a nightmare.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 May 2022, 17:52

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’m confused… Are you saying you have no Mobile Network service at all? Or, are you simply unable to get a data connection when not connected to WiFi?

If the issue is with your data connection then try the following:

1. Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Access Point Names and make sure that you have iD Mobile selected as your APN. If you don’t have it listed then click Add located on the top right and use the information here to create it.
  2. Go to Settings > Connections > Data usage and turn on Mobile data

Turn off WiFi and you should now have internet access providing you have any remaining data allowance available to you.

My phone was bought from iD Mobile and so it should have come with these settings already set. Con job!

However, I have already tried this. When I go into settings, there is no option that says ‘Mobile Networks’. There is an option that says WiFi which shows available networks and also ‘+ Add network’.  Clicking on latter and and it gives the option of ‘ Enter network name’ and below it there is option of ‘Security’ and advanced options of IP setting (= DHCP), Proxy(None), Metred network (Detect automatically), Hidden network and MAC address type.

I have a network service in the house which is connected to my Broadband. When I amoutside there is no connection toanything. Surely,

I should be able to connect to iD or Three to use WiFi.

Where is the option of putting the values for these:

APN id
Username <leave blank>
Password <leave blank>
MMSC http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc 
MMS Proxy mms.idmobile.co.uk 
MMS APN Username <leave blank>
MMS APN Password <leave blank>
MMS Port  8799

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You could try the iD Mobile settings checker page.

Enter your mobile number, brand of phone, and brand model to get your device specific settings.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I have already tried this. When I go into settings, there is no option that says ‘Mobile Networks’. 

That's because it's located in Settings > Connections > Mobile networks.

to: 

andewhite Legend

I have already done this. comes up with an’installation successful’ message. but doesn’t help. What am I suppose to do after that?

Under Mobile Networks I have the following options:

Data roaming (set as active)

VoLTE calls SIM1 (currently ON)

Network mode: LTE/3G/2G (autoconnect)

Access Point names

Under Network providers I have found iD and updated some of the information, but there was a lot of other data functions on that set-up: like Authetication type, APN type, APN Protocol, APN roming. I left them blnk. and activated it.

How do I go back in and set APN type to internet+mms

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I have already given you clear instructions on what to do. You need to go to the Access point names and not Network providers (don't think that option even exists).

Anyway, you're over complicating things... Don't focus on the all the options available, just fill out the one's provided by iD Mobile as show in their guide (or use the settings checker as mentioned by @andewhite).

You don't need to set the APN type as internet+mms.

I have done all the following and restarted the phone:

1. Open Settings from the home screen 

1. Tap Wireless and networks or More (this’ll depend on your Android version) 

1. Tap Mobile networks, then Access point names 

1. Tap the Menu button (this could be the lower left soft key, 3 dots in the top right corner, or the word more

1. Tap New APN 

1. Type the following: 
    Name - iD 
    APN - iD 
    MMSC - http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc 
    MMS Proxy - mms.idmobile.co.uk 
    MMS Port - 8799 
    APN Type – You’ll need to choose from a list or type something in. If you’re given the list, choose internet+mms. If you’re asked to type something, type in a * 

1. Tap Menu, then Save 

1. Pick the name we just created in step 6 

BUT THERE IS NO G, 3G, H, E or G symbol on the wifi symbol,and iD does NOT appear as available network on WiFi connections.

I have done all of above.

BUT THERE IS NO G, 3G, H, E or G symbol on the wifi symbol,and iD does NOT appear as available network on WiFi connections.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

WiFi and data are two completely different things. iD Mobile don't offer any WiFi services.

I'm trying to figure out if you have the correct APN settings and that you have enabled data on your device before moving forward but you're jumping all over the place and providing conflicting information.

My basic requirement is to be able to connect to a WiFi when I am out and about. If there is no iD wifi, how do users connect to wifi when they are outside?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

WiFi is used to connect to your home internet connection or in a cafe or bus/train connection. A data connection is the internet connection provided by a mobile network and uses your mobile phone signal to provide internet access.

I suggest that you use one of the many YouTube videos to work out how to switch between them, enable or disable them and understand the difference between them.

You need to turn off WiFi, turn on data and providing you have the correct APN settings on your phone (and you have data allowance included in your plan) then you will be be able to use internet wherever you have a mobile signal. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Starfish531, it sounds like you’re a little confused here. As @WelshPaul explains, your mobile network and Wi-Fi connections are two completely separate things. You won’t find us in your Wi-Fi settings.

Once you’ve followed the steps in the above post and restarted your phone, are you able to make calls and use data when Wi-Fi is turned OFF? If so, congratulations - your mobile network is working!

Thank you,

Rory

No I am NOT confused. Stop saying that and read what I have written. Do I mention making calls? Do I say anything about using data? No!

Lots of the other service providers give access to the internet. Its resonable to query if iDMobile also provides access to the internet on WiFi. It doesn’t. 

Stop giving obtuse responses like ‘ you won’t find us in your WiFI settings’. The correct response is that iD Mobile DOES NOT have any wifi internet provision.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Very few UK mobile networks offer “any wifi internet provision” (as you put it). I assume you mean WiFi Hotspots? I think O2 do, EE do not, Three do not and neither do Vodafone.

Your response is at odds with the information here:

https://www.broadband.co.uk/mobile-broadband/providers/

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Yea, cause those all use a mobile Data connection over 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G to provide internet access. You pop one of those sim’s in a router or mobile WiFi device and it is that router that provides the WiFi connection, not the network. Networks simply provide a Data connection over 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G only. With the exception of O2 who offer WiFi Hotspot access when out and about.

But, you keep going on about WiFi? You even got annoyed and are adamant you do not want help with your data connection? Your problem isn’t with WiFi or WiFi related, it’s that you have no internet access when out and about, correct? If so, that’s because your iD Mobile data connection isn’t working.

I think the easiest option is going to be to reset the network settings of your device:

Settings > General management > Reset > Reset network settings

Failing that, I recommend that you pop into your local Curry’s store and they will be able to configure your phone for you.

Good Luck!

OK, Thanks for responding. I will try and get staff at Currys to help.

Why iD Mobile?