Question

Steam & BattleNet aren't accepting my number for 2FA

Whenever I try to add my IDMobile phone number to my steam account for security measures and to setup 2FA, I get this error:

“Unfortunately we are unable to accept VOIP phone numbers. Please enter a mobile number associated with a phone that you physically have in your possession.”

Their F.A.Q gives us this:

“Why is my number being blocked because it's considered VoIP? - We are unable to accept new VoIP phone numbers on Steam due to them not meeting our security requirements. If your phone number is blocked because it's considered VoIP you will need to find a mobile or prepaid phone number to use on Steam. Select carriers use VoIP technology in their cellular plans and we are unable to support these. Our system will notify you when you enter your phone number if we consider it to be a VoIP number.”

Meanwhile, in a similar manner, when I try to add my phone number to my Blizzard BattleNet Account, I get a this error: 

“Please enter a post-paid phone number.”

and their F.A.Q. gives us this”

“Eligibility & Limitations

Battle.net Phone Notifications are designed for text-enabled mobile phones:

• Messaging apps like iMessage (iOS) or WhatsApp (iOS, Android) are not supported.
  • Mobile phones with prepaid plans may not work with the phone notification service.
  • Phone notifications cannot be used with Voice over IP (VoIP), and VoIP numbers that are transferred to a local provider are not eligible for the service.”

I’m really confused about this VOIP meaning. I’m unable to play games now or secure my account with 2FA and so need to find a way to sort this ASAP. Is my number broken? Or do I need to change something? I can receive calls and sms just fine any time of the day, whether i’ve got internet/data access or not. Any information would be amazing.

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Did you enter your mobile number in +44 7xxx xxx xxx format?

Have you contacted STEAM support to query their analysis of your mobile number being VoIP?

Anyway, good luck @CrazyNinja101.

I did enter my number in that format. I also sent in a ticket to steam’s support but there’s a high probability they won’t be able to help. I need to figure out the underlying issue regarding why my number won’t work and how is it a VoIP and if idmobile can fix this

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

All seems a bit odd @CrazyNinja101.

The STEAM sight claims to have a reporting mechanism for wrongly identified VoIP mobile numbers.

• Are you trying to use the STEAM Guard Mobile Authenticator?
  • Are you using Wi-Fi Calling when trying to use STEAM Guard 2FA?
  • Can you get STEAM Guard (2FA) codes via email instead of SMS?

iD Mobile Wi-Fi Calling relies on VoLTE technology, which ultimately relies VoIP.

I’m not sure iD Mobile will be able to help you because their network will have to use VoLTE, because Three UK (iD’s network partner) are turning OFF their 3G network by end of 2024.

Anyway, good luck @CrazyNinja101

@andewhite thanks for the reply again.

I currently have Steam Guard codes sent to my email as my primary method, however should my email ever get compromised / lost, I would like to have another method enable for account security, and thus i want to add my mobile number so i can enable the steam guard mobile authenticator. 

Specifically, I’ve been trying to add it manually via: Steam > Settings > Account > View Account Details > Add a phone number. However I’m met with that prompt mentioned earlier: “Unfortunately we are unable to accept VOIP phone numbers. Please enter a mobile number associated with a phone that you physically have in your possession.” 

Similarly, Battle.Net (Blizzard) tells me more or less the same thing, the prompt having been posted earlier above. I’ve had no issues receiving sms text verify codes from other platforms such as Snapchat, Twitch, Paypal, Facebook etc. and have even setup google authenticators for many. I suppose they all accept these “VoIP numbers” but Steam and Blizzard do not, as they see them as a security flaw? Many others have been facing a similar problem but it’s all very confusing to me. 

I’m unsure what Wi-Fi calling is also. I found a setting called Wi-Fi-Calling next to Bluetooth / Mobile Hotspot / NFC and all four of these settings are turned off

If it helps, I’m using a Samsung Galaxy J3 2017 phone and i’m using a ID mobile Sim and my current plan is £8 a month - Unlimited Mins, Unlimited Texts and 16GB Data. 

Also with Battle.Net (Blizzard), they literally won’t let you play Overwatch 2 unless you have a mobile number added to your account. It’s crazy. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This is just bizarre @CrazyNinja101.

These are mainly US companies - all the US mobile network operators are ‘sunsetting’ 2G and 3G, or have already done so.

Once you’re using 4G and 5G technology for mobile telephony, the only option is using VoLTE on the carrier’s network to call and text.

2G and 3G mobile networks mixed circuit-switching (for calls and texts) with packet-switching (for data). 

4G and 5G networks are packet-switched for everything, meaning VoLTE has been adopted for calls and texts.

It does seem odd US companies are refusing mobile numbers on the basis of being a VoIP number.

Good luck finding the right people to help you with this quandary @CrazyNinja101.

Thank you, I hope I can find an answer to this soon as well. What’s even weirder is that several of my family members also use ID mobile but their numbers are acceptable. If it comes down to it, I could use their numbers if i really needed too. However, it becomes a pain in the ass if i need to verify a code sent to that number at 2am in the morning etc. so ideally i would honestly like to get my number up and running. It’s so bizarre. Nevertheless, thanks for the explanation. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you had your iD SIM card as long as your Galaxy J3 2017 handset?

Yeah I’ve had the sim since i got my phone also back in 2017

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If might be worth asking for a replacement SIM card.
FYI, due to its age your iD SIM probably doesn’t support use of 5G, although neither does your current handset.

Getting a replacement SIM is explained in the “How do I get a replacement SIM card?” community FAQ.

Good luck @CrazyNinja101.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @CrazyNinja101 

I can’t quite say we’ve ever seen this issue before, as @andewhite suggests it could be worth trying a replacement SIM.

Please let us know if you need any help with this or visit the article linked above.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you, I hope I can find an answer to this soon as well. What’s even weirder is that several of my family members also use ID mobile but their numbers are acceptable. If it comes down to it, I could use their numbers if i really needed too. However, it becomes a pain in the ass if i need to verify a code sent to that number at 2am in the morning etc. so ideally i would honestly like to get my number up and running. It’s so bizarre. Nevertheless, thanks for the explanation. 

Okay @CrazyNinja101, are you using Wi-Fi Calling at home when you’re trying setup the 2FA for your STEAM account?

If yes, then perhaps that might be an issue - although I’m guessing you’ve got a good reason to be using Wi-Fi Calling at home. 

If you’ve got other iD mobile numbers you know work, using 4G handsets, with newer SIM cards, then maybe a replacement SIM is worth trying.

Good luck. 

Userlevel 1

Hey @CrazyNinja101 have you managed to get this sorted? I’m in the same boat as you and I’m lost. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

We can’t see any further contact so hopefully you’re able to get an answer from @CrazyNinja101,

but if you need a replacement SIM, let us know. 

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?