Solved

Unreadable PDF bills on ID app

• 12 October 2023
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 2

the PDF bills accessible through the id app on my iphone 14 ( using the latest ios 17.0.3) are full of unrecognisable characters, rendering the bill useless. I can get them if I log onto my account using my laptop, but not via the app. what is going on?

icon

Best answer by Nikhil P 6 March 2024, 17:49

View original

42 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi All 

It’s obvious that no one at ID Mobile is taking ownership of this issue and are basically going to ignore us and pass the buck.

I will try at the weekend to make time to email Alex Baldock (curry’s CEO) with regards to this and the poor excuses we are getting (if I don’t get time this week as i do have a lot on this weekend I will be able to the following weekend) and if that doesn't work I will personally make sure that I attend the next Currys shareholder meeting and bring this up then (as a shareholder I have the right to attend them so they can’t ignore us forever).

At the end of the day this level of poor service and ownership is going to make people leave ID Mobile after their contract period ends and give ID Mobile a poor reputation which is stupid when all they have to do is sort out the issue and its not a difficult issue either the rendering type is no longer supported by apple or the software is not rendering correctly for it to universally read as a PDF.

Both as a customer and shareholder I have vested interest in this getting solved as quickly as possible.

Wayne

Hi All 

It’s obvious that no one at ID Mobile is taking ownership of this issue and are basically going to ignore us and pass the buck.

I will try at the weekend to make time to email Alex Baldock (curry’s CEO) with regards to this and the poor excuses we are getting (if I don’t get time this week as i do have a lot on this weekend I will be able to the following weekend) and if that doesn't work I will personally make sure that I attend the next Currys shareholder meeting and bring this up then (as a shareholder I have the right to attend them so they can’t ignore us forever).

At the end of the day this level of poor service and ownership is going to make people leave ID Mobile after their contract period ends and give ID Mobile a poor reputation which is stupid when all they have to do is sort out the issue and its not a difficult issue either the rendering type is no longer supported by apple or the software is not rendering correctly for it to universally read as a PDF.

Both as a customer and shareholder I have vested interest in this getting solved as quickly as possible.

Wayne

Brilliant👍 This has been driving me mad for months. Today I downloaded the adobe app and finally I can read the bills, but I shouldn’t have to do that as I have no issues in my apple phone with other pdf downloads… 

Thanks for your efforts Wayne! Agreed ID Mobile need to resolve this or else they will get bad reviews and people won’t buy there products from those reviews. User reviews are so important nowadays 

Userlevel 2

It is far too easy to blame Apple - this doesn’t happen every month but I think it has happened three times in the last five months.  Sort it out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @WayneSoton @s27das,

We hope that you are able to access your bills now.

The thread below may help answer your query as the team have now confirmed it as resolved.

Kash

Userlevel 2

It is not resolved, it’s still happening. And ONLY on the iD mobile app and website.  My devices render every other pdf perfectly on every other website or app. It’s beyond a joke now. You’re supposed to be a tech company yet you can’t render a pdf properly??? Wtf? 

Userlevel 3

Hey there @Jeez, we’re sorry to hear that. The issue with opening bills has been resolved for some time, so we apologise if you’re still affected by this.

What device are you opening the PDF/bill on please?

Thank you,

Tyler

Userlevel 2

I can open the bills fine. But they are totally unreadable. Just a jumble of symbols. I deal with pdf’s all day and the only site that doesn’t work is iD mobile. I’ve spoken with Apple and it’s only your app & website that it has had reports of issues.  I have two iPad Pro’s and two iPhones, none of them can read any recent bills on the app or website. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jeez,

Welcome to the Community!

Can I check that you are trying to view the bill through a PDF viewer?

It may be worth trying a non-Apple device if you still have issues.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I have just joined and can confirm that I see the problem as well.  The iDMobile app renders the bill as gibberish and when downloading on my Mac I have the same problems.  The phone is running IOS 17.3 and the Mac is Sonoma 14.3.1 - both the latest releases.  I see the following when trying to view on either device:

So this is still a problem and I can’t view my bills.  This is the first time I’ve ever had an issue with viewing any PDF on my Mac/Phone.  What can I do to view these bills?  Also, viewing on a non-apple device is a non-starter as I only have a Mac and an iPhone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The PDF document is probably missing important information about font character mapping. This would be an iD Mobile issue because this only happens when the document is produced incorrectly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

We're sorry you're experiencing issues viewing your bills on iOS and Mac. 

I'm happy to say that we've got a change going in next week (planned for Tuesday, the 5th of March), which will fix the issue for all future bills. The change is not related to the iD Mobile app; it's specific to bill generation. The iD Mobile app just provides access to the bill files.

The problem has been caused by how Apple's latest PDF viewer handles fonts. Fonts were handled correctly up until a recent update. We’ve had a ticket open with Apple, but are yet to get a confirmation of a fix.

As mentioned in this thread, the workaround is to use an alternative PDF viewer. For example, Adobe Acrobat or even Google Chrome. These render the bills correctly. We recognise this isn’t ideal and very much look forward to the issue being resolved!

Thanks

Kieran

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @WayneSoton,

Welcome to the Community!

Are you able to access the bills using a PDF viewer?

Have you followed the steps that @bonycrab has posted?

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that we've got a change going in next week (planned for Tuesday, the 5th of March), which will fix the issue for all future bills. The change is not related to the iD Mobile app; it's specific to bill generation. The iD Mobile app just provides access to the bill files.

The problem has been caused by how Apple's latest PDF viewer handles fonts. Fonts were handled correctly up until a recent update. We’ve had a ticket open with Apple, but are yet to get a confirmation of a fix.

As mentioned in this thread, the workaround is to use an alternative PDF viewer. For example, Adobe Acrobat or even Google Chrome. These render the bills correctly. We recognise this isn’t ideal and very much look forward to the issue being resolved!

Thanks

Kieran

Will this mean we can read old bills, if not how do I view them? I don’t understand when people say view in word or with another viewer as I don’t seem to see any option to do this.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Kieran

Will this mean we can read old bills, if not how do I view them? I don’t understand when people say view in word or with another viewer as I don’t seem to see any option to do this.

I think only the most recent 12-months bills are available online, @PeterH

Find a PDF viewer in the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, then install PDF viewer of your choice, on your device.

Afterwards, download your iD bill and open it in the PDF viewer app - bill should be legible. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi All,

This issue has now been resolved. 

All future bills will now appear in the correct format. 

If you would like to view any previous PDF bills in the correct format, you can do so using Adobe Acrobat Reader

Appolgies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I finally figured how to do it, I have to open the corrupt version then go through a viewer and it’s fine. Glad it’s resolved for the future 👍👍

Userlevel 3

Hey @PeterH, thank you for the update and that’s really great to hear!

Kind regards,

Tyler

Why iD Mobile?