Solved

Unreadable PDF bills on ID app

• 12 October 2023
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 2

the PDF bills accessible through the id app on my iphone 14 ( using the latest ios 17.0.3) are full of unrecognisable characters, rendering the bill useless. I can get them if I log onto my account using my laptop, but not via the app. what is going on?

icon

Best answer by Nikhil P 6 March 2024, 17:49

View original

42 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps there’s a bug in the iD app? 

What happens if you use Safari and login to your iD account from your iPhone - is the PDF bill readable?

Userlevel 2

On your sugestion I logged in to  my account in safari on the iphone. Looked for my bills, and exactly the same gobbledegook.

I have not come across this with any other document on the iphone.

Userlevel 2

here is a screen shot

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I wonder if there’s an iOS bug in the PDF reader. 
If the file is okay when viewed on your laptop in Chrome/Edge/Firefox, maybe Apple have goofed. 

Does the file render okay in Adobe Acrobat Reader?
I assume this is free to use for reading PDF files, and is available from the app store. 

Userlevel 2

yes I have dowloaded Acrobat and tested. The pdf bill renders perfectly in Adobe on my phone, so presumably there is an issue with the ID app.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Rayw, that does seem to suggest an issue with the iD app.
FYI, Android version also has an issue with bills - problem with access to local storage on the phone (linked to the security enhancements introduced in Android 13). 

I’ve never trusted the iD app, after trying briefly. I stick to the online portal https://my.idmobile.co.uk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Rayw,

Please let us know if you have any issues with bills from your account on the website.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same issue using both the App and the website. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Rayw,

Please let us know if you have any issues with bills from your account on the website.

Kash

... I can get them if I log onto my account using my laptop, but not via the app. what is going on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Steve S S S,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Userlevel 1

So apparently this is a known issue. If you have landed on this page because you’re having the same issue here’s ID’s response:

Hi,

The team have advised that using a Apple device with iOS 17 and above may have these PDF reading issues.

We'd recommend finding a PDF viewer in the App Store or using a non-Apple device to read bills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Steve S S S,

Thanks for making others aware of the issue.

We hope that you have been able to view your bill via a different app or device.

Kash

I hav the same issue aswell. They need to update the app asap, cuz all my pdf bills from 7 months ago are encrypted

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ur mom,

I can see that we have responded to you elsewhere.

We would advise to follow the steps provided, however please get back to us if you require further assistance.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Can idmobile tell us if this is going to be rectified in the near future? It’s pretty poor service - a common theme I’ve discovered since joining in September - given that many people will be using iPhones or Apple devices to view their bills.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @LizB43 

Unfortunately we wouldn’t have any information the public wouldn’t already on this, we don’t know when or if Apple plan to fix this in upcoming updates.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I’ve got unreadable bills on IOS and Macos. However I found a work-around, on the Mac open the PDF bill in Word - you can read it OK then.

This is far from being solved. ID Mobile PDF invoices are the only unreable PDF I have ever encountered on my Macbook.

ID Mobile you’d better realise it not an Apple issue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @GioBro 

I believe you are mistaken, we issue a PDF file and many Apple devices cannot read them properly, this is unfortunately an issue we’re awaiting Apple to fix, sorry.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Why is this still an issue?

I can’t view my bills on my iPhone. I don’t have anywhere else to view them and there appears to be no advice available for an iPhone user

iD mobile need fo issue bills in a different format.  I open other pdfs on my phone so it does appear to be isolated to IDM. 
please sort it out!!

Userlevel 2

This is an issue which ID Mobile are claiming is an apple issue.

Its not an apple issue as every other PDF opens perfectly fine so it has got to be something to do with the way ID create the PDF’s

ID Mobile you need to fix this as if it was an apple issue it would happen to other PDF files and not just yours and it is only yours that has this issue

If you are not going to fix it please let me know and I will happily write to Alex Baldock (or bring it up in the next shareholder meeting) if thats what it’s going to take for you to fix this and stop passing the buck

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This is an issue which ID Mobile are claiming is an apple issue.

It's not an apple issue as every other PDF opens perfectly fine so it has got to be something to do with the way ID create the PDF’s

ID Mobile you need to fix this as if it was an apple issue it would happen to other PDF files and not just yours and it is only yours that has this issue

If you are not going to fix it please let me know and I will happily write to Alex Baldock (or bring it up in the next shareholder meeting) if that's what it’s going to take for you to fix this and stop passing the buck

The OP stated the issue was happening with iOS 17.0.3 - what’s your iOS version, @WayneSoton? 

Userlevel 2

It happens on ipad ios 17.02 iphone ios 17.2.1 and on my mac 14.2.1

and if it was an issue with the apple iOS it would be an issue with all PDF’s not just the ID Mobile ones

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It happens on ipad ios 17.02 iphone ios 17.2.1 and on my mac 14.2.1

and if it was an issue with the apple iOS it would be an issue with all PDF’s not just the ID Mobile ones

Okay, thanks @WayneSoton. I don’t have a recent iD bill, so just curious if the iD bill PDF is rendered correctly in the Adobe PDF reader app on an Apple device? 

Member @bonycrab posted a workaround (as below), which appears to suggest it might not be an issue with the PDF.

Userlevel 2

Not sure, the bit I find really annoying and unfair is ID Mobile saying it’s not our problems its an apple issue which if that was the case I would have the same issue with all my PDF’s i download from various places and I don’t I only get this with ID Mobile

Why iD Mobile?