Solved

APN Settings for iPhone 13 Mini (iOS 16) not accessible

• 19 June 2023
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 1

I cannot access APN Settings.  I can connect to European networks and can successfully make and receive phone calls but cannot access data.

I have contacted Apple who say that IF my network operator allows it then I can access APN Settings at, “

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

If your device doesn't have either option, contact your carrier.”

Mobile Data Network nor Cellular Data Network show up under my phone at Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options

I have contacted ID Mobile numerous times via chat.  They repeatedly say that their technical team will call me but they never do.

I have raised a complaint and spoken to the complaints team twice by telephone.  They say that the technical team will contact me.  But they haven’t.

PLEASE HELP!

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 19 June 2023, 20:59

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

45 replies

Userlevel 1

@Peroni93 @WelshPaul @andewhite 

thanks Peroni93!  If the unlockit.co.nz method do not work for you then it won’t work for me either.  If I’d known it was owned by Curry’s when I signed up then I’d have known it was going to be useless and not bothered!

Any chance that Smarty includes roaming?  If not then it looks like O2.  I’d rather pay their prices and avoid the awful lack of service from ID.

Userlevel 2

Smarty does include roaming on all plans which was a must for me. Really pleased with the service so far. Look out for their special offers. 

best

Userlevel 1

@Peroni93 @WelshPaul @andewhite 

Many thanks to the three of you for bothering to reply and doing your best to help me.  It is shocking to me that ID don’t recognise an issue that clearly repeats for multiple customers and still don’t have a fix for it.  It appears that@Tom Wainwright raised the same issue 7 months ago.  But ID have still not fixed it as the same thing has happened to me and @Peroni93. Their technical team have still not called me despite requests from their colleagues to do so dating back to when I first travelled with ID (19-23 May 2023).

Pushing water uphill with them feels like a waste of all our energy.  Time for a different network!

@Kash @Mohammed any last tips to rescue this situation?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If your iPhone’s Wi-Fi networking is turned ON, this option won’t appear @TCorrin.

If Wi-Fi networking is turned OFF, then the option should appear.

Incorrect, setting is displayed for me when connected to WiFi

Ah, yes - my mistake.
Seems when “Settings > Airplane Mode” is ON, then “Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network” doesn’t appear, which makes sense.

What’s the “Settings > About > Network Provider” value on Three and SMARTY @WelshPaul
Does the value end with “54.0”?  

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Does the value end with “54.0”?  

Yea, it does. SMARTY uses the default THREE settings for pretty much everything excluding the APN.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Likewise with Vodafone. 
I’d speculate the “Network Provider” value on iD should also end in “54.0” - but wondering what the current value is on iD.

When I previously asked iD about this value, never really got a satisfactory reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @TCorrin,

The possible fix I shared in the other topic has previously allowed users to install the APN directly.

See here: 

As long as the settings are set to allow this, it automatically pops up with the website and what it will be adding.

Then tapping Install should apply the APN on the device.

Unless Apple have since changed this in an update to prevent this.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

@Mohammed Mohammed, I have followed your instructions.  It does not work.  I am in Italy without data.  What next?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It worked for me @TCorrin...

Once you have successfully downloaded the profile, go to settings and select ‘Profile Downloaded’.

Select ‘Install’ and you will be prompted to enter your iPhone passcode.

That’s it, it’s installed.

Personally I wouldn’t be happy with this. iD Mobile should allow users to view and edit the APN settings! You can of course create your own profile file file and install it directly on the phone. That way there is no need to use a third party websites.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

One possible problem with the downloaded profile, shown by @WelshPaul, could be the APN value of “3internet” - the correct APN value for iD Mobile is “id”.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

One possible problem with the downloaded profile, shown by @WelshPaul, could be the APN value of “3internet” - the correct APN value for iD Mobile is “id”.

I was being lazy and selected the 3 APN profile when testing. Choose iD Mobile from the APN list and it will install the profile for iD Mobile.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite @WelshPaul @Peroni93 @Mohammed @Kash 

Guys, I did all that yesterday and again today.  I don’t get the same screens you do.  I don’t get shown a downloaded profile with the option to install it, in the same way that I don’t get to see my APN settings because ID Mobile have screwed up.  It didn’t work 7 months ago.  It didn’t work for @Peroni93 relatively recently and it does not work for me.

I’m now abroad again and paying extra to other networks to access data for Sat nav etc and jumping on WiFi whenever I can.

ID Mobile are costing me a fortune.  They must fix the problem and pay!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I don’t get shown a downloaded profile with the option to install it

A mobile network cannot prevent, restrict or control the installation of iOS configuration profile. If you cannot install a configuration profiles on your iOS device then something else is going on here.

I don’t get to see my APN settings because ID Mobile have screwed up.

What makes you think they screwed up? It could be intentional!

If you want the ability to view, edit or remove Access Point Names, then do as @Peroni93  did and switch networks. iD Mobile are not going to enable this setting and even if they want to, it isn’t as simple as flicking a switch! They would have to submit a request to Apple, pay £££ and then wait for the next firmware update to be pushed.

Userlevel 1

@WelshPaul @andewhite @Mohammed @Kash 

Apple indicate that I cannot see the screens you are seeing because my network operator has chosen not to show them to me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Apple indicate that I cannot see the screens you are seeing because my network operator has chosen not to show them to me.

This is not true when it comes to configuration profiles. The installation and removal of Configuration Profiles can be restricted on iOS devices, but this is achieved in itself by installing a Configuration Profile. Configuration Profiles are used to configure, lock down and secure devices used by schools, universities, businesses etc. They are also used to install and configure every day features used by individuals such as you and me (such as Font’s and APN’s).

At the end of the day, if you’re unhappy, switch networks!

Userlevel 1

if you say so.  But I am following the instructions that Mohammed and you have given and I cannot get the same result as you and I still cannot get data abroad.  At the end of the day, ID Mobiile have sold me a service that includes data roaming in the EU but it does not work for multiple customers.  It may not be easy to fix for them and may cost them money with Apple but they have a responsibility to make it work.  This is their fault, not mine.  I should not have to switch networks to get what ID Mobile have charged me for

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

if you say so.  But I am following the instructions that Mohammed and you have given and I cannot get the same result as you and I still cannot get data abroad.  At the end of the day, ID Mobiile have sold me a service that includes data roaming in the EU but it does not work for multiple customers.  It may not be easy to fix for them and may cost them money with Apple but they have a responsibility to make it work.  This is their fault, not mine.  I should not have to switch networks to get what ID Mobile have charged me for

I’d feel the same way, but the fact seems to be iD Mobile either don’t care, or don’t have the resources to fix your issue @TCorrin.  

Unfortunately, UK mobile operators have numerous caveats about receiving their services, in the UK and abroad, in their terms & conditions.

When @Peroni93 had this problem, it was solved after they switched to another service provider (SMARTY).  

Userlevel 1

I am travelling to southern France tomo and then on to northern Spain for a week. I thought I’d have look at this whole ‘will my phone work’ issue to be prepared for any hiccups and it led me here…oh Lordy looks like I’ll be in for the same nightmare 🤬. 
can’t find the ‘mobile data network’ field either.  Whether it appears when I get the ff the plane… and whether I can access maps to find my accommodation- who knows. Wish me luck. I don’t imagine I am going to sleep well tonight. Maybe I should just stay up and print off maps of everywhere 🤣

I did notice there’s a planned maintenance in the site so if by some miracle this what they are working on with updated advice I can wishfully dream. 

can you please reassure me that wifi will work??? 
many thanks  

pip

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I am travelling to southern France tomo and then on to northern Spain for a week. I thought I’d have look at this whole ‘will my phone work’ issue to be prepared for any hiccups and it led me here…oh Lordy looks like I’ll be in for the same nightmare 🤬. 
can’t find the ‘mobile data network’ field either.  Whether it appears when I get the ff the plane… and whether I can access maps to find my accommodation- who knows. Wish me luck. I don’t imagine I am going to sleep well tonight. Maybe I should just stay up and print off maps of everywhere 🤣

I did notice there’s a planned maintenance in the site so if by some miracle this what they are working on with updated advice I can wishfully dream. 

can you please reassure me that wifi will work??? 
many thanks  

pip

If Wi-Fi networking works on your handset in the UK, then it’ll work when you’re in northern Spain @pippop

You’ll still be able to call and text in Spain, should you be unlucky enough to experience some problems using your roaming mobile data allowance.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for that I had assumed it would but was having a minor panic. Everything is so complicated when things don’t work and we are so dependant on internet these days for accommodation and travel apps. 
Cheers

Why iD Mobile?