Solved

APN Settings for iPhone 13 Mini (iOS 16) not accessible

• 19 June 2023
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 1

I cannot access APN Settings.  I can connect to European networks and can successfully make and receive phone calls but cannot access data.

I have contacted Apple who say that IF my network operator allows it then I can access APN Settings at, “

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

If your device doesn't have either option, contact your carrier.”

Mobile Data Network nor Cellular Data Network show up under my phone at Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options

I have contacted ID Mobile numerous times via chat.  They repeatedly say that their technical team will call me but they never do.

I have raised a complaint and spoken to the complaints team twice by telephone.  They say that the technical team will contact me.  But they haven’t.

PLEASE HELP!

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 19 June 2023, 20:59

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

45 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’ve got an iPhone 13 mini, with iOS 16.5 @TCorrin.

Mobile data options are available on my iPhone 13 mini, when Wi-Fi networking is turned OFF, and I’m receiving a 3G/4G/5G signal.

I don’t think you’ll see the “Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network” option if Wi-Fi networking is turned ON on your iPhone.

You’ll only see “Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network” when you’re the USA, where “Cellular” is used in place of “Mobile Data”.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite 

i had seen the same suggestion in another post to @Tom Wainwright 

unfortunately, switching off the WiFi does not work.

I have also tried switching on/off the phone; resetting the phone; removing and reinserting the SIM card.

Any more ideas?

thanks again

Userlevel 1

Here is a screen shot showing Wifi turned off, 5G signal working but no APN settings available under the Mobile Data Options section of Settings on my iPhone 13 Mini (iOS16)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TCorrin, with Wi-Fi networking turned OFF, what do you see under the following option?

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network

You should find, at the very least the APN and MMS settings, for your mobile service provider. 

Userlevel 1

Dear @andewhite I have included a screenshot of the Mobile Data Options menu above - you can see that there is no APN or MMS setting available.  

There is no “Mobile Data Network” option under “Mobile Data.”

If I use the search function within Settings there are no results for APN

Userlevel 1

Here is the screen shot again:

Userlevel 1

@andewhite here is the screenshot again

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TCorrin - can you find the following option?

• Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network

The above option isn’t the same as: “Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options”. 

Userlevel 1

@andewhite no there is NOT a Mobile Data Network option under the Mobile Data section

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sometimes if your iPhone’s Wi-Fi networking is turned ON, this option won’t appear @TCorrin.

If Wi-Fi networking is turned OFF, then perhaps the option will appear.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If your iPhone’s Wi-Fi networking is turned ON, this option won’t appear @TCorrin.

If Wi-Fi networking is turned OFF, then the option should appear.

Incorrect, setting is displayed for me when connected to WiFi

@TCorrin there was a post that I responded to a couple of weeks back that had the exact same issue as you. While all I can do is speculate, I believe iD Mobile have chosen to hide the menu option when using their network.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite Yes, I have understood your guidance to switch off wifi.  Everything has been done without WiFi on.  The option that shows on your screenshots does not appear for me.  Here is a screenshot of the Mobile Data section - you can see that wifi is OFF in the top right of the screenshot.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Have a read of the above thread. It contains a possible workaround/fix! 👍🏻

Userlevel 1

@andewhite @WelshPaul 

Dear WelshPaul

Your explanation is 100% consistent with Apple’s explanation.  They say that it is upto the Network Operator to reveal the APN settings to me and is nothing to do with my hardware.

I have reset the phone’s network settings with the SIM out and started from scratch but the same network settings have been installed again.

And ID Mobile technical team repeatedly fail to call me despite numerous of their colleagues telling me, on chat and by telephone with the complaints team, that the technical team will call me.

What else can I do?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Someone at iD Mobile likely made a boo boo when updating their carrier settings  and accidentally removed access to the menu setting. After all, no other UK network that I know of restricts access to this menu setting! Doing so is risky, because if set incorrectly, one cannot use data at home or possibly abroad. 

Userlevel 1

Dear @Peroni93 @WelshPaul @andewhite 

WleshPaul, thanks for pointing me to the post/chain by Peroni93.  I have EXACTLY THE SMAE CIRCUMSTANCES (same purchase of unlocked iPhone directly from Apple, and same screenshots).  Moreover, I used to be on Vodafone and could access the APN settings on their network.

However, I have followed the instructions on the chain to create a new APN profile and then reset my phone but I still can’t access the APN settings!

Userlevel 1

@WelshPaul @andewhite @Peroni93 

Here is a screenshot after downloading the new APN from the website referred to.  It says I need to review the new profile within the Settings app in order to install it.  But I can’t access any APN profiles in the Settings app.

Userlevel 1

@Mohammed @Kash 

can you please review this thread and get me the fix I need?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Yea, you can’t access the APN menu and nothing you do will gain you access to it! However, running the above chain script will (or should) set the APN with the correct settings. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Here is a screenshot after downloading the new APN from the website referred to.  It says I need to review the new profile within the Settings app in order to install it.  But I can’t access any APN profiles in the Settings app.

Look here:

Settings > General > VPN & Device Management

Userlevel 1

so no way to find out until I go abroad again?  Very frustrating if it doesn’t work and I am without data yet again!

….and the message on the screenshot indicates that I still need to review and install the profile within Settings.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for all your help. 

I have the fix! I cancelled my contract and moved to Smarty! 😂 works brilliantly! 

all the best

Userlevel 1

@Peroni93 @WelshPaul @andewhite 

thanks Peroni93 - I am beginning to think that is the only solution!  Any chance Smarty inclides data roaming in the main price?  If not, it looks like O2.  I’d rather pay their prices than put up with a shit network from Curry’s!

Why iD Mobile?