CES 2023: the future of phones

CES 2023: the future of phones
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

CES has come and gone for another year. But what is CES? Well, CES (or the Consumer Electronics Show) describe it as ‘the most influential tech event in the world’. And they’re not wrong. It’s where all the biggest and best tech brands come together to showcase their latest and greatest. From new gadgets, to futuristic, cutting-edge technology planned for release further down the line.

And with all that, there’s plenty of fresh mobile tech to get your eyes around too. So, here’s just some of the most exciting features and phones announced at the show…

The Phones

Samsung Galaxy A14 5G

Want more bang for your buck? You’ll want to keep an eye on the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G then. It’s been pitched as an entry-level Galaxy, but with a spec that punches well above its potential price. Plus, there are loads of great features that you usually won’t find on a phone of this level.

A 5000mAh battery will keep the phone going throughout the day, and everything looks great on the 6.6-inch screen. But probably best of all is the 90Hz refresh rate. A higher refresh rate means the screen responds and refreshes even quicker. And that makes using your device much more fluid.

It’s even got a bit of an old-school edge. Most phone manufacturers have done away with the 3.5mm headphone socket, but Samsung have brought it right back here. So, if you’ve got a well-loved pair of wired headphones that you don’t get to use much anymore, now you can.

Samsung Galaxy S23

While not announced at CES itself, this is arguably one of the most anticipated phones of the year. And because of that, we couldn’t not include it. With the launch event coming very soon, you’ll be able to get the full lowdown right here once we’ve got the full details.

TCL 40 SE

For even more of a budget (but no less brilliant) option, there’s the TCL 40 SE. For the photographers among you, there’s a 50MP camera on the back, with 2 extra 2MP cameras in support. The 8MP front camera can even take snaps in HDR too. Those selfies have never looked so good.

Then like the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G, you’ll view everything on a screen with a 90HZ refresh rate. This is almost unheard of on a phone of this price. So, it might be basic. But it’s still got plenty going on under the hood to make it worthwhile.

Motorola ThinkPhone

Motorola’s latest is aimed squarely at the business world. It’s meant for companies who want to equip their employees with a new phone – but they’re not planning to make it available to the public right now. Which is a bit of a shame too. There’s literally a dedicated red button on the side for quickly talking to your colleagues on Microsoft Teams. And with more and more people working from home now, features like that are perfect for working smarter.  

Look out for it in an office near you at some point early this year.

The tech

Samsung Flex Hybrid

Samsung continue to flex their engineering muscles. Especially when it comes to all thing’s foldable screens. And Flex Hybrid is the name of their latest bit of smart screen tech. But it doesn’t just fold. It slides too. The left side of the screen is designed to unfold, while the right side slides out. When folded out fully, the display transforms into a 12.4-inch screen (up from 10.5-inches). That means an even better picture for streaming, gaming, or video calls. Nice.  

While nothings been confirmed yet, it’s possible we could see this technology forming the backbone of some of their upcoming phones.

Qi2 wireless charging

It’s probably safe to say that Qi2 will quickly become the go-to way of wirelessly charging your phone in 2023. This charging standard will be built-in to accessories and phones – we’re just not sure on the exact models yet. It’s meant to be way, way faster at charging your device, ideal for when you need some more juice in hurry.

It’ll also make wireless charging pads even better. Power will be sent to your phone far more consistently. And your phone won’t get dislodged as easily either. If you’re as clumsy as we are, then that’s a big plus.

Qualcomm Snapdragon Satellite

We’ve all been there. You’re out and about and suddenly your connection drops completely. It’s an absolute pain – especially when you really need to send a message. But with the Qualcomm Snapdragon Satellite, your prayers might have been answered. This chip will let you send messages (both regular and emergency) completely normally, even without any connectivity.

It takes advantage of satellite communications to get your text sent. So even if you’re in the middle of nowhere, you shouldn’t be caught short. We’re expecting most of the flagship phones from all the big names to use the chip going forward.

Giveaway time! - CLOSED

Smart phones have come a long way since the launch of the very first iPhone released in 2007! And there’s clearly plenty more to come based on the announcements at CES 2023 – BUT it always feels like there’s just that one thing missing.

So, to be in a chance to win £100 Love2Shop voucher tell us what that one feature that you would just love to have on a smartphone that isn’t yet available is.. Whether it's holographic displays, 6G, solar charging, or something else entirely! It can be as weird or wacky as your like (just don’t be rude). 

Entries close at 23:59 on 20th February 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

We’ll notify the winner by direct message here on the Community, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

T&C’s apply 

Good Luck!

This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 3

Reliable signal, cheap replaceable reliable long lasting batteries, economical handset with an operating system that regularly upgrades. Why do we have to dump a perfectly working handset just because the operating system can’t be upgraded?

Userlevel 1

A camera that can capture all the planets 🪐 in the solar system..

A phone that predict the future, the next second

Userlevel 1

Would be amazing if they did an app that allows us to upload a video or photo to see and feel as if a loved one that’s sadly not here anymore, was here still. A lot of grieving people would be so happy. 

Top features, although basic I would love to see on new phones are screens and camera screens that do not scratch. Protection on the phone that means you don't need a cover to do this job that hides the phones amazing colours or features that you have spent hours choosing. Last one, Battery charging itself with movement whilst walking etc

Userlevel 1

would love an indestructible screen.

Solar charging battery with a longer life. A signal that never drops! Unbreakable screen. Accurate step counter without the need for Fitbit style watches. All these would make things so much simpler!

Userlevel 1

I would want a strong screen that's shatter proof so if I drop my phone face down there would be no cracks or breaks.

Userlevel 1

Better coverage - we live rurally and travel into even more rural areas at times, and coverage is dreadful at times. 

Userlevel 1

Auto phone call recording, the amount of times I've been assured of a resolution to a problem especially in these hard times only to find it hasn't which ends up hurting us financially. It's a tough situation when you can't provide actual evidence to support what your saying. 

Userlevel 2

Solar or kinetic charging so you never have to plug it in

Be able to connect to any tv to watch films or play games . Record all phone conversations so you can play back when less busy and remind yourself what was said 

Solar energy charging at the back of the phone, maybe?

Userlevel 1

Kinetic charging - I need to exercise more! 😀

Userlevel 1

The ability to start my car remotely

Userlevel 1

I like the idea of using solar power to charge my phone

My feature request is simple (but impossible). I am a photographer and use a modern Mirrorless Camera. Increasingly Smart Phone photography has caught up, and in some areas overtaken “traditional” photography. However died in the wool photographers like me still want and need the ergonomics offered by the Mirrorless Camera. Ie an eyepiece facility that allows you to hold the device to the eye shutting out ambient light. This offers a consistent view of the object and also provides a stable position for taking good photos. I have seen third party add on eye pieces, but they are clunky. I want something along the lies of the internal  periscope lens that would be part of the Smart Phome chassis.

Userlevel 1

I’d like a phone that automatically calls a friend when I’m feeling lonely or depressed 😉

Userlevel 1

I’d like a screen where you could simply peel it off and pass it to someone like some kind of bonkers screen shot receipt!

Userlevel 2

If we’re off into the lands of fantasy I’d love an app where you could rewind time or just time travel! Failing that just charging the battery once a month or year would be great!

Shelter from sunlight and protection from overheating ,solar charging ,strong signal ,unbreakable and unscratchable screen , super long lasting phone battery life , waterproof...

Userlevel 1

Solar panel on the back of the phone.

Userlevel 1

Solar charging would be amazing, just one more way to help the planet 

Would love Solar Charging on my mobile.

Userlevel 1

Smellavision! Thinking of the old scratch and sniff Horrible History books but for nice things like sea breezes and tropical weather. 😌

Why iD Mobile?