CES 2023: the future of phones

CES 2023: the future of phones
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

CES has come and gone for another year. But what is CES? Well, CES (or the Consumer Electronics Show) describe it as ‘the most influential tech event in the world’. And they’re not wrong. It’s where all the biggest and best tech brands come together to showcase their latest and greatest. From new gadgets, to futuristic, cutting-edge technology planned for release further down the line.

And with all that, there’s plenty of fresh mobile tech to get your eyes around too. So, here’s just some of the most exciting features and phones announced at the show…

The Phones

Samsung Galaxy A14 5G

Want more bang for your buck? You’ll want to keep an eye on the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G then. It’s been pitched as an entry-level Galaxy, but with a spec that punches well above its potential price. Plus, there are loads of great features that you usually won’t find on a phone of this level.

A 5000mAh battery will keep the phone going throughout the day, and everything looks great on the 6.6-inch screen. But probably best of all is the 90Hz refresh rate. A higher refresh rate means the screen responds and refreshes even quicker. And that makes using your device much more fluid.

It’s even got a bit of an old-school edge. Most phone manufacturers have done away with the 3.5mm headphone socket, but Samsung have brought it right back here. So, if you’ve got a well-loved pair of wired headphones that you don’t get to use much anymore, now you can.

Samsung Galaxy S23

While not announced at CES itself, this is arguably one of the most anticipated phones of the year. And because of that, we couldn’t not include it. With the launch event coming very soon, you’ll be able to get the full lowdown right here once we’ve got the full details.

TCL 40 SE

For even more of a budget (but no less brilliant) option, there’s the TCL 40 SE. For the photographers among you, there’s a 50MP camera on the back, with 2 extra 2MP cameras in support. The 8MP front camera can even take snaps in HDR too. Those selfies have never looked so good.

Then like the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G, you’ll view everything on a screen with a 90HZ refresh rate. This is almost unheard of on a phone of this price. So, it might be basic. But it’s still got plenty going on under the hood to make it worthwhile.

Motorola ThinkPhone

Motorola’s latest is aimed squarely at the business world. It’s meant for companies who want to equip their employees with a new phone – but they’re not planning to make it available to the public right now. Which is a bit of a shame too. There’s literally a dedicated red button on the side for quickly talking to your colleagues on Microsoft Teams. And with more and more people working from home now, features like that are perfect for working smarter.  

Look out for it in an office near you at some point early this year.

The tech

Samsung Flex Hybrid

Samsung continue to flex their engineering muscles. Especially when it comes to all thing’s foldable screens. And Flex Hybrid is the name of their latest bit of smart screen tech. But it doesn’t just fold. It slides too. The left side of the screen is designed to unfold, while the right side slides out. When folded out fully, the display transforms into a 12.4-inch screen (up from 10.5-inches). That means an even better picture for streaming, gaming, or video calls. Nice.  

While nothings been confirmed yet, it’s possible we could see this technology forming the backbone of some of their upcoming phones.

Qi2 wireless charging

It’s probably safe to say that Qi2 will quickly become the go-to way of wirelessly charging your phone in 2023. This charging standard will be built-in to accessories and phones – we’re just not sure on the exact models yet. It’s meant to be way, way faster at charging your device, ideal for when you need some more juice in hurry.

It’ll also make wireless charging pads even better. Power will be sent to your phone far more consistently. And your phone won’t get dislodged as easily either. If you’re as clumsy as we are, then that’s a big plus.

Qualcomm Snapdragon Satellite

We’ve all been there. You’re out and about and suddenly your connection drops completely. It’s an absolute pain – especially when you really need to send a message. But with the Qualcomm Snapdragon Satellite, your prayers might have been answered. This chip will let you send messages (both regular and emergency) completely normally, even without any connectivity.

It takes advantage of satellite communications to get your text sent. So even if you’re in the middle of nowhere, you shouldn’t be caught short. We’re expecting most of the flagship phones from all the big names to use the chip going forward.

Giveaway time! - CLOSED

Smart phones have come a long way since the launch of the very first iPhone released in 2007! And there’s clearly plenty more to come based on the announcements at CES 2023 – BUT it always feels like there’s just that one thing missing.

So, to be in a chance to win £100 Love2Shop voucher tell us what that one feature that you would just love to have on a smartphone that isn’t yet available is.. Whether it's holographic displays, 6G, solar charging, or something else entirely! It can be as weird or wacky as your like (just don’t be rude). 

Entries close at 23:59 on 20th February 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

We’ll notify the winner by direct message here on the Community, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

T&C’s apply 

Good Luck!

This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 2

One thing I would love to have would be uncrackable screen, or just not slippery hands.

Userlevel 1

Better batteries (maybe solid state batteries)! 

Userlevel 1

I would love to see a feature where we can lock the location function on. For child safety. 

TV remote control

Userlevel 1

I would love to have a solar charging feature on my phone so I don’t have to carry a portable charger around with me all the time and obviously longer battery life. 

smellevision for food 🕺

Solar panel technology would be cool - could effectively boost the battery life of current phones without the need of bigger batteries

I would love a phone where I could easily undo sending a text message or leaving a voicemail. It would save me so many typos and facepalm moments!

Battery tech that charges fast and lasts. So, powerful and slim, lightweight. Also consistent over the years rather than reducing efficiency slowly. Would enable existing tech like high screen resolution to work across more models. 

Userlevel 1

An optional facility to automatically record phone conversations which would be automatically deleted after one week unless saved.

A contact lens display so it would act like a HUD

Userlevel 2

I think all the things I’d wish for are probably available on a top of the range phone, like  a voice activated camera.. When I a press to take a snap it’s all blurred as a shake! Maybe an alert if you’re possibly being scammed...like “do not press that link!” or “Do not trust this person.”  Other than that if you could make my photo’s and videos of my 18 year old cat who just died come to life or at least be like a hologram!

To be able to use another net work when the one that I’m paying for can’t fulfil its contract,  by not supplying a usable network. 

Why do we all sit back and complain privately but never demand recompense when the Network providers fail.  

it would save me so many trouble if we could borrow battery from other phones!

Charging lead, I didn’t break

A good Iphone…

I would love to there to be less latency between watching a show/sports on tv and watching it on a phone. If all my friends are watching something on a tv they see it way before I do on my phone so I’d love it if I could be up to speed!!😁

Userlevel 1

WiFi on London Underground with ID-Mobile 🚇 

Definitely holographic display and a virtual touch screen, so the phone itself can be tiny.

Userlevel 1

I know they’ve been done, but bring back replaceable batteries - so much better for the environment than ditching the whole phone or carrying an additional charger around... 

Userlevel 1

A slim reliable and efficient solar charging facility built into the phone. This would make them more eco friendly and save on household electricity and unnecessary and expensive extra accessories…plus no need for an additional travel plug on Sunny holidays! 

I'd like to share more features briefly  with others like signal as it fades in areas or battery for those times when we can help others, 

A screen that doesn't break or scratch so we don't need chunky screen protectors

And even joining phones so if watching a film we can place the phones aside one another and the programme is bigger shared over both phones 

Userlevel 1

3D holographic displays. including the ability to project screens outwards (like in ‘Minority Report’)

A proper signal and a reliable phone connection please!

Better battery, fast charging. The highest refresh rate you can get 

Why iD Mobile?