Our top hidden phone features

Our top hidden phone features
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

Got an important doc you need to scan and send for work? No worries. If you’ve got an iPhone, fire up your Notes app. Create a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Hit ‘Scan Documents’ and position your camera over the document. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan it in the same way you’d take a photo. Then just crop the corners of your doc, and when you’re happy with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! - Closed for new entries. 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys gift voucher! 

All you have to do is tell us below, what’s your favourite phone feature or hidden trick that not everyone may know about is. Maybe you use Google Lens to help you with translations, or perhaps you are a master of using gesture controls. Whatever it is we want to know!

Simply type your response below and click send - you’ll automatically be entered in to our random prize-draw. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 24th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after. 

Good Luck! 

T&C’s Apply 

167 replies

Userlevel 1

my favourite go to feature now on the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G is the ability to remaster photos, it’s called AI remastering and allows you to remove shadows and reflections. I found I was able to use this to remove reflections of windows from a photo that was taken from a steam locomotive window. you can access it by going to Gallery > Edit > Remaster Photo.

I help my mum identify birds by using the Google image search on images I take on my Google pixel. The amazing zoom on the camera is essential as I can get great pictures from farther away without scaring the birds. 

Allowing you to bookmark pages as a short cut on the home screen.

Definitely using my camera as a document scanner. Invaluable.

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature is the World clock. It reminds me when ringing around the world not to do it at the wrong time.

Userlevel 1

The double tap on the back of an iPhone to screenshot, so handy! 

Magic eraser, love it😜

I love being able to take a scrolling screenshot. 

Sometimes a single screenshot isn't enough, so being able to use the capture more option when taking a screenshot is so helpful. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite thing about my phone is my phone. It's perfect. Never an issue being with I.d.

I have discovered the night mode for photos amazing pics. Video calls. Messaging. Texting. WhatsApp.

So hard to find one perfect detail when there are sooooo many!!!

A big discovery for me was - extract text feature from an image.

Amazing technology and so incredible useful.

Userlevel 3

My favourite feature is that my phone will occasionally allow me to make a phone call 😎 

Userlevel 1

My favourite is finger print log in but I also love zoom and all camera functions and casting to the TV

I've loved all the smart features, like the automatic transcript on the audio recorder app, or being able to select images or text from multitasking view. I think ultimately my favourite feature is getting regular, timely updates from Google with features and security throughout the year. Helps to keep things fresh but also secure.

Userlevel 1

I like being able to dictate my text messages instead of tyoing

I was going to say the measure app but reading this blog I learned about the Magnify app, which I will now start using a lot to read those annoyingly small ingredients labels on food products and avoid the nasties that somehow make it into our food.

Userlevel 2

My favourite feature is the “off” button 🤣.  Important when you need to escape for a little while.

Userlevel 1

I’m forever buying new fragrances from Europe and the tracking information is never in English. On the iPhone you can highlight a language so the blue box appears and a small list of functions, press right and there is a translate option, it’s so handy and not many people know it’s there. 

I don’t have a tech tip.  but I use the timer on the clock All the Time.  In work, I often use it to remind me to stop doing one task and move on to another.  I use it to tell me to come off my screens.  I use it if I’ve had to put my car on limited parking.  I use alarms often in a similar way, and I’m a big fan of snooze.  not just for the morning lie in, but to remind me to keep going with tasks, or change them - for instance, to stop what I’m doing and get ready to go out in the morning.  My kids despair of all the alarms on all the devices..

I love the Google Lens feature. It helps identify what I am looking at and acts rather like a dictionary or encylopedia but so much faster. It can help me even source where to buy something should I be wanting to as it offers up multiple images of what I am checking out. A great app

Userlevel 2

My fave phone feature at the moment is the one I Learnt from you last week , how to change the clock font . You legends ! 

I recently used Google Lens to scan text from a photocopy of one page of a workbook l, from a book I no longer had, and couldn't remember the title or author of. Lens was able to scan and search, find the book. I am now the owner once again of Fiction Writer's Workshop by Josip Novakovich.

My favourite trick I’ve found on my iPhone se, is having the ability when taking a photo to have it take a few seconds of ‘live’ video action by pressing and holding down the trigger shoot button (home button!) It takes my photos to the the next level! Awesome 

Just using Siri to save typing in message’s makes life so much easier as you get older

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature of my phone is to swipe across the letters on the keyboard for each word to type. Loads of people don't know this feature exists

Userlevel 1

I just found out that if you press the little picture that looks like an old fashioned telephone receiver, you can apparently make calls like you used to be able to on the old phones, you just need a dial so that we can actually use it.

Why iD Mobile?