Our top hidden phone features

Our top hidden phone features
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

Got an important doc you need to scan and send for work? No worries. If you’ve got an iPhone, fire up your Notes app. Create a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Hit ‘Scan Documents’ and position your camera over the document. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan it in the same way you’d take a photo. Then just crop the corners of your doc, and when you’re happy with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! - Closed for new entries. 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys gift voucher! 

All you have to do is tell us below, what’s your favourite phone feature or hidden trick that not everyone may know about is. Maybe you use Google Lens to help you with translations, or perhaps you are a master of using gesture controls. Whatever it is we want to know!

Simply type your response below and click send - you’ll automatically be entered in to our random prize-draw. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 24th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after. 

Good Luck! 

T&C’s Apply 

167 replies

Userlevel 1

My favourite trick is the keyword search function in my gallery, it even finds small texts on the photos I’m looking for.

My favourite feature is zoom in on photos so I can take a photo of small print and be able to read it.

Userlevel 1

My favourite trick is swiping left and right on the space bar to move the cursor when typing.

Translation is so easy. I have friends all over the world and it's great to understand what they're up to via their social media accounts. 

My fav part is to move where ur typing by holding the space bar down

Userlevel 1

Minimise tabs. 

It's basically Multitab, it makes it easy to do calculations or to copy pins. By having a small application window open over the top of the main view. 

Userlevel 1

I've only just discovered the side menu on the right hand side of the screen (there's a little line - just drag it to the left)! I found these apps: notes, calendar, calculator, etc. Take a look.

I’ve just discovered the timer feature on my iPhone camera, Great for group selfies.

Userlevel 1

Love using lens in my pixel, got some interesting leads on unusual items , lots of stuff that was common years ago, also good for text recognition, able to cut and paste text into search, don't work every go but it's near enough 

My favourite feature on my iPhone is the identification on images of animals (dogs) and plants. Has helped me identify plants while out and about, although the dog one isn’t always accurate 

The pedometer is my all time favourite, as I’m over 75 it helps and encourages me to help keep active!

My favourite trick is making a gesture so all i need to do it double tap the back of my phone for it to return to the home screen. This is extremely useful if you are having a problem with your screen freezing or it is damaged.

My favourite and most used feature is being able to move the cursor by holding the space bar down. Makes emailing and managing accounts a lot easier. 

Userlevel 1

I love the control feature of the torch, there are 4 different torch settings to use which has really become beneficial to me

Userlevel 1

Hallo 

My very favourite is scanning documents option for memo on my iPhone. It helps to save a lots of time when I need upload some paperwork quickly or conventional scanner is not available. Quality of those scans is more than just enough to serve the purpose. 

Mike

My favourite feature is the one that allows you to have multiple windows open and then easily swap between them by swiping up and across.

Document Scan on the camera.

Perfect for submitting my expense receipts for work

Sure, here's a hidden trick that not everyone may know about:

On some Android phones, you can access a hidden game called "Android Easter Egg." To access it, go to your phone's settings, then go to "About Phone" and find the "Android version" option. Tap on it repeatedly until a small icon or logo appears. Tap on that logo a few times until a large version of it appears. Then, long-press on the logo, and a new screen will appear with a hidden game that you can play. The game varies depending on the version of Android you are running, but it's usually a simple game that can provide a fun distraction.

My Fav tip is to use Link to Windows!! On my Samsung  S21 FE I can share my phone screen, access and download photos and even use apps on my desktop PC. 

Stealing Text from photos is awesome. Used it loads from screenshots and normal pics. 

The best feature I’ve ever found hidden away on my android phone is the ability to create custom voice commands for google assistant. Down in Assistant settings you can view all the shortcut commands and even create your own. It’s especially useful for the phrases that are longwinded or difficult for some people to say!

I like the feature where with a couple of flicks of my wrist my camera is activated and I’m ready to snap away!

My favourite thing about my Pixel has to be the magic eraser!

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature is using google camera to scan QR code. I didnt know google did it! I was at specsavers and needed to scan a qr code. I was feeling really awkward as I now had to download QR reader scanner app on my phone. Thankfully the advisor told me about using the camera next to google search that took me straight to the website! Really life saver!

My favourite feature is Notes in IPhone. Where I kept my all important document, password, privet details etc. So if I forget anything it will easier to find out within a minutes. 

Why iD Mobile?