Our top hidden phone features

Our top hidden phone features
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

Got an important doc you need to scan and send for work? No worries. If you’ve got an iPhone, fire up your Notes app. Create a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Hit ‘Scan Documents’ and position your camera over the document. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan it in the same way you’d take a photo. Then just crop the corners of your doc, and when you’re happy with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! - Closed for new entries. 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys gift voucher! 

All you have to do is tell us below, what’s your favourite phone feature or hidden trick that not everyone may know about is. Maybe you use Google Lens to help you with translations, or perhaps you are a master of using gesture controls. Whatever it is we want to know!

Simply type your response below and click send - you’ll automatically be entered in to our random prize-draw. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 24th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after. 

Good Luck! 

T&C’s Apply 

167 replies

Shaking the phone to undo delete eg for emails 

The android phone has a super quality screen shot and it is super easy control mode in menu settings and is silent to use just very satisfying. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite is asking Siri to set a timer. Invaluable when cooking and have mucky hands.

Userlevel 1

I love that I can flick my wrist to turn on the torch. Super useful in the night!

My favourite feature was the voice control to take selfies. I just say "cheese" and the picture was taken!

Google translate using the camera. You don´t need to type the text just tap on the camera icon and “BOOM” (very practical with special characters that maybe you don't even have in your keyboard)

Userlevel 1

I m loving all the features because foe every specific case we need all of them, aso I don't have any preferences!

Userlevel 1

Most useful thing is Swipe down on lock screen to get to important features without having to go through settings like wifi, airplane mode and the torch.

Userlevel 1

The magnifying option is a godsend to me with my slightly failing eyesight. It makes life much easier!

‘Hi Bixby - Torch On’.  Very handy when wrestling with bags and keys on dark nights.

I don't remember how I did it, but was well chuffed with myself at the time.

My favourite feature (and there are many) about my pixel 7 is the face detection on auto rotate. There's nothing worse that using your phone whilst laid down and having to turn off auto rotate every time when it suddenly flips the wrong way. Well not on Google's watch! It very cleverly (and a bit creepily) detects your face and aligns the rotate to match your face. So when lying down it stays put! Love it!

Userlevel 1

All these articles are useful. I take a snapshot of them so I remember what. To do 

Userlevel 1

I use Microsoft Lens, a free app, to scan small text such as the instructions on a packet of food or a box of medication and it will then read the text to you.  As a visually impaired IPhone user finding this app has proved to be incredibly useful.

I also use it to scan expenses receipts sending them to OneDrive ready for my next claim and to scan paper documents turning them into editable Word documents.

My favorite is  video on my phone as well as reading and sending text messages at the same time

Userlevel 2

WOW! Magnifying glass. Who knew.

It’s obvious when someone points it out but it had never occurred to me that this feature could be used in that way. Useful.

Discovered by accident- the scroll down from top of phone for quick open functions,

now i can turn hotspot on and off with out having search through the setting.

I am using quite a few of these, depending on the needs but I really like the swipe from left to right by the side of your palm to get a screenshot.

Helps a lot if you need to email screenshot from receipts to parts of conversations.

Very useful feature.

Userlevel 2

Twist to open the camera on my Motorola.

I find the “Search for a song” button in Google Search very handy when I hear a song and what to know what it’s called / who’s singing it. Tap the mic in the Google Search bar an then click on the button at the bottom of the screen.

For me it has to be the “shared albums” in apple photos app for IOS, so if you would like to save space in your iPhone, you can create a shared album, you can then share it with yourself (your own email address) once created and uploaded you can then delete the original photo-video from the phones memory clearing space in the phone, the vid or photo can be accessed from the iPhone, and can be downloaded any time, I believe apple will let you upload up to 5000 vids of photos which could help someone with a low capacity memory iPhone.

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature of my mobile phone is how low my monthly bills are with ID Mobile.

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature is the swipe to screenshot!

Step counter - I love it and have to get my steps in every day. Keeps me active.

my favourite is to connect my car to my phone via bluetooth and then use Siri to play songs from Spotify or make a call for me, it’s so much easier than using the console system in my car and is truly handsfree :)

Userlevel 1

My favourite hidden feature is my phone automatically detecting peoples' faces in my photos. I can search all my pictures for specific people, or even combinations of specific people. Very handy!

Why iD Mobile?