Question

data roaming not working in US

• 21 January 2024
  • 33 replies

Landed yesterday and I am unable to use mobile data.

Please help

it seems a number of Idmobile customers have this issue

33 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Your iD plan allowances (including data) can’t be used on an inclusive basis in the US, @Philc797

Have you set your bill cap high enough to cover any roaming mobile data charges for the US?

Are you using a compatible / supported handset for the roaming network you’re trying to use, @Philc797?. 

I am aware that my UK bundle does not apply in the US.

Texts and calls work just fine and I am not close to

my bill cap.

i am using an iPhone 14 which I have assumed will be compatible.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Philc797, if your calls and texts work, then it sounds like an APN settings issue.

Sometimes performing a NETWORK RESET will fix this - the iOS user guide explains how. 

🤞

I am unable to change the APN settings. It seems that they are pre-configured by Idmobile when the phone is sent.

The APN settings is the answer that other people have been given and they have responded in the same way I have - that these cannot be changed.

a network reset seems risky while I am out of the UK as it could stop calls and texts working.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah @Philc797, unfortunately the network profile iD Mobile provide for iPhone devices doesn’t allow the user to change their APN settings.

The APN value should be “id” (lowercase) - what’s shown in your settings? 

Another solution / workaround offered for this issue is described by iD support in a post in the following forum topic: 

Have you considered using a data-only eSIM in your iPhone 14, @Philc797

In 2023, I used a data-only eSIM in my iPhone while travelling in the US, which worked well and was cheaper than using mobile data at the iD 30p per MB rate for the US.

I have thought about that but I am concerned that when I go on holiday to Europe in summer it won’t work either.

This could then impact myself, my wife and daughter too.

so I would like it to be resolved so roaming works.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have thought about that but I am concerned that when I go on holiday to Europe in summer it won’t work either.

This could then impact myself, my wife and daughter too.

so I would like it to be resolved so roaming works.

Okay @Philc797, earlier posts said calls and texts are working for roaming in the US, but your roaming data does not. This suggests there’s an issue with APN settings.

Other topics in this forum, about NO roaming data, could indicate iD Mobile can’t fix the issue. 

Hopefully iD Mobile support can fix this issue before your summer holiday, @Philc797.

🍀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Philc797

In order to check coverage issues abroad we can only troubleshoot the issue whilst abroad.

Can you please confirm which network partner you are connected to.

You’ll need to connect to AT&T and T-Mobile whilst in the USA.

Kash

I am always connected to AT&T which works fine for calls and SMS but still no mobile data

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I am always connected to AT&T which works fine for calls and SMS but still no mobile data

Okay @Philc797, with iOS 17.2+, in config option “Settings > Mobile Service > Mobile Data Network”, under MOBILE DATA, the value after APN should be “id” (lowercase). 

If this APN value isn’t “id”, your roaming mobile data won’t be available.

That appears as “ID” in uppercase but it doesn’t look like I can edit that value

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It’s possible the iD Mobile settings checker might help, @Philc797

You can try this online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-your-settings/settings-tool

Unfortunately @Philc797, the network profile iD Mobile provide for iPhone devices DOES NOT allow the user to change their APN settings. 
🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Philc797 

Have you tried resetting your network settings while roaming?

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Yes. I was told to do that by Idmobile customer service. Nothing changed though. My issue is supposed to be with technical team now but I haven’t heard anything and I’m going home today 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Philc797,

It can take the Technical Team up to 72 hours to investigate an issue on some occasions.

If you don’t hear back after this time, please let us know.

Kash

@Kash Has this issue ever been resolved? Seems like this issue has been outstanding for a while, I have the same issue at the moment while in the USA?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Kash Has this issue ever been resolved? Seems like this issue has been outstanding for a while, I have the same issue at the moment while in the USA?

If your calls and texts are working, then it’s most likely a problem with the APN settings, @mdavies62.

Sometimes roaming partner networks seem to provide an incorrect APN value - should be “id” (in lowercase).

Thanks @andewhite, I’ve seen this in other threads but there is no way to change the APN from ID to “id”. 

@Kash there have been many people asking the same question, is there a resolution? Thanks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @andewhite, I’ve seen this in other threads but there is no way to change the APN from ID to “id”. 

@Kash there have been many people asking the same question, is there a resolution? Thanks.

If you’re using an iPhone device @mdavies62, then unfortunately the network profile iD Mobile provide for iPhone handsets doesn’t allow the user to amend their APN settings.

Sometimes after performing a NETWORK RESET, the APN value gets set correctly.

Also have tried that several times - no joy!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry to hear that @mdavies62

Do you have a screen-shot showing your APN settings for roaming in the USA? 

Which of iD Mobile’s roaming partners are you using in the USA? 

AT&T and T-Mobile mainly.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I suspect that iOS converts the service provider name to UPPERCASE, @mdavies62

The APN settings are normally shown under MOBILE DATA. 

Usually the Settings > Mobile Service > Mobile Data Network option, will allow you to see your APN settings. 

The Mobile Data Network doesn’t appear to there on your iPhone, which could be down to the iD Mobile network profile for iPhone devices.

Yes, ID Mobile are aware of this, but there doesn’t seem to be a fix.

@Kash copied as you were an many of the other threads, so you aware of this problem. What is the plan to fix it?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @mdavies62, I doubt iD have, nor plan to have, a fix for this issue.

When I’m using my SMARTY SIM card in my iPhone, I’m able to edit my APN settings. Apple will tell you this option is controlled by the network carrier. 

Why iD Mobile?